Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hispec brakes - I see Jim is having them fitted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hispec brakes - I see Jim is having them fitted!

Jim

I see you mentioned (in the caste combe thread) that you are having Hispec brakes fitted. Have you gone for the same set up as mine (with the A8 discs)? Or have you gone bigger!

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them, I'm dead happy

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Leigh,

I'm going with the A8 set-up, exactly the same as yours - although I've left it with them to decide on grooved or not - basically if they feel it will make £40 difference or not.

I've stayed with 314x30 so that I can keep the stock rims.

Clincher was no extra on the insurance.

Jim
    Jim

Comment

Jim

If they are fitting them just a quick word of advice. The main man Geoff really knows his stuff but some of the others (the young ones) are a bit dumb.

I found one starting to jack my car up on the exhaust (the y piece just before the CATs) just make sure they don't do it to yours.

Also the bolts that hold the calliper carriers on to the hub need to be torqued to 125nm as far as I can remember. They re-used my original ones and they have been fine.

The grooves make a nice noise when you brake hard.

Give tham a few days to break in (excuse the pun) and you'll be well pleased. Any idea on total cost for this (with SS hoses?)?

Cheers

Leigh

Comment

Geoff did all the work.

The discs have not been grooved - looks very stealthy, unless you were looking you'd never notice the brakes had been done.

I am being careful and taking it easy on the brakes - always a hard thing to do!

Just on one unbedded drive I can feel the difference. I remember how bad braking was when I had stock OEM pads and discs changed - horrendous for 200+ miles. The Hi-Spec set-up feels better already.

The whole lot came to £744 inclusive of VAT and fitting.

Only odd thing. Invoice only shows two s/s hoses, thought omeone somewhere said four were required, am i going nuts.

Jim
        Jim

Comment

£744 what a bargain! I paid £862 because I had the discs grooved and had to pay for the measuring up etc. as it was the first one. But hey you can all thank me for that later

There are 4 hoses on the front. One from inside the engine bay to a mount on the suspension and one from the mount to the brake caliper. The are only quite short so perhaps they only charged for 2. Take a wheel off and have a look it should be obvious.

What pads did you go for?

Cheers

Leigh

Comment

Hispec brakes - I see Jim's had them fitted

I went with EBC Green as well...

They only did the hoses from caliper to mounting bracket.

Should I be worried about the other two hoses or not. They both look in good nick.
            Jim

Comment

Nothing to worry about on the hoses, if they are in good nick they will be fine. Just SS ones are supposed to give a slightly firmer pedal as they don't expand as much under braking.

That said mine has all 4 in SS and there isn't that much difference in the pedal feel from strandard (in terms of sponginess).

HTH

Leigh

Comment

BIG UH OH.....

Just unloaded the old brake parts from the boot of the car to find the remainder of the fluid they used - DOT 5.1.....

What happens when someone does not use DOT 4?

Gulp...
                Jim

Comment

Calm down :wacked: m8.

5.1 is fine with 4 as far as I know, they should mix with no probs. I think that the one that causes problems in 5.0

Hispec used 5.1 in mine and I had no idea what was already in it :confused: and everyhting has been fine.

Should be OK but I'm no expert. Anyone else confirm this?

HTH

Leigh

Comment

DOT 5.1 can be mixed with DOT4 with no issues.
                    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

cheer guys, i've calmed down...

...have to have a little drama now and again ops:
                      Jim

Comment

Sounds like a good setup lads! Only problem for me is the early 5 spoke wheels

What size spacer would i need to fit these behind my wheels do you think??

I have changed all my hoses including the rears for SS items. The brake pedal feels so much firmer. I also have changed all the fluid for 5.1, it doesn't boil as easily. What is Hi-specs tel number? I must get some phat brakes, soon.
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Myself and Mr Jenkinson tested a five spoke wheel on my car. The problem was fouling of the spokes. There was just enough room in the circumference. I guess a 5mm spacer would work but I can't be sure on that.

Check out Hispec's website at http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/index.htm

I think that they still have last years prices listed. Jim did you pay £175 + VAT or £183 + VAT for a caliper? I'm presuming you went for the Monster 4s?

Leigh

Comment

To confirm also...

DOT 5.1 is okay to use with DOT4.

The stuff you DONT'Twant in there is DOT5 which can fook up the ABS.

Cheers,

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Looks like my plastic friend is gonna have to come out and play
                              I need better brakes, as you will see at combe, when i come off the track the pads will be on fire nearly, smoke everywhere

Just need some spacers and longer bolts! Where can i get the longer bolts? D.T.?
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X