no clutch shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no clutch shifting

It is impossible for me to heel-toe my Audi. But I have read in Dennis Jenks book about shifting w/o using the clutch. I can do this pretty handily using the gas to get the rpm right and then popping the car into gear. This means I can leftfoot brake and gear down when I get this practiced.

But here is the question. What kind of violence am I subjecting my gearbox to? BTDT preferred. Clever conjecture accepted.

Rich

Rich, if you are spot on with your changes AFAICT you will do no damage at all. If you get revs and shift right all you are doing is replacing the synchro's job.

However, get it wrong and you are mashing cogs together.

I learnt no-clutch changes in a company van. I spent two years driving a Maestro van !!!! and I used the clutch at most 30% of the time. Never killed a gearbox in 50k miles. But that was on a front wheel drive. The 4wd unit is bit heavier and as a result harder to get dead right.

Having said that the only time I drive my own car like this is when I have to. I have had to do a 30mile journey to limp a car home after clutch cable went bang.

Jim
    Jim

Comment

Cheers Jim,

That answer was helpful. It was exactly what I was wondering. So it is just the "small" matter of getting the rpm's just right then.

About "having to" I can't quite see how to both brake and gear down without it. Now if I could heel-toe my pig, I would do that but adjusting the pedals enough to do that seems impossible.

Rich

Comment

Heel-Toe

...not a prob to heel/toe but the pedals are not great for this in the S2.

Cannot left foot brake though to save my life, feels awkward and subjects all to a dashboard chewing session. For some reason always able to do it in a kart though and with good effect

Love to be able to drag the brake pedal closer to the accelerator though....

Cheers,

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

A friend of mine thought it was clever to train his company car - Vauxhall Cavalier - to run without the clutch. Needless to say, 2 months later it needed a new clutch and gearbox.

He also went through 3 sets of new brake discs/pads in 2 months on his Astra Sri (going back some time now) and we had a bit of a problem when he clipped a kerb at 110mph and popped both his tyres.

My solution to that was novel - changed spare on one, superglued the other back together. It was still inflated the morning after, no problem.

I seemed to spend a lot of time sorting out my mates cars - one had a capri that pumped (presumably poisonous) black smoke out of the centre vent at 100mph or over. At 99 mph - no smoke - at 100, we all started to die slowly.

And another friend revved his MG Metro so hard all the time it had fire coming out the exhaust with every gearchange. In the 12 months he had the car, he 'aged' it 10 years, despite doing only 5,000 miles. He bought it for £3500 and got £200 trade in. Nuttas all. I miss them
          'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Working...
          X