Changing Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Steering Wheels

If there is one thing that annoys me, it's the naff 4 spoke airbagged steering wheel in my car. Others with airbags have the 3 spoke sport style one.

Is it a straight swap between steering wheels?

Are the airbags interchangeable?

I was told the reason some have the 4 spoke is that they are the procon 10 style wheels that get pulled into the dash in an accident - Does this mean the 3 spoker airbags aren't proconed?
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

I'd say its possible alright, but its gonna be expensive.

I don't believe the later airbag system deletes the procon-ten system. Not 100% sure though. I'll check the airbag schematics as well but I don't expect anything nasty there.

Just all the pound signs for such an upgrade - though I must agree that the 4-spoke Airbag wheel looks outta place in the S2. Dunno why they did that

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I had the 4 spoke in my last coupe and really hated it. I looked into the costs and it looked like around £600 for the airbag and the same again for the wheel.
      Unfortunately the spline isn't interchangable with other Audis so the S6 wheel I found at GTI international apparently wouldn't fit either despite being exactly the same design.
      You do see them every so often on ebay.de but alot of bids follow.

Comment

An easy way to check if you have the procon 10 system is to remove the trim under the wheel. If you have it, you should see a big thick steel cable running down next to the steering column and into the bulkhead.
        I don't think it will be on airbag cars as it would defeat the purpose of having an airbag in the first place.
        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Yeah - I'm trying to remember this now, but I seem to recall that the airbag is a supplement to the ProconTen system (which I actually think is superior in some ways).

PS - Like the new signature - I couldn't let Dougal away with his attention to detail

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Just lift the bonnet and look towards the bottom of the bulkhead. You can see the cables there.....well you can on mine anyway.

Leigh
            Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net

PS - Like the new signature - I couldn't let Dougal away with his attention to detail

Paul
              I had noticed that - I thought it was a dig at my signature - which is probably going to be longer than any of my posts.

Comment

Love the sig Doug!!

JEEZ.... you managed to fit an RS4 gear knob... WOW!!! I'm impressed So when you doing some real mods ??!!?? :nana:
                Martyn
                -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

"ON A MISSION" stickers plastered all over the car will finish it off I think

Comment

Why do you need a playstation in a car ?????????

I always thought It's somekind of a Richy Boy Stupid Mod tuning
                    Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Playstation 2's are the cheapest way to get in car DVD players :-)
                      Martyn
                      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

In car DVD keeps her happy while I'm enjoying the driving - With a mod to the PS2 you can also use it as an MP3 player.

Comment

Working...
                        X