Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunt and whine

Hi,

Anyone have a rear diff/prop that whine/warbles at about 40mph or better still know what is causing it? Mine is a 1992 3b.

I thought it was just the mounts on the gearbox and the rear diff moving a bit to much and allowing some driveline shunt but on chatting with a couple of people it could be the start of some rear diff probs?

Any BTDT and any idea how simple it is to change the mounts as Audi want about £520 for that privilage.

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Hi David,

I'm affraid some propshaft/diff shunt is common on higher mileage quattros. I recently replaced all three diff mounts on my S2 and it didn't really improve the shunt.

Replacing the rear diff mounts isn't difficult and will take you an hour or so to complete.

Good luck

Steve.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve,

Cheers - is your prop quiet though, i.e. no wub wub wub noise? Strangely i had this about a year ago and you can barely hear it in the passenger seat but from the drivers seat you can.

Maybe my ears are over sensitive and i should turn the radio up

Cheers,

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi David,

No wub, wub noise from my propshaft, so our symptoms aren't the same.

On my car I have a sort of rattle that can only be heard low down in each gear. As the car picks up speed it disappears. I've always guessed at it being gearbox or Torsen related, however, it's been like that for over a year and hasn't really got any worse.

Cheers
        Steve.
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

Yeah that noise is the bearings in the gearbox that have a little bit of slack in them, nothing to worry about! I also get the shunt noise but then i think the diff and the prop and well worn with 145k on them
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

was speaking to kim collins about this also (rattle at about 2k rpm) said its the gearbox and pretty normal on higher mileage cars, and nothing to worry about
            my friends 90Q started to do it also

martin

Comment

Martin,

Thanks for the info, It's nice to know I shouldn't be too worried about it. I wonder if refilling the gearbox with new oil would help to reduce it?

Cheers
              Steve.
              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
              X