power steering pump leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering pump leak

the rubber o ring on my power steering pump has gone...again. Thos time however i cant get the cover undone. It looks like a massive philips screwdriver. Is there a special tool or a trick to undo it?
    Cheers

Jay

PS pump X-plug and removal and tightening tool

Originally posted by jay walker View Post
    the rubber o ring on my power steering pump has gone...again. Thos time however i cant get the cover undone. It looks like a massive philips screwdriver. Is there a special tool or a trick to undo it? Cheers Jay
    The plug in question comes with a new, proper, O-ring, compatible with the PS fluid:

The tool is called a drag link socket, e.g. 3/8" or 1/2" drive, that kind of looks like a big screwdriver blade, only a socket. You might have to file off the corners of the blade to make it fit:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

There are a couple of small plugs (6mm?) which also have O rings, it would be woth checking these too while the pump is off. Mine were both leaking.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

brill! Where can i get a new plug from and what is it called i tried audi they said id have to get a new pump.......£670. Ouch. If anyone has a part number that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

pictures just loaded. Dam phone. That is spot on! Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by jay walker View Post
            pictures just loaded. Dam phone. That is spot on! Thanks guys!
            I thought you were blind there for a moment.
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
              The plug in question comes with a new, proper, O-ring, compatible with the PS fluid:

The tool is called a drag link socket, e.g. 3/8" or 1/2" drive, that kind of looks like a big screwdriver blade, only a socket. You might have to file off the corners of the blade to make it fit:

I need to change the O ring on the top of my power steering pump.

I'm struggling to find the drag link socket.

Anyone know a supplier??

Comment

Can get em on ebay about £15 I just used the end of a crow bar or tap it round with a cold chisel

Comment

Yeh I had a look on eBay but there all from America, not worth it with postage costs.

Might just have to try the cold chisel method

Comment

here's one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18159...f14=108&ff19=0

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

i was searching for "drag link sockets".

"Square drive screwdriver sockets" brings up lots of results

Comment

the trick is DON'T overtighten that X-plug , or it'll rip the o-ring ...and yeah, the end of a cold chisel or small pry bar will fit with a bit of filing down

Comment

Hi has anyone got a new PS pump plug and O ring they wish to sell?(3b coupe).. or a link to where I might get one please...Is it possible get just the O ring? Thanks in advance C////...
                          :wave: :thumbs:

Comment

I got hold of a 1/2inch to 3/4inch socket adapter and ground the big 3/4in square down to fit in the cross section. I didn't bother Grinding it into an x shape so it was easy done with angle grinder to make a 'chisel' shape on the end. Benefit of using the adapter is that a you can still use a socket wrench to undo it.

Comment

Working...
                            X