help diagnose my MPG computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help diagnose my MPG computer!

Ever since I've had my S2, the computer has failed to show the MPG, miles to garage etc. Instead it displays the instantaneous MPG as 200 (which I assume is the max value it can).
    Using the info on S2Central about the fuel calibration procedure, I don't get the "aF" code - so that suggests that the ECU is talking to the computer.
    My average speed calculation works fine, so I assume I'me getting a signal of vehicle speed or wheel rotations etc.

I had the cluster out to fix the speedo and noticed that there was a white corrosion/oxide layer on the tall pins that connect the computer unit to the main board. I cleaned them all in the hope that that it would help.

Once the cluster was re-installed and ignition switched on, the MPG showed 23.5, and the range showed 140 miles. Woohoo thought I, so I decided to go for a spin. Once the car had moved about 2 car lengths, the MPG reading returned to 200 and the range figure started to climb.

Having just filled the tank, so I could calibrate the fuel gauge and computer, the range is now showing 1450 miles (!)

So what can I check next?

Cheers,
    Nick R
    Nick R
    ---------------------------
    91 3B, 161k, Blue, Milltek.
    Still a supercar ;-)
Working...
X