Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lousy mileage

Gents,

after a top dollar service at my local stealers, the car seems to be giving me awful mileage. I am sure that before hand I was averaging 25MPG plus, and now for the same journey I am only getting 21 MPG. Now I did change jobs recently, it may be a fault in my memeory and I am thinking back to the previous longer commute, but I am a bit depressed by this. I have also had a problem getting it started when warm a few times recently, took several goes but it always gets there. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve

New Forum: Woo, Yay and Hoopla!
    Avant. Stock.

Did they change the lambda probe perchance ?

That or they fitted the wrong spark plugs ?

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

They didn't change the lambda probe (as far as I know), that was the first thing I thought of, but could they have managed to muck up a contact whilst dicking around with it? Are you supposed to change the lambda probes as part of regular servicing? Would Spark plugs make that much difference? It is running smoothly enough, not misfiring or anything, how would I check?

Tsk, always wih the questions, thanks Paul.

Steve
      Avant. Stock.

Comment

Lambda probes get changed every 60000 miles but are not a service item. Spark plugs should be every 40000. Make sure the plugs are secure and they should be Bosch F5DPOR platinum plugs.
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

re: mileage

steve , I dont think 21mpg is too unusual for an S2 I did'nt reset my av. mpg for 1500 miles & averaged 21.9mpg.
          I also have a peugoet405 diesel for work which gets 48mpg!!!
          But guess which car I prefer to drive! In this country if ya enjoy something you have to pay Big Broon!
          Cheers,
          Simon

Comment

Hi Alfie

I average between 21 & 22 also.
            I would say from my experience dealers are'nt necessarily the experts you would think they would be,although some would say you have more comeback,i think even that is debatable.
            I have found with dealers proof of the puddin is usually in the drive? afterwards!!!
            Rob W
            04 Audi S4 Avant
            55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
            92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
            1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

21-22 mpg!!!
              Sh*t i only get about 15-16 mpg. Maybe i drive it a bit harder
              There isn't a day go past when i dont do over 120 mph. Not really honest. Its a great car to drive and the roads out my way are just brilliant.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

As for the latest greatest ABY home fries - the average mileage on a 70 mile run yesterday - mixture of A and B roads with some jams, LOTS of roundabouts and trundling thru 30 zones in villages was an awesome 27.4mpg. Yes folks - twenty seven point four. This was no deliberate economy run - just a normal drive to check some mid range tweaks that I made last week and I decided to check the MPG as I was also monitoring the lambda probe output on the hoof.

Average speed on the run was 45mph despite several prolonged overtaking moves where the road allowed. Not too shabby considering they also produce 430Nm and 280bhp and drive wonderfully smoothly

One more test run and EGT tests to confirm and we are there. With this sort of MPG, they will pay for themselves very quickly. I used to average 22-23 on the standard chips so its a significant step forward.

I was actually concerned they may be running a little too lean, but on examination of the spark plugs (which came out by hand :bug they look a perfectly fine light tan colour with no visible signs of overheating.

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hi Paul
                  Those home fries sound great all round Paul.
                  I cant believe manufacturers(car/chip) have the affrontery to produce a car without spending a bit more time and effort on the brain of the car,as it seems to me there must of been a lot development left to do on there part,makes you wonder what else they skimped on!!!
                  Rob W
                  04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Paul......... Quite simply

GIMME GIMME GIMME
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I second that motion OH YES ,any news on the 3b variant paul???
                      Rob W
                      04 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Paul

The home fries will be 'plug and play' as it were? They could be done by post with no probs?

As you know I'm really interested, will my decat (hapens tomorrow) have any effect or will changing things such as air filters at a later stage cause any probs?

I think I'm not using my car to its full potnetial or maybe it is running lean. Last month when I had the brakes done at hispec I did a 380 mile round trip on one tank of fuel (and that is the smaller Avant tank). It was mostly motorway at about 80-85 mph, some stationary traffic around the M25/M1 and then some roadworks (50-60mph) further up the M1. When I refuelled and worked it out it was 32 mpg

So with a home fry I'm guessing on Lands End to John O'groats on half a tank!
                        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Hi,

I must be doing something wrong or my right foot is very heavy

I never get more than 18 around town and I once saw 24 on a run.

However, since I added the RS2 bits and Mihnea's chips the mpg has started to improve

Cheers
                          Steve
                          91 Modded 3B
                          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I must have heavy shoes! Over the last two months I've averaged 16.4!

I have fun doing it mind you. Scared the cr@p out of an Octavia VRS by going past him at 130 on Saturday afternoon!
                            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

OK, so perhaps I just have a case of the paranoias, but I was getting better mileage before I am sure. I did however take it on a longer run on Saturday and the mileage was much better, up to 25-26MPG, so I am going to put it down to poor traffic, the urge to get home as soon as possible at the end of the day and increased use of the airconditioning.

Thanks for the info Mike, I will have a look at the plugs at least, just in case.....

Steve
                              Avant. Stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X