The only member in Brazil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only member in Brazil?

A brief introduction for those interested in this 'exotic' market before I start using the great resources available here on the S2 forum:
    I am two weeks into ownership of an RS2 in the not very German surroundings of Sao Paulo. As you may or may not know the Brazilian car market is distorted by import and sales taxes such that imported cars cost 50-100% more than in the UK and locally made cars generally stick to less than two litre non-turbo engines. This means that fast cars are generally only for the rich and are imported in low quantities. Fortunately, rich people tend to like new cars, so as they age, previously unaffordable cars depreciate more than the cheaper ones and reach somewhere near uk second hand prices.

This is the case for the RS2. It is said that between 60 and 80 were imported here in 95. The market isn't very transparent so no idea how many are still out there but there are generally about five available at any moment in time for between r$70 to 80k (fx rate is currently 4.7 to the pound). Think there's a coulle of noggy blue ones out there but they rarely come up. It's the only 90s performance car that I have found in any volume and for a reasonable price out here so after a year of keeping my eye on the market I took the plunge and purchased a silver one for weekend fun. Details below:
    - alleged 70 thousand km, although service history is not common or reliable out here so it's difficult to verify. Could well be genuine looking at the condition of the seats, steering wheel and gear stick;
    - some history, the only significant thing being a full clutch change in 2012;
    - terribly loud exhaust put on which desperately needs changing (any recommendations?);
    - a turbo pressure gauge (which at least looks to be official audi) put in in place of one of the driver air vents;
    - air con not cooling;
    - slight offset from first to second (have to shift down and slightly to the right to engage second - is this normal?)
    - non-original carpets;
    - everything else looks original and is in good working order.
    Breaking her in with care as the last owner rarely used it, but am happy to confirm that it still flies! The main risk is the state of the roads out here - any damage will cost a fortune to repair as parts will have to be imported and subject to ridiculous taxes. Potentially the best or most expensive decision i've made.

Good luck with that then, ive been on some of the roads there, not much worse than some we have here oh and

Comment

Congrats on your RS2 purchase. You are not the only S2Forum member from Brazil. There are at least a couple more with S2s and/or RS2s.

Check your Private Mail.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Welcome Smf32, this is the right place to deal with your purchase.

Fascinating insight to the grief that you guys have to put up with over there.

I see loads of expense and heartache ahead for you, but it is great when everything is good and it is boosting.

The bad shifting is not normal, and I would suggest that it is an issue with the linkage, which is the first thing / easiest thing to check out as the first step to fixing it.

Hope you're mechanically minded or have a good mate who is, as these cars benefit from constant attention to keep everything in order as and when the various issues arise. I'm sure you know this already anyway.

Any photos ?

Kind regards.

Comment

Welcome Smf... I didn't even know there were that many imported to Brazil. That's great!
          Post pics of your RS2 when you have a chance.

I just got back from Brazil in January.. I was taking a class at FGV in Sao Paulo to complete my graduate degree. Really a great place and very friendly people. Yes, some bad roads, but your highways seemed pretty good in the region of Sao Paulo at least! That can't be said for everywhere in America, btw.

This importation tariffs to bring in any foreign goods is no joke there. Very $$$$!

But, this car is sure to appreciate nicely and that motor is actually quite reliable. I think you made a wise investment decision!

The air condition system is old and likely should be completely rebuilt. New compressor is the only expensive part. The receiver/dryer is inexpensive. Only use the proper OEM compressor, which will be a Zexel (Japanese built) unit. These can be had for a urS4/S6 car (AAN engine code) for about $350-400 USD on Ebay in the US, but I think the RS2 (yup, you guessed it) is slightly different and probably a lot more expensive! Whether they are totally interchangable is hard for me to tell.

I have pictured a new Zexel unit below. The one for the RS2 should look similar.

You will want to purchase the following:
          New AC compressor (OEM Zexel only)
          New AC compressor seals (OEM only)
          New Receiver/Dryer
          New Oriface tube (filter)
          1 can of PAG oil

I personally just did a flush on the system and think your condenser should be fine. I left mine as is. There's a process to draining and re-filling the R134A freon stuff, so I'd make sure someone who is familiar with these systems is doing the work.

Good luck!
          Last edited by c4S6; 4 April 2015, 06:19.

Comment

c4S6, good information, thanks for taking the time to share.

Any part numbers to edit into your post to make it even better ?

Comment

Originally posted by c4S6 View Post

But, this car is sure to appreciate nicely and that motor is actually quite reliable. I think you made a wise investment decision!
              Certainly agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Smf32 View Post

- terribly loud exhaust put on which desperately needs changing (any recommendations?);
                A quiet 2.75" system, if that is the standard size, is the best long term choice. The car will be worth more, and more enjoyable to drive everyday on the street if it doesn't go much above chipped level of power.

As the price for oem exhaust system is so high, even more so in Brazil, assuming it is available, as I found that it wasn't in 2014. Audi Tradition may have or start to make them, but there may not be the demand, as apart from the price issue when they were available, most owners got / get custom made stainless steel ones.

imho, one point to note is to certainly consider is to make sure that there are enough boxes in the system, at least two, preferably three as the boxes in a aftermarket system tend not to be as big as the oem specially shaped boxes, and the aftermarket ones are straight through and so do not quieten the exhaust as much as oem, and therefore I feel there should be three boxes.

This is based on what I found when I have a stainless steel system made up for my ABY Avant, it was too loud, cost me €450, fit was not perfect, and now is in the way in my garage. I put the original exhaust back on with no loss of performance and the lack of noise means the car does not attract attention on the street.

Above posted to hopefully allow others to consider all the options and make the right choice first time for themselves, to save on money and annoyance.

HTH.

Last edited by macspring; 15 April 2015, 07:58.

Comment

Hey bro! You're not alone in here.... I also live in SP, but my car is a 80 avant v6.
                  Good luck with the RS2, it's on my list to have one before I die, hahaha.
                  As for the AC system, mine wasn't working as well... I took it to a shop in Vila Madalena, and the guy manage to fix it. If you want some tips, send me a PM.
                  Abraço e boa sorte!

Comment

Another from Brazil

Comment

Definitely you are not alone.

Post some pics!

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Smf32 View Post
                        A brief introduction for those interested in this 'exotic' market before I start using the great resources available here on the S2 forum:
                        I am two weeks into ownership of an RS2 in the not very German surroundings of Sao Paulo. As you may or may not know the Brazilian car market is distorted by import and sales taxes such that imported cars cost 50-100% more than in the UK and locally made cars generally stick to less than two litre non-turbo engines. This means that fast cars are generally only for the rich and are imported in low quantities. Fortunately, rich people tend to like new cars, so as they age, previously unaffordable cars depreciate more than the cheaper ones and reach somewhere near uk second hand prices.

This is the case for the RS2. It is said that between 60 and 80 were imported here in 95. The market isn't very transparent so no idea how many are still out there but there are generally about five available at any moment in time for between r$70 to 80k (fx rate is currently 4.7 to the pound). Think there's a coulle of noggy blue ones out there but they rarely come up. It's the only 90s performance car that I have found in any volume and for a reasonable price out here so after a year of keeping my eye on the market I took the plunge and purchased a silver one for weekend fun. Details below:
                        - alleged 70 thousand km, although service history is not common or reliable out here so it's difficult to verify. Could well be genuine looking at the condition of the seats, steering wheel and gear stick;
                        - some history, the only significant thing being a full clutch change in 2012;
                        - a turbo pressure gauge (which at least looks to be official audi) put in in place of one of the driver air vents;
                        - air con not cooling;
                        - slight offset from first to second (have to shift down and slightly to the right to engage second - is this normal?)
                        - non-original carpets;
                        - everything else looks original and is in good working order.
                        Breaking her in with care as the last owner rarely used it, but am happy to confirm that it still flies! The main risk is the state of the roads out here - any damage will cost a fortune to repair as parts will have to be imported and subject to ridiculous taxes. Potentially the best or most expensive decision i've made.
                        I'm too thinking about buying an RS2 in Brazil but then importing it to Canada were I live. I'm keeping an eye on the market there and I agree with you, they are the only 90's performance car reasonable priced there.
                        Have you find a reputable shop in SP to maintain your RS2 ? I Would like to have a PPI done locally before pulling the trigger on my purchase .

Comment

Macspring - thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I am pretty lead handed with a spanner having only ever messed around with old VWs a fair while ago, so I know the basics but never touched anything as complicated as this. I'm also living in the middle of the city so space is a little problem and I'll probably end up leaving most of the work to a trusted mechanic when I find one. It's a shame as there's what looks to be a pretty decent write-off in one of the scrapyards in a city not too far from here so there would be some rich pickings for spare parts. Put a couple of photos in my profile - everything standard apart from the exhaust as far as I can tell. Good color if I may say so myself!

Comment

Thanks for the help C4S6. Luckily it's currently winter here so the rapidly heating cabin makes for quite a nice place to be, but as soon as those 35 degree C plus days come round, I'm going to need this fixed as there's only so much relief an open window and sunroof can bring. If I find the right part numbers I'll post them up.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              A quiet 2.75" system, if that is the standard size, is the best long term choice. The car will be worth more, and more enjoyable to drive everyday on the street if it doesn't go much above chipped level of power.

As the price for oem exhaust system is so high, even more so in Brazil, assuming it is available, as I found that it wasn't in 2014. Audi Tradition may have or start to make them, but there may not be the demand, as apart from the price issue when they were available, most owners got / get custom made stainless steel ones.

imho, one point to note is to certainly consider is to make sure that there are enough boxes in the system, at least two, preferably three as the boxes in a aftermarket system tend not to be as big as the oem specially shaped boxes, and the aftermarket ones are straight through and so do not quieten the exhaust as much as oem, and therefore I feel there should be three boxes.

This is based on what I found when I have a stainless steel system made up for my ABY Avant, it was too loud, cost me €450, fit was not perfect, and now is in the way in my garage. I put the original exhaust back on with no loss of performance and the lack of noise means the car does not attract attention on the street.

Above posted to hopefully allow others to consider all the options and make the right choice first time for themselves, to save on money and annoyance.

HTH.

Thanks again Macspring. I think I'll probably go for the custom build as have had a place here in Sao Paulo recommended to me - good advice on the number of boxes. Will try to copy the original two tube for the visible part and just minimize the noise as much as possible without impacting power.

Comment

Working...
                              X