propshaft balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propshaft balancing

...I am going to renew the centre bearing and cv's but want to get the shaft balanced too.

Anyone had experience of this already and would recommend someone in the UK to complete the work?

Cheers
    David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Northwest Propshafts - Chorley - 01257 791681

Just done mine for my RS2.

Comment

thanks...any idea on cost?
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I can recommend Dave Mac Propshafts in Coventry and Firow in Cheshire. Cost me £100 to get mine shortened and balanced so it think more like £50 just for a balance
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I used dave mac and was left thoroughly underwhelmed and a little bit angry.

I wanted a balance - no problem and I dropped off my shaft with new centre bearing.

On collection I was faced with a bill for around £230.

They apparently found that both cv joints and centre uj were worn and claimed it was impossible to balance due to the play.

I kind of understand that but with no discernible cv play I was scepticle.

I was told in no uncertain terms I had to pay to get my shaft back and after a LOT of arguing, I did. The new cv joints failed within 3000 miles. Utter utter rubbish and i put on a set of used genuine joints and all was good.

I was miffed for three reasons - they did work I didn't ask for, didn't phone me to consult and fitted joints i suspect eBay china wouldn't even endorse.

Moral of the story - make sure you get the work request written down clearly and don't let anyone pick your parts supplier for you. If I had needed joints like they said, fine but I would have got GKN and lived happily ever after.

Comment

Fair enough. It's true re: the need for decent CVs, bearing & UJ but I'd have been pissed too given your scenario.
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

It's amazing how often the saying 'you get what you pay for' comes true.

During the argument about getting my shaft back they told me the joints were good quality and what they fit to their motorsport customer shafts. Oooooohhhh reeeaaaaally

Comment

True. Can't comment on yours of course but often motorsport joints sacrifice longevity for weight - look at the amount of meat the GKN take out of theirs for example. They wear out quickly. Of course not suitable for a road car!
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

a little off topic, where have you bought central bearing ?

BR
                  Audi Coupe S2 1993
                  Audi V8 4.2 1993
                  Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

I havent...i was expecting them to match to the existing one
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I've used HJ Chard in Bristol
                      The splines on the shaft were a bit knackered so the CV was sliding up and down a mm or so, they welded them up and fitted a new serviceable UJ
                      Can't remember exact amount but was around £230 as above, but this was all discussed prior to any work being done.
                      I had previously fitted an ebay centre bearing, seem to recall he said it was the same as used in the transits and of good quality
                      1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
                      2002 ASZ Golf (Doris' Daily)
                      1997 AJK-G2 A6 Avant Q (In surgery)
                      1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)
                      1994 ABC A6 Avant (Spare)
                      1984 JS Coupe GT (Slow progress)
                      1982 WN Coupe GT5 (Spare)
                      1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)

Comment

I used this bearing after wasting time with an 034 piece (a BMW part number I believe). You need to watch out for some bearings that the inner and outer OD match the stock but if the width is not the same the bearing is 'pulled' a bit at the rubber shroud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-80-90-S...-/272269490942

Just my 2 cents. I had hell of a time with Coupe prop shaft issues last summer.

You shouldn't need to replace those CV ends unless they are really bad. Use a puller and take them off and clean them up. Unless lots of pitting and play in the surfaces, they are probably ok. If you want another 100k KM out of the shaft, well, yes, get the GKN and only GKN ones. They are about USD90 States side.

Don't forget cv joint seals while you are there.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FZY0aQodZgAJEg

Comment

Working...
                        X