what is it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is it ?

in my hunt to track down a leak I've been looking at bits i've never cared about before!

the leak - I can hear a definite pssssssttt when coming of hard acceleration and as Paul can verify occasionally i get the same sound when switching off the engine.

excuse the poor photo attached (photos in the dark a bad idea really) but can someone answer an obvious question as to what it is circled in the attached photo?

just in case the photo really is too bad the attached is connected to the inlet manifold via a white hard plastic tube and standard black hose at either end.

What I have noticed is a very small amount of fresh oil at the join of the white plastic tube and the lower black hose.

cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blu_s2; 27 August 2003, 21:25.
    Jim

Jim,

That looks like the valve for the solenoid valve from the carbon canister.

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

Don't know what that is but I too had oil round there. I also had that big rubber main hose fail - I could hear a hiss and eventually no boost.

BTW - Is your inlet pipe plastic? Someone told me standard S2s were plastic.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
        Jim,

That looks like the valve for the solenoid valve from the carbon canister.

Mark.
        What does that do then?

Mark - can you show us what you did with your oil seperator thingy - was this just to stop oil entering the inlet side? How much oil do you catch?
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Maybe number 3 Jim? 034 133 517 (£41.05+)

I remember reading something on S2 Central about this...
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

i'll second the what does that do.

yep, the inlet pipe is plastic, afaik the later S2's were plastic, earlier ones were metal
            Jim

Comment

Doug,

explanation of Carbon canister frequency valve:
              http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/20vcarb.html

Mark.
              Mark - Modded

Comment

thanks for the link...
                now all i ned to do is work out where the check valve is and if it is venting on vacuum. no fault codes are stored so i *assume* the solenoid wiring is ok
                Jim

Comment

Re: what is it ?

Originally posted by blu_s2
                  in my hunt to track down a leak I've been looking at bits i've never cared about before!

the leak - I can hear a definite pssssssttt when coming of hard acceleration and as Paul can verify occasionally i get the same sound when switching off the engine.

excuse the poor photo attached (photos in the dark a bad idea really) but can someone answer an obvious question as to what it is circled in the attached photo?

just in case the photo really is too bad the attached is connected to the inlet manifold via a white hard plastic tube and standard black hose at either end.

What I have noticed is a very small amount of fresh oil at the join of the white plastic tube and the lower black hose.

cheers
                  If you can’t find the leak but know the general area then if you have access to a set of bottles then just turn the oxygen on and point the jet at suspect areas and joints, if its leaking vacuum it should pull in the oxygen and cause a fluctuation in engine speed. It’s worked for me in the past but on a 1.0 litre Polo admittedly!
                  Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

quote:
                    Mark - can you show us what you did with your oil seperator thingy - was this just to stop oil entering the inlet side? How much oil do you catch?

Doug,

I found oil in the old IC and I think I remember that you did too. So I did this to stop the oil mist entering the inlet side. Basically I removed all of the breather pipes and hoses from the block and and inlet tract.
                    I mounted the catch tank which has two inlets, one comes from the main breather outlet on the lower left side of the block and the other from the smaller outlet on the rear of the cam cover. The Mocal tank that I have comes with a breathable cap, but I found that the fumes were venting and getting into the car. So I fitted an adapter where the cap was, and piped the fumes to the offside inner wing and vent them to atmosphere via a bulkhead fitting into the wheel arch through a small K&N type filter. There was already a hole there in the inner wing from the old original air filter mount so I thought that I may as well use it!

I found that I was catching a lot of oil in the tank especially after a good blast ,this may have something to do with blowby from my knackered stem seals?.
                    I know someone else has posted on Kruemmer lately about how much oil is ending up in his inlet after a high boost drive.

So I fitted a hose to the tank where the drain plug was and drained any oil that was caught, back into the sump via a modified sump plug, although I'll probably drill and tap the sump and fit a proper JIC fitting to it when I finally take it off.

Cheers, Mark
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Here's the catch tank:
                      Attached Files
                      Mark - Modded

Comment

And the vent pipe to the inner wing:
                        Attached Files
                        Mark - Modded

Comment

Closer picture of the bulkhead fitting, on the other side of this is the small K&N type filter in the wheel arch, but above the liner.
                          Attached Files
                          Mark - Modded

Comment

out of interest how much oil did you find in the IC. When I copied your sfs mod i found less than a teaspoon of oild in the IC which i didn't think was too bad
                            Jim

Comment

Jim,
                              probably had a couple of Table spoons in the bottom, which is about right I suppose compared to yours, as I seem to remember yours is quite low mileage
                              Don't know how much Doug found in his IC?

Cheers, Mark.
                              Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                              X