How long should batteries last???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should batteries last???

Well I the last new battery in the S2 has lasted about 4-5 years, which I though was okay considering I run it down completely flat in the garage on numerous occasions.

Yesterday I went to Anna's Audi 80. It was flat as a pancake and had been driven on Thursday with no problems.

I would not jump start off another car, so I put my Ctek charger on it. It has now been charging for nearly 24 hours and the battery is showing 10v!

The battery is 3.5 years old (warranty was for 3 years ) so my question is, does that seem normal? I though batteries normally lasted 5 - 10 years?

I don't think this one has ever been run particularly flat, although for the last year to nine months the car has only been used once a week or so for shortish trips. Would that kill a battery stone dead???

Bear in mind the car has never not started since we bought the battery....

Any comments?

Cheers,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

If it's that dead then it sounds like you might have a short, perhaps an ageing alarm or dodgy boot light?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

mine lasted just over 18 months luckly was with the warranty and they had it back on friday

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        If it's that dead then it sounds like you might have a short, perhaps an ageing alarm or dodgy boot light?
        Agreed, I am worried there is something wrong that has caused this sudden failure...
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I would recon 4-5 year life for a decent quality battery. Has it got enough fluid in it Steve?
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i thought it was my cd player or boot light or some thing . we 'll see if the same happens to this battery . i hope its not a short as i don't now where to start finding that. the battery brfore the last one lasted years untill the cold had it .

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              I would recon 4-5 year life for a decent quality battery. Has it got enough fluid in it Steve?
              It is a sealed unit IIRC... (Will check)
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

If it's a calcium technology battery they can go funny really quickly with no warning. I had one go on my car recently, it had never shown any signs of failure like sluggish cranking and went completely flat overnight a few weeks back. I drive thousands of miles each month, so I thought I must have left the lights on. After a few hours charging it started the car, so I left home and did 400 miles the same day. Parked it up in th evening and it was completely flat in the morning. Changed the battery and all is well again. The old lead acid units were a little more predicatable than the latest sealed units.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

batterys can fail at anytime weather a month old or ten years old. if the top of the battery is dirty it can loose power due to voltage tracking across between cells. i came across one not so long ago that the current leaking across burnt the top of the battery away. also if a battery is left disscharged the plates in side can start to sulpha up with in a week and that will shorten its life even if you manage to charge it up again the sg will not get as high as it was before discharging. put a amp meter in between the positive terminal of the battery and the terminal that goes to it and see how many amps are being drawn and that will determin if you have something draining the battery
                  never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                    . The old lead acid units were a little more predicatable than the latest sealed units.
                    the lead acid batterys that come on the nissan forklifts i work on are very unpredicatable the driver can start them up fine then stop it sometime later say going for his break when he goes to start it again bang nothing click click click flat battery. when you test them they have a good 13 volts in them turn the key it drops straight away to nothing new battery needed. i come across this at least 10 times a year, must be a fault that is common in that make of battery, by the way they are a tudor make so stay clear, so the lead acid ones are just as unpredicatable.
                    never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

Steve, from what I've read and based on my own experience, battery life can be very variable & batteries with 2 or 3 year g'tees often only make close to that.

In this case I think you've lost one cell short-circuit, hence the 10 volts reading and there's nothing you can do about it.

If you think you're going to keep Anna's car it's worth buying a replacement battery from a reputable make like Varta or Bosch.

John

Comment

Thanks chaps.

I will chuck another battery in it this week and go from there. (About £60 for a reasonable one)
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic

Comment

I've always used Varta batteries, good money and 5 year warranty on the higher end ones

Try Tayna Batteries, good prices and service
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers Alex.
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic

Comment

Old thread resurrection. I went out to start the s2 at weekend and do a couple of bits but the battery has had it. What would people recommend now? Do batteries have a lifetime warranty theses days?

I had a quick look on Tanya the enduroline one looked as good as any with a 4 year warranty. https://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Enduroli...ery-P8383.html

Or

https://www.tayna.co.uk/E44-Varta-Si...078-P7726.html
                              https://www.tayna.co.uk/EA770-Exide-...7TE-P7499.html
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X