Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who can tell me more about this A/C console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can tell me more about this A/C console?

Hi guys!
    I posted this question on another forum but didn't really get the info I was looking for, perhaps someone here does has the same climate control console as I have.

The thing is I still haven't really figured this Electric Climate Control Console out, even though there are so few buttons.
    The fact that my airconditioning has been treated very poorly and thus can't really remember how to really cool things off makes it only more difficult.
    My main question's are:
    When is the airco actually on and when is it just the blower that's on? (button usage and display given).
    What button is used to only turn on the blower (no airco)?
    Also: is it normal for your car to hesitate when the airco is on?

This is my unit:

I also understand that the console I have never made it to the UK (on a RHD S2 that is, but can't give 100 % confimation on that). For fun and interest I also put 2 other consoles found in S2's 'below, the above one with aircon and the lower one without (I think).

Cya
    *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
    Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Hi Z

I have seen quite a few S2 interiors probably mostly european but i havent seen anything like that,they from what i have seen look like your last picture on a 3b but with two buttons(on-off and recirculate)and your 2nd picture is of a aby climate control.
    I take it your from stateside as >80s A/C systems tended to look like that over there.
    Do you not get an LED display light up in the middle of that unit ever?
    Are you even sure its an Audi fitment,some of the other guys here may know.Look in a few early 90s Audi 80s if they have the same its a US fitment i guess.
    Rob W
    04 Audi S4 Avant
    55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
    92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
    1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Sorry Z it doesnt say where your from when your replying,just seen your from Holland,could it be an import?
      Rob W
      04 Audi S4 Avant
      55 Merc 220cdi c class estate Family hack.
      92 Audi S2 3b Sadly gone.
      1969 mustang fastback 302. Dry storage

Comment

Originally posted by Rob W
        Sorry Z it doesnt say where your from when your replying,just seen your from Holland,could it be an import?
        As a matter of fact it is an import, but it's an import from her home country Germany, and from what I have read and seen, this A/C unit is an original Audi S2 install, I'll try and refind the source where I got that info.

Greetz
        *ZR*
        *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
        Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob W
          Do you not get an LED display light up in the middle of that unit ever?
          Yes, it does light up, but all it says is the chosen temperature, if u select below a certain point (around 15 degrees Celsius I think) it says "LO".
          *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
          Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Originally posted by *ZenithalRavage*
            I'll try and refind the source where I got that info.[/COLOR]
            I found it, it was on www.S2Central.net (Niggles section), and I quote:

Air Conditioning - This optional extra is nice to have but not really necessary for the British Isles (more's the pity). Faults in the aircon system, usually caused by leaks, are not uncommon for any ten year old car but the S2 is no different in this regard. The main 'niggle' with the aircon system is that UK owners once again got a raw deal from Audi in that they were all fitted with the manual aircon system which has three rotary controls. Cars in Europe have the much more elegant (and easy to fault-find) electronic climate control system. I think this niggle applies to all RHD S2 cars as it was also the case for cars exported to Australia.
            .... they don't have any pictures though....
            *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
            Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

My car has one of those too, MY92, imported from Germany too. It is the "early" version of Automatic Climate Control used in t89 coupes I think.
              It works something like this:

OFF: Climate control off, compressor off, blower running, blows air as hot as the water temp is, so cold engine =cold air, warm engine =hot air (don't know how to explain it better in english)

ECON: climate control on, compressor off, coldest air that you can get is outside air temperature; you can dial in the temp you want, but no real cooling (still bad english :confused: )

BILEV: climate control on, compressor on (I think, never use this one myself) blows warm air down, cold air up or was it the other way round

AUTO: climate control on, compressor on, ACC keeps the temperature that is dialled in

Windshield: climate control on, compressor on, blows dry air mainly to windshield and side windows, very good for demisting windshield when it's damp

With this ACC-model the blower is always on when ignition is on, no way to turn it off. My car hesitates too a bit when the compressor is on, usually noticeable in very slow speed, under 50km/h or something like that, like cruising in city traffic.

Use it on AUTO when it's warm or hot outside and you need to keep the car cool. If the outside air is cold enough (under 15 degrees C or so) ECON mode is usually enough to keep the car in right temperature (no need for cooled air) and it saves little bit of fuel too (it's a big compressor in S2, it takes something like 4-5 bhp when running).

Hope this helps ,
              -Jari

Comment

Hey, now that's what I'm talking about! Thank you very much for that explanation JariP

Just one peculiar thing though, you say your blower is allways on when the ignition is on. Mine isn't! It's dead still and doesn't do anything untill I press one of the buttons on the climate control (except for the "off" button, doh, heh ).
                I wonder what way it should be, I take it either yours or mine is kinda screwed up....

ps: Your english is very understandable
                *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Well that's odd, don't know which one's right. My blower stays on even on the OFF-mode, it only turns off the automatic climate control system. I'll have too see what the owners manual says about it. Too bad it's in deutsch...

Comment

Originally posted by JariP
                    I'll have too see what the owners manual says about it. Too bad it's in deutsch...
                    Jea, mine is too

I even think it doesn't explain the console I have but another one, but I'll go check once more for certain..
                    *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                    Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

... yep, it's the newer electric climate control that's explained in my manual, but to my surprise my manual is in dutch, heheh, didn't look at at much yet, but this does explain why there's a description of the newer a/c, the original german manual was probably lost.
                      *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                      Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

I got the same type of climate unit. And when I turn it of the blower is off aswell.

Jeffer
                        RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                        RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
                        Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                        High Octane website

Comment

I quess that means there's something wrong with my ACC :confused:. I'll have to see what the ACC diagnostics has to say, are there any error codes. Owner's manual says too that it should be a complete shutdown when OFF is pressed.

Comment

Send me your fault codes on that A/C system - I can check them here for a list of things to check. You need VAG1551 or VAGCOM to pull faults from the controller - though I bet there is some trick sequence to display them on A/C head...

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

You can pull fault codes from the display panel, cant remember how its done tho. I think it was on the www.20v.org site. Give it a try!
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X