Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my turbo off today

Hi guys

Back from my holidays in Switzerland, a week in the car free village of Zermatt. Whilst I was there 4 people died on the Matterhorn and then a great lump fell of the side of it!! Still, I got away with only one small snowboard related injury - a badly grazed chin as a result of me testing my skill in the halfpipe and then remembering I'm 33 not 18 at the top of a 12 foot wall of snow and ice!!

Anyway I digress....

I took the turbo off the car today. Only one nut caused real problems, one of the turbo to downpipe nuts on the top nearest the manifold. Complete git to get to but a bit off pondering came up with a specially bent spanner, a lenght of pipe and a copper mallet - came off a treat! Took just less than 2.5 hours in total.

Now I have the thing off there is a hell of a lot of radial play in it, If you get hold of the shaft and move the end up and down you can feel (and hear) lots of movement. Doesn't seem to be any axial (backwards and forward movement though). I'll be getting it check out on Monday or Tuesday.

What I need is the torque settings for the nuts when putting it back on. Anyone any idea of the turbo to manifold, turbo to downpipe, wastgate to downpipe and wastegate to manifold settings?

Also could I remove the studs from the exhaust manifold, line the turbo up and then put the studs in when I put it back together, it would be much easier? Can the studs be put in finger tight or do they need to be set to a given torque?

My car is now sitting in pieces at a friends and as I left I noticed the clock was reading exactly 55,000. It shouldn't be in pieces!

Cheers

Leigh
    Last edited by Dr H; 20 July 2003, 21:26.
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Leigh, my book on the s2 is sat in the workshop at the moment. Can give you the torque figures tomorrow if thats any help? On the tightness of studs, screw them in tight using either two nuts tecnique or a stud inserter
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Torque figures any time beofre next weekend would be just fine.

Cheers

Leigh

Comment

Top Man Leigh - the OFRM shows a specially bent spanner for exactly that job. Seriously !

I did try to locate it - think the manual listed at as being made by Kukko, but if you can give me rough dimensions on the spanner you made, I'd be game to make my own sometime !

Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I can digout the torque settings for you if you neeed them BTW.

WIll be late Monday night at best tho
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
            I can digout the torque settings for you if you neeed them BTW.

WIll be late Monday night at best tho

Oooooooooooooh yeah, very late monday night, you bet
            '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
            info@MRCTuning.com
            Workshop Directions

Comment

Paul

The spanner was a very simple job. We took an old rusty (15mm I think) but we used an imperial equivalent and basically bent it in a vice so that when you put the head on the nut the spanner body was in a gap between the down pipe and the back of the engine block. Then we placed a peice of pipe on the spanner from the top (just to transmit the force from the mallet) and hit it. The tread released and the nut came of really easily.

When we are putting it back together I'llk take a photo and measure up the spanner. it should be easier to put back together as you pull on the spanner to tighten it rather than having to use a spanner.

I'm sure my mate's experience constantly rebuilding his e-type helped doing this!

If anyone with the torque figures can get them to me for next weekend that would be great.

Cheers

Leigh

Comment

Leigh,
                here are those torque figures;

turbo to manifold 60Nm
                turbo to downpipe 30Nm
                wastegate to downpipe 25Nm
                wastegate to manifold 25Nm
                Corrugated pipe - the end of the corrugated pipe with a protruding pipe must be towards the by-pass pipe?????

Thats the factory wording, i think it reads better before the translation!!!
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Thanks, that's great!

They seem quite low really I expected them to be higher.
                  One other thing, do you have the figures for the intake manifold to the head and the throttle body (if that is what it is attached to) ?

The turbo went to AET today to be checked. They were so efficient. I talked to them just before 11 am and by 14.50 they had a courrier at my door in Sheffield to pick it up

Cheers

Leigh

PS There is no gasket between the waste gate and exhaust manifold is there?

Comment

No gasket. I have always done the bolts up without a torque wrench for the simple reason that you cant actually fit a wrench in there!! Damn S2, just make sure its all tight use new gaskets and new nuts tho. Turbo to manifold nuts are mental money, about £7.50 each!!! Martyn at VAGparts reckons they are a steel/titanium mix, hence the stupid price!
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Ordered the nuts (and all the other stuff) from Martyn, they charge £1.57 + vat each expensive but a lot cheaper than the dealer.

Leigh

Comment

Hm. Such a difference. I believe some guys steal thouse parts from VAG factory and then resell by the name of VAG PARTS DOT COM . Hehe. There are no other explanation

:nana: :nana: :nana:
                        Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Tom, what do you torque your headbolts upto,
                          do you still use the factory settings for 300+hp?
                          do they need rechecking after a week or so , in the process of putting mine back together.

Comment

Martin,

Take a good look at your head bolts before using them!!

Audi or their supplier appear to have mixed a batch of bolts and as a result you may have a variety of slightly different bolts.
                            Have a look at the head of the bolt and check the tensile strenght. You should to have a matched set i.e all 12.9 or 9.9 etc.

I believe the correct ones are the 12.9 variety. The 9.9's also have a point on the threaded end rather than being flat.

The torque settings for the head are -

40 nm - 60 nm then 180 degrees.

Good luck!

Steve.
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Yeah make sure you only use the 12.9 tensile bolts, they have the flat end instead of the pointed end, both bolts use the same part number, ****** great idea that is!!

Yeah, torque settings are the same as any other. 40Nm then 60Nm and then 180 deg. Although it is easier and allowed to do the 180 in two stages, ie torque all to 90 deg. then do them all another 90 degs.
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X