Expensive Noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive Noises

Well there I was... at full chat going from 4th to 5th past a long line of traffic on a wide open A road and there is this mighty bang followed by what sounds like a misfire and/or blowing exhaust.

Scared me witless - its all going thru my mind - all this time on chips (and the new set I'm brewing now) with an engine at 119k miles - I'm thinking that something major has bit the dust and I can almost see the extra zero being added to my Visa bill. Oh sh*t

Car is still pulling OK, no smoke, pressures & temps OK and I'm less than a mile from home. I carefully bring her back home and am sure that I can smell exhaust gas, thinkin' I must have cracked something...

Then I remembered that just yesterday I had fitted the CO measuring tube onto my exhaust downpipe (these were only fitted on 3B in the factory) so I wondered had it worked loose... Oh no - the attached photograph tells the story much better. Too much of a coincidence.

Guess the factory bung (brand new) ain't rated for the kind of exhaust gas pressures when humping 1.45 bar around. The bung didn't last 50 miles so I gotta wonder has anybody else had this happen to them. Maybe I got a dufff bung.

Must admit it didn't feel somehow right when I squeezed it on so there's 20:20 hindsight for you. I'm thinking that a neatly made metallic insert for the bung might be an improvement.

Cheers & Phew

Paul
    Attached Files
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

I am thinking of using that hole for the EGT gauge that I have.

Well that is if I can get that bolt out with the impact wrench.
    I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Josh, you'll be able to get the bolt out but my advice is to heat it well first, then use the impact wrench on it. Once more, heat it well!

Paul, you scared the sh*t out of me dude!

'98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

Paul, you scared the sh*t out of me dude!
        Me too!!!! :eek2:
        Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
        Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

Oh yes, Paul, before I forget:

You seriously need to get rid of your cats m8, that "bung" (didn't know bung could be used for such a thing?) isn't supposed to blow, even when not attached with a clamp, so this means the pressure you're getting in the exhaust after the turbo is way too high and has no way of going totally through the cats, hence the bung blowing.

Cheers,

Mihnea

PS: any news on my 3B generic load?
          '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

Yeah its weird - the misfire and orrible noise was most apparent in the 2-4k range.

It did make a helluva strange noise when it blew off - just as I was passing a convertible BuM-Wiper - he must of had a shock !

@Mihnea - I have the new 3B load ready to go for Dave's car and we'll get them tested very soon I hope. Will let you know ASAP.

Cheers,

Paul
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul,

I had exactly the same problem with the replacement bung I bought recently. It didn't blow off, but split into two or three bits within a couple of days. The new rubber bungs are brownish in colour and seem to be made out of really hard rubber, whereas the original one on my S2 was blue and made out of softer stuff.

I think my problem may have been caused by the jubilee clip biting into the rubber and splitting it. I've put my new replacement bung on without a clamp and it's still there 2 months later.

HTH
              Steve.
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

SH*T - I have a knackered, orange - heat baked one on my car - looks like the original - thought about replacing it but might wait now untill you find a decent solution.

Cats are coming off mine soon anyways - keep grounding the car out on those flat topped sleeping policemen

Get the MOT done in oct with them on then time for a new fabricated connection from the downpipe to the two aft pipes from the rear of the cats. I am assuming its best to keep those twin pipes from behind the cats to retain a bit of back pressure that splitting the exhaust gasses will cause? Having said that they are 2 x 2.5 inch so probably be no back pressure anyways right???

Am I going to wake the neighbours when these cats go - already set their car alarm off when i start mine first thing in the morning lol!

Cheers,

David
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Josh-stateside
                  I am thinking of using that hole for the EGT gauge that I have.

Well that is if I can get that bolt out with the impact wrench.
                  Thats exactly what mark H has done on his think he got the kit from Greddy with sensor etc.
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Mines the original one made in 1991. Never blown one apart!! Run for 10 years with the cats! Must be a dodgy one.

Never doubted the chips Paul. They are good stuff!!
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                    X