7A exhaust cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7A exhaust cams

im in the process of a cylinder head overhaul and was thinking about changing the exhaust cam for one from a 7A engine (its almost same spec as rs2 isnt it?) thought it would help as im fitting an rs2 turbo also, basically ive found a 20v coupe in a scrap yard and was wondering if i take its exhaust cam will i need new bearing caps or use my own ones or use the ones from the scraped engine?
    cheers
    martin

M8 use the cam bearings from your own head!!! they are specific to your head, each head is line bored, cam will fit lovely. PM Mihnea about wether or not that cam is ok, i cant remember.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Short answer, yes use the 7A exhaust cam, but most of all, please try by all means to swap the head gasket as well if you don't want to have the same issue as Tom C and if yours isn't uprated already...

Cheers,

Mihnea
      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

Nothing wrong with my headgasket, im gonna recondition it and use it again for another 145k miles!!! Or, for £37.50 i could use an RS2 one???
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

yes ive got an aby h/gasket ready to go on, ok ill go and get the cam bought in the morning.

cheers
          martin

Comment

what will it run like with this cam anyway, is it more top end? if so will it sacrifice some bottom end grunt. has anyone else swapped for one of these.
            just want to make sure as dont fancy pulling it apart ever again.

martin

Comment

Mihnea, will it affect my mapping if i manage to find a 7a cam and chuck it in??

What will need to be done, just a re-map? What sort of power/torque gains could i expect?
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Wow, questions, questions

The 7A exhaust cam brings some more throttle response at part throttle and off boost, as well as a better top end. I really dunno if gains can be quantified in terms of HP/torque but the car will definitely run better with the cam than without.

Ideally the chips should take into account the cam but it's not mandatory....

By the way, who can get me such a cam used and for how much? I had one but I sold it to a friend and now I'll need one I don't even have one anymore.... :mad:

Cheers,

Mihnea
                '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                info@MRCTuning.com
                Workshop Directions

Comment

I will see if i can find two! What car(s) was the 7a fitted to? That might help.
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Hey thanks m8! The cars were the coupe (quattro or not) type 89 with the 2.3l 20v NA engine (7A code), as well as the Audi 90 (same engine). An alternative is the cam from the 2.0l 20v engine, code NM.

Cheers,

Mihnea

www.MRCTuning.com
                    info@MRCTuning.com
                    Workshop Directions

Comment

a friend told me theres a 20v coupe in a scrap yard near me, so im gonna investigate in the morning, dunno if theyll sell the cam alone or only if you buy the whole head,
                      ill have to take a big hammer and bend a few bits and tell them the rest of the head/engine is fooked

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs
                        a friend told me theres a 20v coupe in a scrap yard near me, so im gonna investigate in the morning, dunno if theyll sell the cam alone or only if you buy the whole head,
                        ill have to take a big hammer and bend a few bits and tell them the rest of the head/engine is fooked

www.MRCTuning.com
                        info@MRCTuning.com
                        Workshop Directions

Comment

B0llocks!! I have tried several scrap yards and all say i have to buy the complete head. Sod that, time to go there and damage the head!!!
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

lol, went to that scrappers this morning to see about the c/shaft, if i explained that i wanted it from the 20v quattro i reckon theyd have told me to ****** off so asked for one from 'one of the old audis at the end of yard' (all older stuff is parked out of the way)
                            ok that'll be just a TENNER m8.
                            must have set a record for taking engine to bits, nuts n bolts flying everywhere.
                            then ran off before anyone realised :nana:

Comment

Working...
                            X