Pre select sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre select sunroof

Hi all, I was just wondering how difficult it would be to change a standard switch type sunroof controller to the optional rotary preselect type? Is it a plug and play affair or is a bit of soldering required?

Cheers.
    1994 Indigo Blue S2 coupe
    1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
    2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
    1953 AJS Model 18S

Plug and play on a coupe
    Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
    England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Cool. thanks
      1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
      2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
      1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

which parts do you need? Just the motor and trim with the controls / light??
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I have manged to aquire the motor and controls from e-bay. just waiting for it to arrive.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          which parts do you need? Just the motor and trim with the controls / light??
          1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
          2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
          1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

cool. be interested to see details of the swap. My sunroof is playing up so if i have to start fiddling with it i might try and find some pre-select parts and do the swap
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Its not plug and play the wiring is different as i've got 3x panels and motors from preselect panels and 1x looms for it. The plugs are different, if you take the cover off (just use your fingers at the back) you will see the plugs are different.

The wiring loom is a pita to remove as welleh removed it from his car for me when I bought one of my panels from him.

Comment

I changed mine to the preselect and its a pain in the butt. The potentiometers are temperamental, even new ones. You can take them apart and clean the contact tracks but they always play up after a while. I've also had to replace a motor when the sensor unit went faulty. It would only open half way, then get stuck thinking it was closed
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

do you need a new 'loom' then or is it just a matter of running a couple of extra wires? I looked at the two and decided to leave it for another day. A "how to" thread would be ace if any of you manage it in the near future (I'll be concentrating on new interior and changing red to pink bodywork first)
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  1990 CQ20v
                  2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

I will be doing it as I have the loom spare to go into mine and I know i've got enough panels/motors now. Most of it is plug and play think there was one with that is not but its a right pita to get up the side of the a pillar and behind the roof lining over to where the motor is then you have the fun of getting the old loom out.

Comment

Sell your bits to me then Pete so I can fix mine, you don't need a sunroof it makes the car go slower,sell it to me

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                        Sell your bits to me then Pete so I can fix mine, you don't need a sunroof it makes the car go slower,sell it to me
                        He can't....he's already sold his spare motor and panel to me So once Pete has done his, he'll be popping round to do mine

Cheers n

Si
                        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post
                          He can't....he's already sold his spare motor and panel to me So once Pete has done his, he'll be popping round to do mine

Cheers n

si's got to have a look at the panels and decide which one's he wants then i'll give you a shout mate

Si
                          Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                          lol - I have 3x motors and 3x panels mate

had them all on me yesterday with the rs grille to see you, take it your away on business, shame as it was a good day. I'm up on the last weekend of the month if your around?

Comment

Comment

OK so i managed to get my preselect controller up and running.

I had to modify the preselects wire harness that i got along with the controller to make it fit.

As you can see i have marked the wires to show what they all are.

What i did was unplug the existing normal controller(rocker switch type) and cut off the two power connectors leaving them a bit long.

Take a note what colour is positive in the car(mine was black).

Next cut the new harness down too size and part the wires and get out the soldering iron. Using the connectors from the old controller solder them on to the new controller remembering to connect the right colour of plug to each of the two thick wires (It is possible to separate the plastic body of the plug and the spade connector by using a small flat headed screwdriver to push in the small tab on the spade and pulling).

Next the second smaller positive needs power so to do this simply solder it to the first big positive as shown on the top picture.

All that needs to be done now is neaten everything up and blank off the unused wire.

Plug it into the car and check that it works if so screw it in and enjoy preselect power in your fingertips.

Sorry if i have not explained this to clearly as i ain't to good at explaining things.

Good luck

Cheers,
                              Brian
                              1994 80 Avant 1.9 TDI
                              2005 Yamaha Fazer 1000
                              1953 AJS Model 18S

Comment

Working...
                              X