• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown top hose leads to....

more expense

This was the start of this weekends repairs, a blown top hose a week ago:

Which I reckon was caused by a broken top rad mount:

Here's the other half of it:

I reckon because this top mount rubber was broken for how ever long, it's allowed the rad to move about a lot and put stress on the top hose where it joins the water manifold, which then lead to the top hose spliting.

The nasty kick in the pants as a result of that mount broken, is this:

Notice anything wrong with this picture?

Great, chalk up a new rad please :-( In four hours work this evening, I've removed the bumper, intercooler (fitting the reducer hose to get rid of the O ring seal), front panel, cross member, aux. rad, main rad, stat, all main water hoses, ps pump and a hole heap of other things to get to all this stuff. To save bandwidth here I'll build a web page with all the photos so far and how its gone. But so far... apart from the rad broken, the only two problems I've had so far is one screw in a deflector rusted solid and it won't budge, and I dropped and lost one of the nuts holding on the fan motor power leads! So I'd say so far in taking her apart its gone well this evening.

This biggest problem with the work so far is removing all the dam air guides and deflectors on and around the main rad, Half the fixing screws are nigh on impossible to reach, sounds familiar, working on S2's!

I'll post a link to all the photos and info later. And here it is

Day two work here

Martyn
    Last edited by Martynf; 9 August 2003, 21:41.
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Martyn,

Thats exactly the same problem I had with my main rad. Only in my case the radiator hadn't even been fixed in. The only thing holding it was the plastic shrouds and the water pipes.

My secondary rad was slightly better, that was held in with a huge self tapping screw that went right through the core!!! The only reason it held water was the crust of dried coolant around the hole.

Welcome to the club. On the plus side one of your photos shows exactly how the alternator belt tensioner fits together so I can get that job sorted out.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

How i'm looking forward to S2 ownership
      S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Thanks Ben!

Glad one of the photos helped you! there's not a lot really holding the main rad in place when you get down to it! only really three cotton reel rubber mounts!! if ANY of them break, and they often do!! then kiss goodbye to the main rad and your top hose WILL split!!

Can I reccommend to EVERYONE you check the condition of the top mount on the end of the strap from the front panel!!! it'll save you a fortune in the long run!!! The side one is not under as much stress and the bottom mount is HUGE, so just do your self a favor and replace the top one fast!! The top rad hose is the most expensive one :-(, but it's easy to change and could save you waiting for a tow truck to come get you!

Now I've changed all the wtaer hoses on the car, I'd say that all the main big hoses were in ok shape (100,000 miles), but the two small really hard to get to ones are a MUST CHANGE at 100k. Both oof mine were ready to blow out very soon!!

You have been advised!!

Paul, you need to get yourself a bigger garage mate! you'll not be going out any more at the weekends mate!! guess what you'll be doing...

Martyn
        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Paul, you need to get yourself a bigger garage mate! you'll not be going out any more at the weekends mate!! guess what you'll be doing...

Martyn
          I don't go out as it is...........i spend most of my weekends glued to the TV and PC.............need a woman big time
          S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Martyn,

Did you get pics of my main rad for your car too?

That's exactly what mine looked like whne the AA came to tow the car away.

But it could also be a 'careless' mechnaic putting his or her ahdn right htere whilst peering into the engine bay. Its soo tempting.

Caught myself doing it on Sunday...it would have been very uncool to get another new rad... so soon.

YOu'll have a new car soon at this rate..

Comment

Hi Michael,

well looks like this is a common 'feature' of the main rads then!! looks like a lot of people have been caught out with this. You're right it is pretty easy to put your weight on the rad whilst doing something else. That one top rubber mount is a pretty weak way to take most of the rads weight....

:-) new car! not far off!! well at least I should be able to rule out any cooling problems for the next year hopefully! that'll be worth it alone!

I didn't get your pics no???

Martyn
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

i have already changed the radiator (with the same problem) to the new one with steal top. i guess only this can prevent it from breaking.

sla s2
                sla
                '91 s2 3b, 305hp, 480 nm.
                www.4plius.com

Comment

Hmm... very interesting... so the new rads are steel tops? that'll help a bit :-)
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

yes, it is steel top

sla s2
                    sla
                    '91 s2 3b, 305hp, 480 nm.
                    www.4plius.com

Comment

My rad..from Audi, still has the plastic top..opps.
                      Its only a matter of time before I lean on it.

Martyn, I meant your pics could have been taken of my rad. I must say I wasn't keen on taking pics at 0700 on th Marylebone road in the rain when my rad went pop.. even if the AA man was prompt.

I'm beginning to think that these cars run a little too warm under the bonnet for theri own good. Mind over the last couple of days the temps have not exceeded 90 + 1 marking even in London traffic, but oil tmeps are up a little off the bottom of tha dial so something must be working under there.

Comment

Fingers crossed I get a steel top today then?

Gotcha Michel! I think I can understand your reason! I believe they do run a little on the wrm side under the bonnet!!! I meant to say actually, about two weeks before the top hose went, I put in some of that water wetter to see if it did work/ Must admit it did! it dropped the 'normal' temp from 90 down to 80 C.

I'll put some more in when I refill and the system has no leaks, Demon Tweeks I think is the cheapest place to get it £16.50 a bottle. Anything that can lower the egnine / engine bay temps is a good thing! One day..... I'm going to have the bonnet vented to help get rid of some heat. Just need to make sure the vent is tasteful and it actually works!

Martyn
                        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Working...
                        X