Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 airbag installation question

Hi everyone.

Need some help about airbags and partnumbers.

I've got RS2 produced in 1994-1995. W/o VIN (car was stolen many years ago).

Then I bought this car it was with 3-spoke RAID steering wheel with Airbag but w/o passenger airbag.
    Airbag controller was installed and works fine.

Now I try to install OEM 3-spoke airbag steering wheel.

This wheel needs airbag ring 4D0 951 543 D
    But this ring doesn't fit my switches. My numbers was 443 953 513 L and 4A9 953 503 A
    So I buy left switch (4D0 953 513 01C) and right switch (8D9 953 503 A 01C).

But these switches doesn't fit my steering column.

So, the question is: As I understand I've got 8G1 419 561 B steering column and I need to buy 8G1 419 561 E steering column to fit all of parts to my car?

Alternative Methods to install sport airbag steering wheels

You should ask how to do that conversion before you buy new parts that don't solve the problem.

The issue is the sport 3 spoke airbag steering wheels use a different clock spring with a diameter location for the signal light cancellation. To solve this problem, you either have to modify the new clock spring to work with the old signal light switch or you have to modify the new 3 spoke air bag steering wheel to work with your existing clock spring.

I have experience with modifying the new clock spring. Recently I found a procedure to modify the steering wheel that I am going to try. See below for the two links:

1. Modifying the clockspring:

Steve Y's write-up based on my "Method 3" sketch:

http://12v.org/urs/UrS4SportSteeringWheelConversion.pdf

Test fitting Method 3 prior to the addition of epoxy:

2. The Steering wheel modification by Author: Martin Newiger on a German Audi V8 forum (Translation by me and Google Translate):

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/306800.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      The issue is the sport 3 spoke airbag steering wheels use a different clock spring with a diameter location for the signal light cancellation.
      Yes!

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
      To solve this problem, you either have to modify the new clock spring to work with the old signal light switch or you have to modify the new 3 spoke air bag steering wheel to work with your existing clock spring.
      Thanks a lot, but that's not that I looking for.
      I'll try to do it as on factory.
      So I'm ready to but all parts (the all available from VAG), but I'm little confused with OEM numbers.

Is the steering tube 8G1 419 561 B the last part that I should buy to install 3 spoke wheel as it was on new car?

Comment

Lots of UrS4 guys have modified that tab to the clock spring. It's super common for urS4 guys to do so they can run the later 3-spoke "Sport" airbag wheel in their cars, which came with the 4-spoke non-sport wheel from the factory. Those instructions above should give you what you need.

Comment

But the main goal of my work is restore car in factory condition.

And I ain't got 4-spoke non-sport wheel...

Comment

In Berlin atm so i am without the parts catalog and cannot remember numbers off the top of my head so I have to ask. Is the problem that the hole in the switches is too small or too large?

Comment

Tom! I'm waiting for you here!

New switches has too large hole.

Is the difference only in steering tube?

Comment

At your service. .

There are a couple of options here for you.

There is an adapter ring that was used on the later Audi cabriolet that slides over the steering column and then your switches will fit over this perfectly. I have a couple of these in my parts box at home so I can get you the number later. Maybe a kind soul on the forum can find it for you before then.

Another choice is to buy the switches for the earlier cars which have the smaller hole. Sometime around 1995 Audi changed to the larger diameter steering column. I always thought that it was due to them doing away with the Procon 10. Anyway, there is a point where they switched and you need to buy the earlier switches.

The last option is to change your steering column, but that isn't really an option is it. Haha.

I hope that helps you.

Comment

Steering column, switches, plastic column covers, connectors for switches. I'm doing this 3 spoke airbag wheel conversion for Cabrio right now so I guess I should take pictures of process and post them along with some information.

Comment

Tom,

First time I hear about "adapter ring". Waiting for OEM Numbers with great Interest.

At present I've got switches with small hole, but the airbag ring (square) didn't fit them.

And I've already got plastic column covers and airbag ring for 3-spoke wheel (but got RAID wheel and some modifications for clock spring).

mdz,

Is the 8G1 419 561 E the right number for steering column?

Comment

The issue it's been covered recently in this very forum with all infos and parts number...including the adapter
                      Funny that our UrS4boy did'nt remember... It's less then twenty days ago...
                      That said here the link:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75988

DJ Kill what does it mean no vin number the car was stolen....
                      Was it stolen from you?
                      Would you care explain me th story of the car?

Stefano
                      http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Veneto!
                        Thanks a lot!

I'm lost in searching and didn't find this thread!

VIN number was changed (from usual V6 audi) then the car was stolen. And I can't restore original VIN (even if I know engine and gearbox numbers).

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Kill View Post
                          mdz,

Is the 8G1 419 561 E the right number for steering column?
                          Column I'm using has part number 893419233A, came from 1995 B4.
                          And here comes the unexpected - old steering column has THE SAME part number, but columns are different
                          Old on the left, new on the right:

Old:

New:

8G... part number states that pars comes from a Cabrio, but lot of factory replacement parts for B4 came with 8G... part numbers so it might be the right one.

Comment

Actually there's two part numbers on new column. Here's second:

8G1419565A

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                              At your service. .

There are a couple of options here for you.

There is an adapter ring that was used on the later Audi cabriolet that slides over the steering column and then your switches will fit over this perfectly. I have a couple of these in my parts box at home so I can get you the number later. Maybe a kind soul on the forum can find it for you before then.

Another choice is to buy the switches for the earlier cars which have the smaller hole. Sometime around 1995 Audi changed to the larger diameter steering column. I always thought that it was due to them doing away with the Procon 10. Anyway, there is a point where they switched and you need to buy the earlier switches.

The last option is to change your steering column, but that isn't really an option is it. Haha.

I hope that helps you.
                              in this pdf that I made for the cq steering wheel conversion you can find the part numbers and pictures
                              http://quattro4life.com/download/pdf/swheel.pdf
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X