Touareg Torches & New style cigarette lighter sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touareg Torches & New style cigarette lighter sockets

Right, Lets try again. I've used a ratchet tie down this time so the how-to shouldn't disappear again. If anyone sees it wandering around the forum please direct it back to its's rightful place. It's ok it won't bite but might run away again if it gets scared.

Some of you may have seen the torches that are supplied in lieu of a cigarette lighter in the new VW Touareg. It's basically the same size as a standard cigarette lighter and fits in the same socket. It is actually a rechargable torch which despite its size produces an enormous amount of light.

The problem with cigarette lighter sockets on new vehicles is that they have got smaller I can only assume that by reducing the size they can save a couple of pence on the production costs. To get round this problem you need to fit one of the new style sockets. In my case I have fitted two. One for the cigarette lighter (from a new Phaeton) and one for the Touareg torch.

The sockets need to be quite shallow to fit in the S2 centre console so a standard one from a newer audi wont fit. I have found one with the wiring exiting from the side which gives sufficient (only just) space to fit in the existing hole.

How-to fit new style sockets.

Firstly, you need to remove the old cigaratte lighter socket. I found this was made easier by removing the diff. lock switch assembly. A small flat screwdriver is all you need. You will also have to separate the socket from it's light ring. Again the screwdriver is ideal along with a push from below.

As I was fitting a second socket I needed to make a hole for it. It needs to be about 26mm. I only had a 22mm bit so a bit of burring was neccessary (hence the not so round hole )

Now onto the wiring. I built a loom to connect to the socket and them connected the other end to the exsting wiring with crimp connectors (after I'd removed the old plug and bulb holder)

With two sockets there is a fair bit of extra wiring to fit in the console. I connected two of the looms shown above in parallel.

And here is the finished job. You need to push the light ring in first then align the socket and push it in to lock the socket in place.

The front socket houses the Phaeton lighter. It's very old school in anthracite with a polished chrome top. The rear socket houses the Touareg torch. The shiny bit you can see is the lens.

The parts required are as below:

Socket 1J0 919 309 B (retail £5.08 + VAT)
    Light Ring 1C0 919 341 A (retail £2.89 + VAT)
    Connector 357 919 321 (retail £1.72 + VAT)
    Connector 000 979 130 (retail £0.88 + VAT per pair)

Torch 7L6 947 175 A (retail £21.09 + VAT)
    Lighter 3D0 919 307 01C (retail £10.35 + VAT)

My next little project is fitting lights in the front and rear ashtrays as they seem to be missing along with the glove box light. Remind again why I bought this car

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Think im gonna do this when i have a lil bit of cash...

I have the 2nd hole already as i had my arming button for the NOS there, but since thats gone.... it needs filling and this would be an excellent way to do it
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

That looks good Ben - can you take couple of pictures from different angles - are those prices dealer prices? How much would VAGPARTS charge?
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Blimey,

I'd forgotten about this post, it's one of the first things I did to the car after it's 5 week rebirth.

The prices are dealer prices. Not sure what Martyn charges but I know he's fitted one under his steering wheel.

I'll try to remember to take some more pics.

Ben
        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

A 25mm wood bit works well on plastic, that may be a good way to make a hole quickly and efficiently, Use the drill on slow speed though!

Caution, make sure the cables are out of the way behind and if possible use a block of wood behind to drill into.

D.

Comment

I'd forgotten about this mod!

Comment

nice find Jamo
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                nice find Jamo
                *runs off and adds items to Ben's list*

Comment