Porsche Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Calipers

I know this has been answered a thousand times before, but for the record: In order to use the Porsche calipers on the S2, what mods need to be accomplished and what other parts need to be purchased?

TIA!
    Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
    Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

i'd guess it depends on which porsche calipers you want to use....
    If you want the RS2 versions you'd be able to buy all the parts off the shelf... at a price.

Personally I'm looking for Boxster S/ 996 calipers now to go with my 315mm x 28mm disks (from the bremsport kit fitted by previous owner).

968 calipers are different again.....

But.... if you're doing a diy 'kit' job, you'd need:

Calipers x 2
    Mounting adaptors x 2
    Brake lines x 2 (or 4 if you want to reinforce the whole line)
    disks which fit! or rotors & bells
    fluid

I think thats it?

PS 996 calipers are £317 each from a porsche dealer
    Seat Cupra R calipers are £71 each from a dealer according to Tom C's mate ..... am checking this tomorrow!

Oh and my bremsport kit is a 315mm kit and fits inside the standard AVUS 6 spoke so I'd hope a brembo (porsche) caliper would fit in there too on the same disk.

PS2 AFAIK AP 4 pots should be £180 ea or so...
    Last edited by Alistair C; 29 July 2003, 22:34.

Comment

Alistair C, thanks a lot for taking the time out to answer my question. Because of my recent bhp boost, my brakes suddenly have become a liability, but I'm trying to find the cheapest option. I told myself I would only upgrade calipers if I could find a good deal, and there may be one on E-Bay, tho I have no idea which Porsche calipers they are.

In any case, from what I gather, there is no straight bolt-on for this...maybe it would be worth buying the calipers for later?

2001 A4

Comment

Like Mik's question, it's probably been answered a thousand times before. Are the RS2 calipers actually fitted to any of the Porsches? If so, which ones?
        Also, I seem to remember someone saying that replacement seal kits are reasonably priced. Does anyone know how much they cost? I believe the seal kit comes with replacement pistons but I'm not sure about that. Maybe Martyn might know the answer to the cost and piston questions?

Thanks

Alistair

Comment

Hi,

From what I've read the RS2 calipers are based on, or similar to the 968 cs caliper. Mike's website has some info on this -

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ke_upgrade.htm

I've fitted the RS2 calipers to my S2 and I must say I'm very pleased with the upgrade, even though I'm already on my second set of disks after only 4 months or so of use.

If you do go for RS2 calipers don't go to Audi for the pads, they are taking the piss grand style by asking....£231 incl vat for them!!

AFAIK they source them from Porsche who retail them for £91
          Bargain in comparison

HTH
          Steve.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve, that is more good info, thanks for that. So with the exception of the disc, the parts appear to bolt on. Is your upgrade the same as Mike's? The disc problem is irritationg, surely there is a better solution?

2001 A4

Comment

I think the HiSpec kit seems the best value by far. Sure it doesn't have a posey Porsche logo, but it's really subtle looking. As it works with stock A8 discs, the insurance companies are less pointy as well. Trouble with a 3B is that spacers are needed to clear the 5-spoke alloys, but same would apply on any conversion with using the 314mm disc from the A8.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thanks Paul, I'd be interested in that, I don't care about logos (I would've painted them black anyway), I just want the best I can get without having to refinance the house... How would using spacers affect the handling of the car? I imagine it would have some affect since they would only be installed on the front wheels.....

2001 A4

Comment

Mik,

It's all bolt on if you get -

RS2 calipers
                  RS2 caliper carriers - ferkin expensive, speak to VagParts
                  RS2 brake line
                  A8 - 314x30 disks
                  4 x 28x12x2.5 mm washers to space the caliper inboard slightly
                  4 x 5mm thick spacers for caliper mounting (this means you don't have to have the disks reduced in diameter)

If you can obtain those parts you'll find it's a straight forward swap to better braking

HTH
                  Steve.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Cheers Steve!

2001 A4

Comment

others here might find these interesting (re porsche calipers):
                      http://www.dutchdub.com/Brakes.htm
                      http://www.ultimategarage.com/bbrotors.html
                      Last edited by Alistair C; 30 July 2003, 22:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X