General A/C stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General A/C stuff

WARNING! It is actually illegal to release A/C refrigerant to amtosphere. It is also quite dangerous. the system could be pressurised upto about 10 BAR in some parts. If skin contact is made by the gas it can cause severe frost bite, also the oil is like paint stripper. It will eat it! also have it discharged by a profesional person BEFORE doing anything to it. You could harm yourself.

If anyone wants specific advise about A/C procedures then email me at tomcockings@hotmail.com
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

And don't smoke near it when it's in the atmosphere. It's can be quite deadly. We had a technician let off an a/c system by accident and we had to evacuate the workshop while the cloud dispersed.

Looked cool though, like something out of a fifties sci-fi movie
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

GOOD advice Tom!! did you ever see that 80's film The Fog? ;-)

One thing I can say about the S2 manual AC is that when it is working, it works very well! I had it regassed (what a waste!! it had a hole) Once it was regassed my tech friend used a real whizzy temperature sensor 'lazer pen' to sense the temp coming out of the centre air vents. With the AC running for a couple of minutes, holding the revs at 2800 with the recirc turned on, the temp out of the centre air vent was coming out ar 0.5 C!

So when it works, it works a treat!

Out of interest, not only did one of my hoses have a pin hole, the 'tyre valve' recharge point in front of the AC rad was very lame and the spring on the valve couldn't hold any tension at all so gas was leaking out of there also ( easy enough to fix though if you have a tyre valve removal tool, stick a new one in.

We stuck some UV dye in with the gas to see if there were any leaks, under UV light my engine bay looks real freaky!! with two dollops of UV dye each end of the engine bay!!

So that's why the rice boys use UV under car lighting!!! to show up any AC leaks!! now I get it!! ;-)

Martynf
      Martyn
      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

DONT use normal tyre valves the gas will eat them in no time!! My a/c is working but the orifice tube has a defect but for the good! it will produce -3 degrees from the centre vents!! In the middle of summer i get ice on the inside of the windscreen!! I thought about changing it but why should i. it works a treat. high pressure side is readinga bit too high, but not that high to cause a problem. Sweet. love it
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

nope I didn't Tom!! I knew the oil would consume the seal on the valve!! got a new OE one only a couple of ££.

-3 ?? bee limey! one cool Coupe!

Martynf
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Working...
          X