Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY FW Centre / Spigot / Pilot Bearing

Hi all,

I need to get the flywheel centre (spigot / pilot) bearing and wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere to get it at a reasonable cost. It's only £20-30 but worth asking about for sure. I'd like a proper brand, naturally Sachs, INA, something like that. the place I want to get the release bearing from doesn't list it.

Cheers
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Just to be clear:

ABY release bearing = 012141165E (also 3B, AAN, etc, etc)

ABY Pilot bearing (aka "needle bearing") = 034105313A (also 3B, AAN, etc, etc) BK15x24x26

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

This one

ABY Pilot bearing (aka "needle bearing") = 034105313A (also 3B, AAN, etc, etc) BK15x24x26
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

TPS or dealers m8
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Sachs 1863 869 005
          LuK 410 0015 10
          INA F-212285
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I've been looking for pictures of the 7A and 3B flywheels online, to se if the ABY pilot bearing will fit. I know I have one on the 3B that's on the car at the mo but was just having a worry about it. TBH, the FW and the bearing are both with Aelred, so if they don't fit then I'll find out soon enough...
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              I've been looking for pictures of the 7A and 3B flywheels online, to se if the ABY pilot bearing will fit. I know I have one on the 3B that's on the car at the mo but was just having a worry about it. TBH, the FW and the bearing are both with Aelred, so if they don't fit then I'll find out soon enough...
              According to my good friend Sally (vagcat) the 7A bearing is 034105276B which equates to a grooved ball bearing 32x15x10mm so its completely different.

A little more digging, the ABY one 034105313A is the same as used on porsche boxters, and GSF have them PN 022VG0720 £21 for an LUK one.

Hows that for a slice of fried gold.
              1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
                According to my good friend Sally (vagcat) ... the ABY one 034105313A is the same as used on porsche boxters, and GSF have them PN 022VG0720 £21 for an LUK one.
                Interesting about the cross-over to the Porsche Boxster.

As for Sally, she must be a cousin of my good friend Kate. Kate has red hair. Sally?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Out of interest.
                  What's the symptoms/indications that these are worn / failing?

Comment

Do not think it is really a common failure at least on our cars. When I had my clutch out two years ago we didn't replace it and all was fine afterwards. But on conversion to Single mass this was obviously a new part.
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

The pilot bearing makes a whirring noise with the car stationary and the engine running. I did a prolonged emissions test once and it got a bit hot...

You need to apply plenty of molyslip to the bearing, before installation.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

What kinda noise....

rusty, having just had my box off and putting it back, I've now developed a squeaky whine and I have a nagging feeling I've damaged or caught the spigot bearing putting it back.. Does that sound likely, and the squeak is pretty loud.

Oh and btw, Can I change it without pulling the flywheel off?

Comment

Need to lubricate it with moly grease before assembly. Mine made a whirring/whining noise when I got it hot. Could be a number things unfortunately...
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Thanks Rusty, I'll pull it back, lube it up and slip it back in and see what happens!!!

Comment

Yes, best of luck. I think its flywheel off to replace it
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X