Lower black body trims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower black body trims

Well seeing as no ones posted in here yet A tip for those lower black door and rear 1/4 panel trims, you know.. the ones that bubble up with rust behind the rubber and look naff..

The door ones are easy enough to change, just grab the rear end of each door one and pull them off the car towards the back. BUT.... the tiny little one on the rear wheel arch... that puppy is a mare... there is one slide on metal clip in the rear arch you pull off first, then you think the molding will simply pull off... WRONG!!! it is stuck on with Mr Muscle permanent grip, ain't never letting go beyond super glue adhesive!!

That baby is there for good!! pliers, heat, trim pulling tools, pneumatic drills and an F16 on full after burn re-heat couldn't get it to let go! What a mare.... You can only break it off in small pieces until you get it all off the car!

Martynf
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Martyn,
    How much are these lower black trims for an Avant ?
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Anyone know how to get the large black sill trim off?

Leigh
      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

the sill trims are held on with all manner of different fixings.

There are 4 (I think) push and turn connectors on the underside where it attaches to the bottom of the sill.

+

There are screws and those little plastic rivet things at each end.

I'm going from memory as mine where partially removed when it was jigged. My mechanic tells me you can see them from below.

Ben
        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

A full set of all 6 (4 doors and those two rear 1/4 panels ones) are £60 inc vat with the clips and bits to fit.

Martyn
          Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn,

How much for the coupe lower trims? Mine are begining to look a bit tatty.

Mark.
            Mark - Modded

Comment

Hi Mark,

The front wings are £7.50 each
              Doors are £17.73 each
              Rear 1/4's £11.87 each

clips and bits to fit about £4, all +vat Mark.

Martynf
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thanks Martyn,

Maybe probably have some in a month or so, still got me head stuck in the engine bay at the moment

Mark.
                Mark - Modded

Comment

Outside trims are the lowest priority for your baby right now!!! besides, when you get yours back on the road, it'll travel so fast the wind will rip the old ones off, problem sorted!!

Martyn
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I know this is a very old thread, but I have recently bought all 6 of the mouldings for my S2 Coupe.

Assuming that the front and rear wing mouldings were stuck-on with some kind of adhesive at the factory, don't I need to do the same when fitting the replacements or are the clips on their own enough to hold them on ?

The ones on my car at the moment are dead easy to pull off (no adhesive anywhere) - they were replaced when the car was re-sprayed by the previous owner. However, they look like they have deformed a bit over time and they don't follow the curve of the body line very well anymore. I am guessing that some adhesive would help attach the whole of the moulding to the bodywork, rather than the moulding just being held to the body at the strip where the clips are located (maybe this is why Audi attached them this way at the factory ?).

Anyone got any ideas as to what kind of adhesive might be suitable ?
                    Boring Green ABY Coupe.

Comment

Matt,

I only had to use just a little bit of glue to hold on my rear 1/4 one. I used just a generic bostick glue, it only needed a little dab.

Martyn
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I've just been looking on AmDs new site and noticed that they have a pic of an S2 with the black bits colour coded

ie

Not sure if I like it or not.
                        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Nah - I don't like it colour coded - especially the lower grille sections on the front bumper, they just don't look right in anything except black.

IMHO S2's just look 'right' with a black strip along the lower part of the body - it's kind of an Audi trademark (A4, A3 etc.)...
                          Boring Green ABY Coupe.

Comment

Nope. Looks tacky as tacky can get.

I remember when I was looking to buy a 2.8 quattro coupe. I saw a kingfisher blue one (great colour) BUT it was totally colour coded and looked naf as hell. It looked like it had 1 of those cheapo body kits you get from the states nailed on.

The only time when colour coding looks good is when you've had an RS2 bumper fitted - in fact, if you dont get colour coding done with the RS2 bumpers then the car again looks kinda naff.

Comment

My drivers one has finally fallen off tonight. So should I add some glue or double sided tape to supplement the clips ? The flat area above where the clips go does look like tape or glue should go there....
                              Attached Files
                              Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X