Project Last Minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Last Minute

After my MOT failure a few weeks back, what was supposed to be a quick bit of re-work has turned into a bit of a mini-nightmare.

It originally failed for:

'blue' sidelights
    'nearside front brake pipe unsecured
    brake lines close to the ABS pump unsecured

In addition with Le Mans looming on the horizon, I desperately needed to find the source of a waterleak.

Whilst setting about finding the leak and sorting the mot items, i decided to sort out a number of advisories

Fuel Lines

I used the recommended combo of 8mm kunifer and the Wade connectors. No real dramas apart from doing it on my back with car on axle stands was fun.

One thing to note on the 3b is that the line from the fuel filter has a banjo connection and a ferrule onto the hardline. Luckily i had bought 5 wade connectors so decided to cut that line and retain the fitting.
    No problems getting the fuel line holders shut following completion, just need a thin blade screwdriver to hook them over the ridge. I started in the middle them worked back to the tank and then down to the engine side. I had one small drama where i hadn't made a great template of the original line and it didnt want to fit where it rises up to cross the rear of the car. In the end and with time not on my side, i used the 5th wade and just cut the pipe to take the extra height out.

Rear subframe
    Fluid leak over the brake bomb

And as is always the case, you solve one problem and create some new ones

-changed the front arb bushes for the superflex ones
    -decided to change the rear arb bushes too, then proceded to round off and snap the two bolts holding the arb bush bracket to the frame
    -Sent off the rear subframe to get t-zerted at a local garage
    -Went to pickup the subframe following a shot blast only to find that it had rotten through behind the bracket which you bolt the rear diff mount through
    -Got the subframe welded and painted up
    -Renewed the rear subframe alloy bushes as the originals from Dialynx which have been on the car since about 2003 had turned into white powder and vanished

Found the source of the waterleak was from the 3 entry points from the water rail into the head. The halfrauds o-ring kit rings that i had used in 2007 when getting set for the Ring had failed and under pressure water was escaping.

Reinstalled some fresh OEM ones along with a new larger gasket for the main feed. Whilst doing this i noticed that the knock sensors has both got heavy plastic cracking so took the opportunity whilst having access to change those too

Spent the whole of the day outside today, painting the freshly welded subframe with Hammerite and reinstalling that on the car, refreshing all the bolts, washers etc at the rear end and fitting some new alloy subframe mounts from Bambridge.

Sorted the bracket on the nearside strut which holds the hardline from the caliper to the flexi so it cannot move and then removed the cats.

Just need to run the car tomorrow and flush the coolant circuit with a descaler to remove a load of crap and then she should be ready for the MOT. Hopefully get Pirtek to make up a new rubber section on an aircon hose as the one from the condenser to the pump has loads of cracking on and looks like the reason my gas disappeared

Fingers crossed it passes tomorrow only 6 days till I go away so can't afford any new issues to resolve!!!
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Hurry up!!

Comment

I hate last minute.com work and the stress that goes with it. good luck fella hope you get it all sorted.
      Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Busy busy busy... hope you get it all sorted
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

No pressure mate....... good luck !
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

good advert for anodising there on those bushes
            Where are the pics of all the nice new shiney bits?
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Good luck David, I was like this last year getting my manifold bits sorted before the trip.

Comment

lol, yeah those bushes are a real state..they were anodised but as you can see, didn't stop the rot setting in.

Not many pics of the new stuff, been to busy just getting it sorted to take many to be honest. If it passes tomorrow I'll take some, if not I'll be sulking with a beer
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Good luck David, let us know if you (and your work) passes

I've learned the last minute car stresses, cyl head off the night before flying to the US... good job Pete always comes to the rescue
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Good luck with the latest MOT David.

I have the dreaded at the end of this month and if my large batch of preventative maintenance during this spring has not does its trick I will be miffed!
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Good work!

I also share the pain of last minute work.. the best was having the entire air inlet system, inlet manifold back to the airbox, out of the car at midnight, 5 hours before i was due to set off to the 'ring.
                      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

sat in the MOT...fingers crossed, feel like an expectant father again lol.

Andy, you're not alone with that kind of Ring preparation :haha:
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

so, she failed again, on the emissions this time non flashing repeaters . went home, threw cats back on, sorted the repeaters out and here i am again....if it doesnt go through, I'm cycling down to Le Mans
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

[QUOTE=Error404;573647]good advert for anodising there on those bushes

Wud be good to know if the old ones were Hard Black Anodised or just Black Anodised??

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                              so, she failed again, on the emissions this time non flashing repeaters . went home, threw cats back on, sorted the repeaters out and here i am again....if it doesnt go through, I'm cycling down to Le Mans
                              Hope you get it sorted this time. Got my fingers crossed.

If not, fly into CDG and I'll pick you up on my way through.

Comment

Working...
                              X