Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning Drain???

Got a problem folks.

I've got water "spraying" out under the dash into the passenger footwell. It's not coolant as it doesn't taste like it, plus it's cold.

I have removed all the underside of the dash to take a look. I thought it may have been leaking from the rubber hose just on the right under the glove box (the one with the thumbflap) but it's not that.

Looking above the spider vent you can see the lever that turns with the dial from the hot/cold air dial. The water is dripping out from under there, but seems to be coming out with force when driving.

I cannot see any hoses under there. It can't be the heater matrix either as it's not coolant. My only guess is that it's perhaps fluid from a condensation trap of sorts. No idea if there is one, or where it would be.

I have been using the air conditioning a lot the last few days, usually on max setting. It's definitely not rainwater as it hasn't been raining the last few days until today. It's not screenwash either.

I did notice I had a bit of a cloud machine going on the other day, but yesterday my wife felt water spraying onto her foot. She's not into water sports so didn't really take to it.

You could see the water trickling down the carpet in the right hand back corner of the passenger footwell. With the carpet pulled back it's spraying out from under the centre of the dash, but when idling at a standstill you can see it dripping from the area I mentioned.

Apologies for the long post, but the more information the better I guess.

Hope somone can help, because I'm stumped.
    acidtrax

Great, my car's just dumped a load of engine oil on the drive.

Anything else going to **** up today?
    acidtrax

Comment

wish I could help matey ! any ideas why the oil has leaked out ? that sounds serious....
      DAVIDP20V - 95' Polar Silver RS2 standard 315 bhp, forge diverter valve, Mark H mod and boost gauge..... and shes for sale.

Comment

No idea.

Recovery service are collecting her in the morning. She's off to hospital.
        acidtrax

Comment

What a bitch, after she was so photogenic at the weekend. You need to have words mate
          Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
          S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

I'm not really laughing m8. Think I have a big bill coming up...
            acidtrax

Comment

You have any idea's of the oil problem?? Symptoms etc.....
              Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

bolx, i can sympathise completely mate, im still fuming.
                Good luck
                Gav
                S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Pouring out from in between the radiator and the sump. Unsure of source, can't see from above. No oil from the top end though.

Perhaps a seal, or where the oil pressure sensors are?
                  acidtrax

Comment

It could be either:

the oil temp sensor or the oil pressure sensor

or

maybe the breather system is blocked and is presurising the system, and forcing the oil from the sump into the breather pipes??

Just a thought
                    Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

Oil pressure sensor needed replacing, I know that much. I was getting the low pressure warnings over 2000rpm.
                      acidtrax

Comment

Maybe related? got to be worth a try mate.
                        Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

I had mine blow the top off the oil pressure switch on the side of the engine. It's between the engine and the rad.

I was doing 140 at the time so it made a right mess as it spewed oil all over the engine bay. Apparently looked quite spectacular though as the oil hit the exhaust and I left a 'red arrows style' smoke display behind me.

Oil carried on pouring out ages after the engine was switched off so could be a similar problem on yours. The switch is the same as on almost all VW/Audi engines of our vintage and they quite often leak.

Ben
                          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Cheers for sharing that Ben. Fortunately I was only doing about 5mph off the driveway at the time. Mate was walking past and noticed the oil... was just off to Ikea of all places!

Was the repair just a simple case of replacing the switch?
                            acidtrax

Comment

No matter, just found your old post: http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ressure+switch

Will have a go at this one myself I think.
                              acidtrax

Comment

Working...
                              X