The 1st how to :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1st how to :-)

Seeing as I got 'stuck' with this little baby, I thought why not... lets see if we cannot get it to work

This is the North American auto dimming compass rear view mirror as fitted to the Allroad. The mirror has six oddly coloured coded wires and with no wiring diagram readily available for the mirror it was time to figure them out with the trusty multi meter and a fire extinguisher close at hand.

Out of the six wires you only need to use 4 of them for switched ignition, earth, +ve feed from the reverse light circuit and +ve feed from the interior light circuit. The last two wires control the exterior auto dimming mirrors which are obviously not used. Earth, switched ignition and interior light circuit +ve are simple enough. The reverse light + feed is taken from the main loom underneath the LH rear seat. All the wires are run up the RH A piller post trim which pulls off and under neath the headlining trim.

When you get to the centre of the headlining you need to drill 4 small holes for the wires to exit the headlining and run down the screen to the mirror. The four wires can be concealed properly by using a shortened conduit from the mirror to the headlining:

Once the wiring is in place remove the old mirror by using a pair of pliers wrapped in cloth on the stem of the old mirror and turn the mirror stem 90 degrees to release it from the screen mirror pad. This takes a lot to turn it!

To fit the new mirror you push it hard against the mirror pad and turn the mirror through 90 degrees to lock it in place. With the mirror on and the wiring covered you'd never know it isn't an OE fitment for the S2!

The compass displays N,NE,E etc in red so matches the illumination well. The auto dim function is turned off when reverse gear is selected so you can see backwards when reversing!! It's a bit gimmicky, but works well, and as I said... I got 'stuck' with it, so why not!!

So there you go, the first 'how-to'. As soon as more are written I'll delete this one!!

Martyn
    Last edited by Martynf; 4 July 2003, 21:03.
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Very cool mate...and don't bother deleting it, I say the more guides the better!!
    Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
    Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

You didn't add the pin no's or did you leaving that for me?

pin 1: switched ignition

pin 2: earth

pin 3: +ve from reversing lights

pin 4: exterior mirror output (not used)

pin 5: exterior mirror output (not used)

pin 6: +ve from interior light

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Left that for you Ben!!! you're the one who got the wiring pin numbers!!

Ok Mik, thanks!!
        Martynf
        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn,

What sorta money are we looking at for the auto dim mirror?
          I bet it aint cheap

Regs
          Steve.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve,

you're right!! about £125 + vat with the terminals and wiring conduit!

Martyn
            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I gotta get me one of those (when funds permit) gadgets make the world go around, the compass even tells you so.

Graham
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't you love gadgets
                Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

giz a part number, I'm about to do this
                  Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                  S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Looks a lot like a BMW mirror...
                    Glenn

Comment

Going to have a crack at doing this tomorrow.
                      Got the mirror "8D0 857 511" from a 99 S4 and is brand new in the box (tho it's not the compass flashy version like Marty's) and it seems to have the same pin outs.

+ve from the interior light is no problem.
                      -ve ? can I use the earth on the interior light to save wire routing?
                      switched +ve not a problem now that big yellow block has been found by "mcandmar" in his seat heater thread .
                      +ve from the reverse light switch ? can I get away without this? (I mean will it work without hooking it up?) I tend to use my door mirrors or look over my shoulder for reversing.

@ Ben (s2avant) I've worked out that the opposing connector block to the one fitted to the mirror is 4B0 971 833.
                      The wiring and pins for that are 000 979 003, question is how long are they? Rough guess?

Thanks
                      Jas
                      Last edited by Jas11n; 13 May 2006, 07:33.
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

The wiring will be 30cm long. It's the standard repair wire length.

Ben
                        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
                          The wiring will be 30cm long. It's the standard repair wire length.

Ben
                          Thank you kindly Sir
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

As requested by PM, a run through of fitting this mirror in my Coupe. (tis a copy and paste from Audifans)

(I'm a sucker for the gadgets)

Easy enough removing old mirror, just twist the arm through 90° and it will come off leaving the mounting frame stuck to the windscreen.
                            As the new mirror is powered from various locations (some 100% not needed, some optionally not needed), this was what stopped me at first.

The mirror has 6 pinouts as Ben posted above..

Pin 1 = switched ignition

Pin 2 = earth

Pin 3 = +ve from reversing lights

Pin 4 = exterior mirror output (don't need)

Pin 5 = exterior mirror output (don't need)

Pin 6 = +ve from interior light

I opted not to hook up the +ve from the interior light as I rarely use it on the go. This option is so that when the interior light is switched on whilst driving in the dark, the mirror doesn't dim.
                            Again I opted not to hook up the +ve from the reverse light switch. Never really use the rear view mirror for reversing as I tend to look over my shoulder or use the wing mirrors.

That left only two connections to hook up.
                            I removed the storage tray in the drivers footwell to expose the mass of spaghetti wiring in there.
                            The earth is the easy one as there's a huge amount of wiring earthed onto the body just next the bonnet release lever.
                            Next was the switched ignition +ve feed. If you ever need a switched ignition then just find any black/blue wire.
                            I used speaker wire in 2 x 0.38mm 2, so I could route both wires together and be able to identify which was my live and earth.. Hooked up the earth and the +ve then routed the wire up between the dash and door shut, up the A pillar tucked in behind the rubber/felt door seal, through the A pillar trim and then underneath the headliner trim.
                            The two cables coming from the mirror were passed through the headliner trim by going behind it where it meets the glass. Joined the wiring up, then had to slightly trim the the mirrors wiring conduit which hides the mirrors electrical connector.

It really does work well, takes about 3/4 seconds for it to dim down, the brighter the light behind you, the dimmer it gets. It's one of those things that you really notice all the time whilst driving at night too. No faffing around readjusting the mirror when you have a noob behind with badly adjusted lights.

As I say, I'm a sucker for the gadgets.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Nice work (again!) Jas.

Thanks for the guide....
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X