Towing haldex/4motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing haldex/4motion

I plan to use an A frame to tow a r32 around 60 miles with all 4 wheels on the ground obviously. Has anyone got any experience with the haldex system and towing?
    F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
    1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

The info I have whilst specifying 4-motion (not r32) states 30mph max speed for a maximum of 30 miles.

Comment

Interesting that, in essence it's just coasting. With the engine off I don't think the haldex is even engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by AquaS2 View Post
        Interesting that, in essence it's just coasting. With the engine off I don't think the haldex is even engaged.
        I think you're right.

Comment

Max 30 miles/30mph, same as a quattro vehicle.

Up to you if you want to risk damage.

Other thing is that towing on an A-frame unless it is for 'recovery to a safe place' is illegal. Towing like this is a no-no.

Towing with a rope nowadays, again unless it is 'recovery to a safe place', is illegal, and must be done with a towing bar.

Comment

Oh never knew that, I was under the assumption using an A frame was the safest method to tow.
            I just need to get my car upto stealth racing as it's thrown its toys out the pram. Perhaps flatbed it is then..

Comment

Yep, it does suck... but then A-frames and ropes were never really that safe

Comment

I towed my torsen quattro car over 300 miles on an A frame with no problems, all above 50 miles an hour too
                Last edited by gnutz2; 21 February 2017, 14:29.
                The ONLY S2 Golf!
                http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
                10.42@138mph
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Hired a trailer last week from a local place to me and with 2 straps it was £32 quid!
                  IMO not worth damaging anything or killing anyone if it all goes pear.

Comment

Working...
                  X