Lathe,mill and tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe,mill and tools

Got tired of cutting and grinding 20/20mm hss blanks to get parting tools.I have an option to get a tool holder for hss blade or get to carbide+tool holder.What is your experience?I see 2 types of holders for carbide.

I do not cut exotic materials.Use it only for the shop.To get an idea of vibrations/rigidity:Lathe is a small/medium one,750mm between centers,320mm over the ways,280 or so over the bed.Tool holder is 20mm.

Have it for 5 years or so and never had to cut parts more than 80mm diameter.So lets say will use it more for small diameters that will require higher rpm.

Regards,
    Attached Files

In my experience, I'm a machinest with 13 years experience, I would take the carbide parting blade over the HSS. Your initial investment will be higher, but they last longer and cut better. I use a style similar to the first pic you posted. It's nice to have the versatility of the adjustable blade length.

Comment

I also have that type of cutter tool which in the first pic. Works decently with my small Colchester, but have to keep the rpm quite low when cutting steel other wise I get vibrations. Almost all my lathe cutters are with carbide inserts, I like them. Can easily machine some harder/hardened materials like gearbox cogwheel etc. HSS cutters could be good for aluminium if you can grind them right.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

As above we use the adjustable blade with carbide insert - much cheaper than your time used making HSS tools!
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
        X