Buying a new rs2 turbo charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new rs2 turbo charger

I have tried in vain to buy a used RS2 turbo,, so I think my only option is a new one.
    So where is the best place to buy a new one and how much.

Just talked to Pete at quattro corner. Audi have the only stock of OEM RS2 turbos now. Hence list price from 1.2k to 1.9K. Thus I presume KKK/Warner are no longer making them.

Just checked Borg warner stockist in Huddersfield. Now a 'dealer only exclusive' so it looks like that is the only source of a new OEM turbo.
    Last edited by alg; 30 November 2009, 11:11.
    Alastair
    RS2

Comment

and you can have 3 turbos for that money.

Comment

Some of the CT turbos are a lot less than that new and are similar sized Otherwise what about a recon one from AET or TD?
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

ebay.de is your friend, there is usually at least 4 on there for sale... i have seen them go for as little as £300
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/gat350trw48.html

or one of these brand new for 75 more and its brand new.

Comment

What about a new GT 2871, I'm toying with the idea of going for one in future instead of getting my K26 hybrid reconditioned. Much cheaper than an RS2 turbo and easier on the rods.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Hmm don't know about cheaper as you need new inlet boot, oil line, water lines and then remap it works out more.

Great thing about the RS2 is stock fitment and there two known good generic chip sets for it.

Countering that the 2871 has been pushed to 458 bhp by Kalsket on his RS2

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post

Great thing about the RS2 is stock fitment and there two known good generic chip sets for it.

Hi jamo! but those with stock rods?
                  - Looking for a S2
                  - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                  - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

You need to worry about peak low torque with rods more than the bhp which is why the RS2 can be a banana maker. The 2871r generates about 550 nm so within safety limits

Comment

Hmm don't know about cheaper as you need new inlet boot, oil line, water lines and then remap it works out more.

Yeah, good point, a remap is going to be £500 min. There again with a 2871 you don't have to open the engine to extract the best from it, where as you be crazy not to with an RS2 turbo if planning on pushing it anywhere near its limits. New rods, shells, gaskets and labour have got to add up to well over a grand.

Six of one half a dozen of the other I'd say.
                      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

You need to worry about peak low torque with rods more than the bhp which is why the RS2 can be a banana maker. The 2871r generates about 550 nm so within safety limits
                        Sure! well I have a mental conflict because dunno which of the two turbochargers (gt2871r\k24-7200) for a street use on a heavy car as the C4. As you said before, the rs2's has the advantage that is a direct replace. If your goal is the best torque on the low rpm, fast spool up (i know the rs2's loses some points on this), and no more than 400bhp, stock rods and a well efficient IC... which one would you choose?
                        - Looking for a S2
                        - Lancia Dedra HF turbo i.e. (4sale)
                        - Typ89 Coupè quattro, 20Vt AAN, VEMS, K24-7000@1.3bar (scrapped )

sigpic

Comment

There's no cheap route to reliable power, if the rods will take it then the clutch more than likely won't last, if you go for a Garrett with a T3 flange you need a differnt EM, you need a bigger IC and a remap whatever you do, best to have the internals balanced and fit a SM flywheel and uprated clutch... I keep going round in circles and ending up back at the same figure for my car... £5k to finish it to 400bhp. Better to save up and do it all correctly, then you get the maximum for the money spent. Also, if you do a halfway house tuning effort and then upgrade later on then you're spending the money twice

220bhp, speak to Repo, he does CT turbos and I've talked to him about RS2 equivalents or RS2+ earlier in the year, he'll give you very good advice as Jamo and TerryB will testify.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

RS2 spool is as much down to the map as the turbo as s2avant will testify. Get an more aggressive map or spring in there (minding the rods for sure) and it'll do a much better job than the stock RS2 map.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

For a fit, forget, no faff install RS2 turbo with rs2 exhaust manifold or Wagner EVO manifold, look at S2avants car pushing 0-60 in 4 seconds and 12 second quarter miles on stock rods with the RS2 turbo.

Dont forget the RS2 rods are the same as ABY they aren't uprated and there are plenty of chipped RS2's out there pushing 370+ bhp on the stock rods

The 2871 and 3071 will give you more power and pull all the way to redline, but the lower torque gives them a smoother feel also bi-tubo like.

For less faff the RS2 is a far easier install and that counts a lot for the casual modder

Comment

Working...
                              X