Wheel Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Alignment

Another question whilst i think of it seems this is the reason i need new tyres...

Where would you suggest for the allignment to be done? I'm assuming as its 4wd that it would need to be fone precisely together with the camber set up.
    Is that the case?

Or would you trust a local tyre place that can do 4 wheel alignment??

Main reason i ask is cos i dont wanna kill my tyres in the same way again and also cos AmD offer the 4 wheel alignment but at quite a cost.

Opinions please
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

I got mine done from QST. They charge 65 pounds if its straight forward (camber and tracking). I was charged 85 cos my track rod ends were seized but its made a world of difference.

Comment

I've used a garage up here for a few years that has the laser alignment jig - you probably have a receipt for it Ant? I'm sure I got that car done there.

It costs £37 + £12 for the rear and £18 for unseizing the track rod ends - I think these are almost always seized - The £18 is becasue they take the track rod end and adjuster off the car - make sure they don't just heat it all up so they knacker the track rod end - could be worth replacing these anyway.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

In terms of experience and knowledge, from my experience, it is best to take it to an Audi MD. Most of these 'Kwikfit' style places have never had to deal with a 4wd car, and aint got a clue.

I took my 1 to a 'Kwikfit' style garage down in North London.

After their 1st attempt I noticed that the car was pulling severely to the left.

Took it back a week later and the settings were all WAY off again. They re-set them at no extra charge.

On the way home noticed pulling still there - so turned around and headed straight back. They told me they'd need to spend more time on it, and to bring it back following week for the whole afternoon.

Took it back, and after they spend a couple of hours on it they said they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

In the end, took it to Audi MD. Within 15 minutes they told me that the reason for the 'severe pulling' was because at some point in time car had had a shunt on the tyre, (not in my time it aint!), and that I'd need to change a whole loada things underneath to get it straight again!

Comment

Do the kwik fitty places not just use the light gauges and rely on the rear wheels being correctly set? Do they even check the camber?

Comment

Doug,

The "kwikfit" style place I used had the lazer machine. They did actually check and align all the wheels and checked the camber too. The only worrying thing was that a week after they 1st carried out the allignment it was knocked off centre again! I compared the 1st print out of the allignment with the 2nd print out and it was shocking how much of a difference there was after just 1 week.

Comment

Those differences are more likely due to poor practice. IMO this job should never be trusted to any sort of Quick Fit place - you know the place - when they have it up on ramps and THEN ask 'is it a four by four mate ?'

Run, run like the wind, and don't look back !

Get this done by a main dealer with the proper 4-wheel optical alignment gear. AMD, QST and some decent body repair shops have the right kit and suitably trained staff.

It is also a little known fact that the S2 has to have the steering rack clamped with a special VAG tool when doing the alignment as per Audi OFRM. This tool is different for RHD and LHD cars.

Cheers,

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Most decent Laser Alignment systems come with a clamp for the steering wheel to hold it true whils the alignment is carried out anyway
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by sal_s2
                  I got mine done from QST. They charge 65 pounds if its straight forward (camber and tracking). I was charged 85 cos my track rod ends were seized but its made a world of difference.
                  Where was that Doug ? I used Ladybank tyres for the 4 wheel alignment but they don't do camber. I have heard that Star Performance in Glenrothes will do both.
                  Editor AOC www.audiclub.co.uk
                  Editor Audifans www.audifans.net
                  AOC Member of the Year 2003-2004
                  (1994 80 Saloon - Titan Grey\V6 bumper\S2 Avant bumper\80 Competition Alloys - Nice but it certainly isn't an S2 )

Comment

My last car has problems with worn tyres but the main dealer said the tracking was fine.

So I had a four wheel alignment done (rear wheel drive car with all wheels adjustable) with a laser set up at a local independent place. They used a steering wheel wheel lock thingy. Car stayed totally true until I sold it (18 months later). Cost about 15 quid I think.

Called the main dealer and asked them what they were playing at they said 'oh we don't have a full four wheel alignment system' f*cking cowboys.

I'm sure Audi Quoted me £95 :eek2: when I enquired a while ago.

Leigh
                    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Local dealer up here wanted £270 for an alignment "check" and 1/2 a day to do it.

Don't think so
                      (1994 80 Saloon - Titan Grey\V6 bumper\S2 Avant bumper\80 Competition Alloys - Nice but it certainly isn't an S2 )

Comment

******' 'ell :eek2: they have got to be taking the piss :wacked:
                        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by cq20v
                          Where was that Doug ? I used Ladybank tyres for the 4 wheel alignment but they don't do camber. I have heard that Star Performance in Glenrothes will do both.
                          It was CLCM Tyre Service/Autotyre - it's got a couple of names - It's in Sighthill Industrial Estate - 0131 453 2698. If the track rod ends weren't seized he would have done it while I was there.

I knew Star did it but didn't even bother asking as I've used them before.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2

I knew Star did it but didn't even bother asking as I've used them before.
                            Do I take it you would not recommend Star ?

Comment

you have a PM Owen

Comment

Working...
                              X