This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Avant & Coupe common AC hose replacement

This how-to relates to the RHD S2 Avants running R134A gas.

There appears to be one air con hose that commonly fails on the Avants. So here's a how-to to replace it and the CORRECT hose part number!

The hose in question goes from just in front of the brake master cylinder and through the inner wing to the air drier. They seem to develope pin holes for some reason right by the coupling nut.

This hose is a real problem to identify and put a part number to!! the parts diagram on Etka is a generic drawing and not applicable to the ABY Avants at all!! If you order the hose it 'appears' to be on Etka, you'll get the wrong one! A phone call to the local Audi dealer had the parts department phoning Audi technical, they are aware of the problem! and they suggested ordering another hose (which was also wrong!!) The only way to identify the hose is to remove the old one and hope it has a part number on it (which it did!).

The hose in question is the one that joins the pipe arrowed below:

So here's how to:

I loosened the wheel bolts first and then jacked up the right hand front of the car on the jacking point marked by the indent on the sill panel. Put an axle stand under the car to be safe!

Remove the RH under wing splash guard which is simple enough to do but you will need a male Torx driver to undo two screws.

Then undo the nut in the photo below:

There is another nut holding this hose in place right by where the steering arm comes through the inner wing. It was seriously rusted on my car and wouldn't take 11mm, 10mm or 9mm sockets. I think the nut is 10mm but the rust was really bad! I used an AF socket in the end which fitted it ok, but as I undid it, the nut sheared the stud clean off! :

The hose goes down to the front of the right hand wing to the air drier:

The hose that Audi parts tech suggested to order is the lower hose in this picture, the old correct hose above it:

And here's the correct part number of the hose, thankfully!! the hose had a number on it! :

The old hose had been repaired before at some point in time by what looks like an epoxy resin just before the nut:

Fit the new replacement hose using new O rings on each end of the pipe. The only other point worth mentioning is that the nuts at each end of the hose are very large! I didn't have a spanner big enough to get anywhere near them!! so it's either mole grips or an adjustable spanner time, unless you work on trucks and have spanners over 30mm!! The nut in the engine bay was very tight and took a lot to persuade it to let go! the nut on the air drier was a lot easier to undo.

The hose is part number 8A2 260 740AD and the two O rings are part number 8E0 260 749D. This hose IS listed against the RS2 but still not shown in the correct place in the parts drawing!

NEEDLESS to say that because I had a hole in my hose all the gas in the system had escaped! so I had no issues with undoing a hose whilst the system was pressurised!!! If your system still has gas under pressure, then I'd seek advise before breaking into the AC system!!!

Hope this helps!!
    MartynF
    94 ABY Avant RHD

*note added 08 08 03* this AC hose is now confirmed as also being the same one for ABY Coupes.
    Last edited by Jamo; 31 May 2006, 15:29.
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

You the man
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hmm.. much difference in the new and old hose? Ive just ordered a replacement didnt notice audi recommend a different part (the lower rubber looking one).
      ABY Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

"so it's either mole grips or an adjustable spanner time, unless you work on trucks and have spanners over 30mm!!"

I got a 30 / 31mm on the job but the but is too tight. the nut is beginning to shred because of the force im applying.

maybe apply heat to it ?
        ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
          "so it's either mole grips or an adjustable spanner time, unless you work on trucks and have spanners over 30mm!!"

I got a 30 / 31mm on the job but the but is too tight. the nut is beginning to shred because of the force im applying.

maybe apply heat to it ?

I just took this hose out on my 3b, had to get a Draper Adjustable spanner that goes up to 40mm, Top bit of kit .

Didn't have any trouble with it tough.. Good luck ski ,

P.S. I have that hose spare if anyone needs one
          91 S2 coupé - RIP
          98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

now u tell me after i paid for a new one

in the end, i hacksawed the pipe, and got a 30~ socket onto it..

jeeez.. doing this pipe took me hours! but its done well.

OOOHhh.. while I was taking the wheel off.. remember that garage that cracked my headlamp? seems they forced a wheel nut in and fubared the thred on the bolt. had to buy replacemets at local halfords.. £35 ish..
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

I have replaced the condensor and drier (thanks Doug) however the gas has gone. The refill included testing the system and passed. I checked for leaks tonight and all spotted was dye around the protective sleeve around this pipe. Am I safe to assume that the pipe has a small hole that leaks slowly or could dye have got onto that sleeve any other way ?
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

is this the same pipe as the coupe as mine has been repaired and i wanna change it

also how much is it

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_s2_coupe View Post
                  is this the same pipe as the coupe as mine has been repaired and i wanna change it

also how much is it
                  Probably but can you expand a bit ..................yes check Martins addition at the end of the 'how to'. Same on coupe ABY
                  Last edited by alg; 24 March 2007, 11:32.
                  Alastair
                  RS2

Comment

Originally posted by alg View Post
                    ...dye around the protective sleeve around this pipe. Am I safe to assume that the pipe has a small hole that leaks slowly ...
                    Thats appeared to be the problem with mine and since changing it (& the drier) last may all has been well. When I inspected the old pipe I couldn't see any obvious holes, so they must have been tiny.

Angus
                    formally RS2 +

Comment

Originally posted by alg View Post
                      I have replaced the condensor and drier (thanks Doug) however the gas has gone. The refill included testing the system and passed. I checked for leaks tonight and all spotted was dye around the protective sleeve around this pipe. Am I safe to assume that the pipe has a small hole that leaks slowly or could dye have got onto that sleeve any other way ?
                      Mine too, i put a new pipe on which i got a month ago, with a new drier, then had the system tested and re-gassed with a double dose of dye in it, and where the plastic protection ends, as it comes out of the wheelarch is all glowing under UV light .
                      Mine passed the test which was for 1.5 hrs with not a drop of leakage, but after 2 weeks the AC died and up to now it is the only leak evidence i can find.
                      How does the bottom of the evapourator cover come off?
                      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Angus & Graham. Just the info I needed.
                        Alastair
                        RS2

Comment

I'm a little confused...I have to replace this pipe, is the correct part number the number on the hose 8A0260740AE, or is it the part number you list later in the post??

edit: forget ut...my family album was acting up..hehe
                          Last edited by Skaala; 28 May 2008, 12:32.
                          2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-line____2003 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro____1994 Audi RS2 2,2T Avant____Audi Quattro Experience____Audi Sportscar Experience
                          Protected movement - with quattro

Comment

Just a note to say this has not been corrected in version 7 of the album
                            It list 8A2 260 740AD for LHD avants! and for rhd 8A2 260 712AD

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but looks like I need to replace this air-con hose on my LHD 3B..... Would anybody be able to tell me what the part number actually is? I don't want to order the wrong one, as I suspect it might be different for 3b / ABY/ RS2 /LHD RHD.... mine has the Euro auto climate system, but I believe the pipes are the same.....?
                              Can anyone tell me?
                              Cheers
                              Chris
                              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Working...
                              X