Porsche Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Kit

Arrived yesterday afternoon. Will be fitted back end of next week.

ex '93 Avant owner

Can someone explain how the pads fit into the calipers.

I'm either a bit thick or else there's a part missing. The pads slot inside no problem and theres a cross shaped wire bit that clips over the top, but theres nothing else to hiold them in place.
    Surely when the piston pushes them towards the disk it'll be OK, but when you release the brake pedal, how do the pads retract from the disk?

Each pad has a small hole in the top which makes me think that some sort of spring attachment fits in, but there are no parts that will fit.

I'm not doing the job myself, so I'm not too worried about the physical fitment, but I want to make sure that everything is there when I hand it over.

Plus in the future, I want to be able to change the pads myself.
    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

sounds like all the (expensive) fitting parts are missing for the 'kit' have a look at this:
      Martyn
      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Attached Files
        Martyn
        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I wouldn't put them on my car - I would have them sitting on the mantelpiece in the living room

VERY nice
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Hi,

Martyn is correct You're missing the anti squeal pack. That is number 19 in the diagram.

The pads are stuck to a sticky backed metal plate that has two round metal magnets that fit into the caliper pistons. This helps to draw the pad away from the disk when you take your foot of the brakes.

Give the supplier a call and get your bitz before you try to fit them.

HTH
            Steve.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

The pads are stuck to a sticky backed metal plate that has two round metal magnets that fit into the caliper pistons. This helps to draw the pad away from the disk when you take your foot of the brakes.
              That sounds about right. The pads look like they are glued to a thin metal plate which is perfectly smooth.

I would have them sitting on the mantelpiece in the living room
              That would be a rather expensive ornament.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get back onto AMD to get the missing bits.
              ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Hi

I fitted a similar kit last October 322 x 32 (from AMD) and I didn't get part No. 19 either.

The brakes work well, incredible well in fact, and make the car a pleasure to drive fast, why Audi had such poor brakes on as original beats me.

But the kit was not without problems even with taking my time to bed them in I had to get the discs skimmed at 5000 miles, AMD could only say that I must have been too heavy on the braking and did not letting them cool before stopping, I think not in this case, the only thing they did say that might be true is that on the 16" rims which I use in winter there is very little air flow around the disc compared with the 17's I use in summer.

They also get surface corrosion incredible quick if not used for a week or two, (compared to my AP Racing discs on my competition car which sat in a damp garage and were still rust free after six months)

Hope you enjoy your new car, it will feel like that once you get them fitted and bedded it

Jim
                Attached Files
                95 Avant......Now sold after 11 good years and replaced with a 2011 S4 and Focus RS Mk2..!..!

Comment

Bloomin 'eck there's not much clearance on that 16" wheel :eek2:

Sidspud dare I ask the cost of the kit?

Leigh
                  Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

£1475 + VAT :eek2:

I know I could have got a much cheeper kit, but I wanted Porsche. I guess I'm just a snob deep down!
                    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Hey there's nothing wrong with being a poor snob
                      Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

There's poor, then skint, then broke, then overdrawn, then in debt and then there's me!

Actually its not all that bad. I can still afford to put some petrol in it every now and again! It's just a shame that with my driving style, that can be a tank worth every 5 or 6 days! I have to go to the pub and get smashed to save money. It means I don't drive that night or most of the following day!
                        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Sidspud

I paid a similar price, I would have probably went for Hi Spec if they were doing a kit at the time, I did ask them but they said they didn't at the time.

Where did you get yours from? they look almost identical, what size are the discs

Jim
                          95 Avant......Now sold after 11 good years and replaced with a 2011 S4 and Focus RS Mk2..!..!

Comment

Got them from AMD. They're 322 x 32mm disks.

All the gear is from a Porsche 993 Turbo.
                            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Sidspud

It's the same kit, hope you have fun with them, let me know how you get on with them after you've done some miles with them.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X