outside temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outside temp gauge

Since the aircon was removed from my avant the outer temp gauge has started reading very low. It seems to jump around between 5 and -8 degrees. Either way the frost warning symbol is always on.

I know it's probably related to the aircon being removed but does any one have any clues? I read somewhere that the sensor and the display are both prone to failure. Which would cause this sort of problem?

While on the subject of electrical gremlins. My electric windows and sunroof all work with the keys out, no matter how many times the doors are shut. The radio sets of the headlamp warning buzzer as well.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I must repeat 100 times: I enjoy a 'project', I enjoy a 'project'

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Hi,

How's your battery doing? When I had a nearly dead battery, my outside temp. meter was so much confused that it ws telling me that we were in a fridge :confused:
    After installing a new battery I noticed it was doing fine again. Dunno why it did it but it did it

greets.
    Jeffer
    RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
    RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
    High Octane website

Comment

temp guage wiring on cars with AC is different than cars without i think. will have to check the almanacs (wearing my anorak)
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yes - my suspicions are proved correct by the almanac of Audi S2 schematics...

Cars equipped with the digital A/C system take the signal for the outside temperature dispalay from the A/C control head (E87).

Cars without A/C or with manual A/C use a stand alone thermistor into pin-2 of the temp display module for this purpose. The other side of the thermistor is grounded.

The right part number for the temp sender is on S2 Central - didny look ity up yet.

For clarity, the pinout for the temp module is also on S2 Central - think its in the Technical chapter - linked from electrical and/or instrument cluster.

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

It was just the manual air con so I don't think that was the problem. I think it could be the battery. It's been in the garage for three weeks and needed boosting to start. Seems to be ok now though (having said that I only got three miles before the water pump let go).

I'll have to see how it reacts once the battery has plenty of time to charge up, the new 120a alternator should help.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Temp gauge has cured itself. Must have been the battery.

It's back on the road (touch wood) and the RS2 intercooler doesn't half make a difference when your at speed. It pulls like a steam train from 90 up.

Just got to sort out the gremlins in the electric windows and sunroof now.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X