CV Gaiter change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Gaiter change

Heres some pictures of the lovely split CV Gaiter job i had to do.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

this is what the bits on the end of the shaft look like....
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

This is it done. What a fun time ive had today. Cant wait for the next item to fail. I suspect it will more costly and serious knowing my old shed.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom

I think 'split' is a bit of an under statement :eek2: !!!

To release the shaft do you undo the nut on the end of the hub? I had a mate listen to my wheel noise today and he too said it sounded like rubber rather than a bearing. I'm thinking maybe I should take the gater off and see if that small plastic bit you mentioned (in pic 2?) has broken.

What size jubilee clips did you use?

All I managed to do today was wash and vacuum my car. Mind you I did go out with a mate in his newly restored Mk1 E-type very impressive in a retro kind of way.

Cheers

Leigh
        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

:-) that was past it's use by date huh Tom!! Didn't get to look into the noise today on mine either Leigh, I spent most of the afternoon changing vacuum pipes, cleaning the engine bay (you should see her now! bee u tiful!) and other small bits. Took her out for a blast tonight, I LOVE my S2 :-)))
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Yeah not a bad split, still its 12 years old and done over 145k miles so its not so bad!! The clips are NOT jubilee clips they come with a new gaiter kit, from GSF, they sell GKN boot kits which are the same make as genuine. And only £15 comes with all parts needed, inc metal washer, circlip and plastic bit.

To get the shaft out, undo the bottom ball joint and the big central bolt in the hub. Pull the BJ off the hub, may need a tickle with a hammer! and them just push or pull the shaft out. EASY.

To get the joint off the end of the shaft use the old bolt and screw it into the joint, it will then go tight, keep winding it in until you get to the end of the thread and then the joint will be free.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

After I posted I realised that they were the original type of clip. What do you use to 'crimp' them?

Guy at the MOT place today said the noise could be damage to the small plastic clip inside (as you suggested). I'm wondering wether it is broken and rubbing on the splines of the shaft, that might make the noise I'm getting

Comment

There is a special tool that you can use.

OR

you can use an old pair of pliers that have had the jaws ground out so they look a bit like ( )

Then i use a big pair of mole grips to squeeze the pliers.
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I seem to remember Martyn pricing up the tool and it was £175 or something stupid!

I was guessing something like modified pliers might work.

Comment

Audiman, (or anyone else) do you know the GKN boot kit number for the outer front CV for S2? The GKN books here don't know S2 at all. Comparing with Etka and GKN book I've found two possible kits and I'd like to know for sure that I picked up the right one before ripping the old boot out...

Comment

Its the same one for 98 Passat Tdi, non quattro and A4 non quattro
                      sigpic
                      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                      Audi UR Quattro
                      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom, on your first pic I couldn't see the retaining clip in the groove on the shaft! Is it missing or did you replace it?
                        Chris
                        A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Sorry I meant 2nd pic!!!!!
                          A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

I replaced it!! Not that the joint can go anywhere without it anyways!
                            I may be young, but im not stupid :nana:
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Wasn't implying .... but if the cap fits..... :nana:
                              Young? what's that? Don't remember! How young are you then? I've fell into the pipe and slippers slot quite nicely thank you !! :nana:

Comment

Working...
                              X