Head gasket job is expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket job is expensive

That blown head gasket has started to raise its head in terms of damage caused at the same time.

First it had split the TCP in half, which was £65. Now it has come to light that it blow the core of the main rad like a baloon. The core is huge now, But it leaks like a sieve. Another new rad, £127 from Audi.

Apart from the head job, it has cost an extra £192 in parts, just for the damge caused. I blame Paul for making me turn the boost up.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

So, how often should we change a head gasket? What are the early signs of one going? Do they gradually go or just blow?
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

In my case it gave no warning. Except the car ran about 5 deg. hotter than it used to. Just one day it went BANG. There is no set time to replace a head gasket. BUT, if you have tuned your car and it has done over 100k then change it for good measure. Can cause serious and expensive probs if it goes pop. Trust me.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom,

with your contacts... is there any way you could use the (perfectly good) core from my old rad, as you know the top hose outlet snapped off on my old one, but the core is amazingly good condition

Any thoughts?
        MArtyn
        Martyn
        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Nice thought, but my old rad is a non-genuine part. The tanks on each end are made of metal and of a different design.

New rad arrived today, looks very good quality. But then it should from Audi!! managed to get 14% off as I told them i know that they get 27%!!!!

£109+VAT not too bad. The non- genuine one cost £95+VAT
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
          X