Day 3 - change the RC gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 3 - change the RC gasket

Nothing else for me to do until the water pump and radiator arrive, so why not change the RC gasket?? been putting it off long enough! 2 +1/4 hours to change.

Here

Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Martyn

What's with the sneaky picture of the dump valve and WGFV?

I did this when I had the turbo off. The intercooler pipe was already off but otherwise it was the same job. Took me just less than 30mins! :eek2:

It is amazing what you can do when you are working without a garage and the black clouds are gathering :wacked:. Afterwards I had that nagging feeling that I had forgotten something because I did it so fast but so far so good.................

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

MartynF: if it's not a big problem for ya , could you please list a price for each part you change in you 3 day replacing experience.

Could be helpful.
      Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Why is the oil filler splash guard removed Martyn?

I don't remember having to do this on mine.
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug

My oil filler splash guard wasn't fixed in place when I did mine. It came off with the rocker cover but just needed placing back over the cams before putting everything back together.

Leigh

Comment

Oh the joys of S2 ownership
            S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

the sneaky DV picture? well no one ever gets to see my lovely aluminium DV coz its so well hidden, so that was its 30 seconds of fame :-)

I'd say now I've done the RC gasket once, I could do it again in about an hour tops. You have to bare in mind, I was doing this in 90+ degrees heat in a garage with no air movement, to say it was hot was unreal! I was not working very fast, too damn hot! plus I went overboard with the cleaning of every part!! I only had this job to do today, so I did it quite slowly.

Hmm, doing a part number list of all the parts used, not a bad idea! I'll do that!

The oil filler splash?, same as Leigh's came up with the RC, so got cleaned and put back.

What I'd really like to do is replace the cambelt, but I haven't got the tools to do it and never done an S2 belt before. It would make sense to change it as its 'there' but the lack of the tools to do it.. :-( still its only done 30,000, so it not a must do job.

Martyn
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn

Don't get me wrong I wasn't gloating over the fact it took me only 30 mins rather I was saying I was worried I'd done something wrong.

My main worry was that I couldn't find one of the old half moon plugs when I'd put eveything back together. I had horrible visions of starting the car and hearing a 'rubber against high speed spinning cam' noise but I didn't so God knows where it went

I do know I have a M8x20 bolt and a phillips stubby screwdriver in my undertary somewhere I'll get around to removing it one day so I can get them out. Mind you I heard a funny noise the other day that may have been the screwdriver finally jumping ship, just outside Buxton...................

I don't envy you this heat the weather can be a pain. This is the temporary 'tent' me and a mate had to rig up to put the turbo back on the the pissing rain.

We couldn't push the car back into the garage (uphill) so had to do it outside. Also never try to tow an S2 up a slope with a Rover 214. Lots of burning clutch

Leigh
                Attached Files

Comment

no worries Leigh!! I reckon you're just a super mechanic mate Rain and working outside tends to make you work faster I bet!!

Love your gazebo garage! very ingenious! You've had yours running again for what about 2 weeks now? I'm sure its ok, things do disapear!! I dropped a fan motor nut and do you think I can find it? nope! it entered the twilight zone!

I bet the Rover stank!!

Martyn
                  Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Martyn

Believe me I am no super mechanic! Indeed I made one monumental f*ck up with my Golf that cost me a new clutch :wacked:

And no I am never ever going to admit what I did

Leigh

Oh yeah, the Rover did stink, lots of white smoke. Thing is he had only had a new clutch put in it about 2 months ago. Hope it didn't do any lasting damage.

Comment

don't put yourself down!!! you did great work on your car!! The Golf clutch, hmm let me think.... ar yes.... you needed to top up the gearbox oil, so you pulled the plug out of the top of the gearbox, and put a litre of oil in through that plug??
                      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Well I've heard that people have been know to do that, but me.............never

Comment

Hehehehehe.... The amount of times I've heard that being done.... its a very easy way to put paid to the clutch! sorry shouldn't laugh... especially when I did the same when I was 17 and had a MK1 Golf :-( you only do it once!!
                          Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Now how does that saying go?

Great minds think alike................

However there is a seldom used second line:

Fools seldom differ!

Leigh

Comment

Martyn