RS2 callipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 callipers

I've been offered a pair of rs2 front callipers for a very reasonable figure (the princely sum of no pounds and no pence).

What do I need to fit them on my avant?

I assume the mythical 314x30 disc is suitable but will I need to have them milled down?

Will the rs2 caliiper brackets be suitable, or will I need custom ones?

will I need wheel spacers for the discs?

I don't want to get into the changing hubs if I can help it.

Ideally I'd like to complete the conversion using off the shelf VAG parts throughout, firstly because it's easier to replace anything that goes wrong and secondly because I get genuine bits cheap.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Ben,

All you'll need with these calipers is a set of 314x30 discs (I can get you a pair of cross-drilled Zimmermanns for 200 Euro+shipping if you need a pair, or undrilled ones for 150), then a pair of RS2 brackets (I can have them fabricated for cheaper than the Audi parts as well, but not before the beginning of August), a few shims in order to space the caliper from the bracket and you're set. You'll need to add 2 5mm shims to space the caliper towards the inner side of the wheel (dammit I can't explain what I want to tell) and thus you won't need to have the discs machined to 304mm.

Cheers,

Mihnea
    '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
    info@MRCTuning.com
    Workshop Directions

Comment

arent the RS2 disc's a different offset etc to the S2 ones?
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Yes, the offset is a little different but 2x 1mm shims will take care of that by placing the caliper more inboard of the disc, hence my saying about the shims. The brackets that I can have made can be made so there's no need for any shims, they take care of that on their own.
        '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
        info@MRCTuning.com
        Workshop Directions

Comment

that makes alot of sense. Because you quite often see them advertised on EBay and the like but i always thought it wasnt possible to fit the RS2 Disks and Calipers straight on. (Couple of shims ok) Because the wheel fitment was totally different.

Quite handy to know
          Greg

Comment

Heh, that's why I'm here

www.MRCTuning.com
            info@MRCTuning.com
            Workshop Directions

Comment

Mihnea,

I think I get the idea. Are you saying that you need shims to move the calliper further from the hub (nearer to the wheel) to accommodate the bigger disc?

If you can get some brackets made that mean it's a bolt on job I'd certainly be interested. Could you give me a price?

Are the 314x30 discs the same as the VAG ones? or is the hat height different? The reason I ask is that the I can get standard VAG discs for next to nothing.

Am I correct in assuming I could still use the rs2 pads?

Thanks

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Ben,

Yes, the brackets I can have fabricated would make the job a real bolt-on! Price-wise I think they should be around 120 Euro but I can't commit yet, the guy who does them is still on holidays.
                The discs I can offer you are the Audi A8 or S6 2.2 20v discs in 314x30mm, and if you can get them from Audi for next to nothing, get them! BTW if you can have another set of calipers for the same ridiculous price as you did for yourself, I'd like a set for a friend too!

And yes, you will have to use the RS2 pads, the benefit of using the full 314mm discs is that there will be about 10mm next to the hub on which the pads won't bite, and that means a lot less risk or warping the discs.

Cheers,

Mihnea

www.MRCTuning.com
                info@MRCTuning.com
                Workshop Directions

Comment

Unfortunately the callipers are a one off. My mechanic has them lying around in his workshop. He was going to fit them on his AAN S4 but I've persuaded him otherwise. Just got to persuade him that swopping intake manifolds is a good idea

If the brackets are around that price I'm certainly interested. Let me know when your friend is back.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

just had a word with my friendly insurance and been told there is no extra premium for upgrading the brakes but if it needed to be repalced on insurance would only be standard items.

they have to refer to insurer's if you touch the engine or body work though
                    Greg

Comment

Are you sure the calipers are the small ones (968 CS)? Because the RS2 also came with the big calipers from the 993 bi-turbo!

In that case everything is different, then you don't have to mill discs and make special brackets. Because then you can directly bolt on the S8 discs.

greets
                      RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                      RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
                      Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                      High Octane website

Comment

Jeffer, even with 993 bi-turbo calipers, you'll still need the RS2 brackets!

Cheers,

Mihnea

www.MRCTuning.com
                        info@MRCTuning.com
                        Workshop Directions

Comment

That's absolutely true, but...

Then there's less hassle to fit the discs.
                          No milling, no spacers, same disc offset, cheaper, BIGGER!!

greets
                          RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                          Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                          High Octane website

Comment

Well, there'll be no spacers and no milling required with my brackets either, because (and you didn't read all my posts, did you? ) I will have special brackets fabricated so one can use the full 314mm disc and no spacers (they are only shims dude, it's not what I call a hassle) at all.

:nana:

www.MRCTuning.com
                            info@MRCTuning.com
                            Workshop Directions

Comment

I rest my case :
                              Are you sure he's talking about the small ones.
                              RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                              Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                              High Octane website

Comment

Working...
                              X