This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitive Coupe Water Leak Thread

Following quite a number of threads about leaking coupes, it's about time to bring them together.

Links are -

Newsh's thread - footwell
    twoqu's thread - boot leaks
    Rusty's thread - footwells, blower housing etc.
    Rusty's original thread
    b3robo's thread - sunroof
    nigelm 's thread - window seal leaks
    s2central.net's thread
    Acidburn's matrix replacement thread

Starting at the front of the car and working backwards:-
    • Bonnet cable pull
    • Fuse box seal
    • Scuttle pannel and seal
    • Scuttle pannel drains
    • Blower housing / pollen filter / recirculation flap
    • Heater matrix
    • Door seals
    • Black triangular door / window seals
    • Sunroof seal
    • Sunroof tray
    • Sunroof drains
    • Rear window seals
    • Boot seal
    • Boot trim
    • Rear light seal
    • Number plate holder seal

Please post any more links or places to check below and I'll update the list above, if applicable
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Anyone got a complete list of leaks for the Avant?

Best move I ever made for keeping my feet dry.

Sorry had to be done
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Quite a few leaks avant threads too
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Damn
        Dark Grey Avant
        RS2 FARB
        Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
        Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

forgot to add the one which has afflicted mine a few times, the aeriel base rubber dish/gasket failing

Also the colour coded trim strips on the doors and rear quarter panels can weep if you use a jet washer on them :blush:
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Right i know most of us that own a coupe on here have water ingress but i bet no one has a leak here [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]gearknob 006.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] reason i found this was i used smoke bombs and the only area that leaked smoke was here pic although i have water ingress in both foot wells. the sunroof and the boot and that's with a new sunroof seal and boot seal i can't figure how water is getting inside the boot seal itself through them little air holes I have two brand new door seals coming from Audi tradition at a cost at over 500 euro's so hopefully try and solve the door leaks i already have the door card seals had them 4yrs now and not fitted them ye t I am planning to do them when the door seals arrive.
            Pic three shows the seam on the rear wing has had some damage to it in the past and a poor repair has been done to save money no doubt i did a check on the car before i bought it but the insurance company that paid out would't defuldge any info on the car quoting data protection issues just said it was cat D slight damage. the price of the car was what i would of expected to pay for a Cat D.
            Attached Files

Comment

I've given up trying to stop the water, tried adjusting everything as well as fitting including perfect door seals and new door card rubbers etc but it still finds it's way past the door seals. I reckon I could sort it if I replaced the windscreen properly but body work is not high on my list of priority's ATM.

So for now instead of fighting it I'm going to put some ribbed rubber mats under the carpet upside down and drill drain hole's in the floor pan. Ball's to it!

Funny thing is it only seems to leak when stationery.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

If you've had rear end damage, the seams can leak in after a few years if the sealant has shrunk or was not done properly in the first place.

Second on the C-pillar trims, definitely can leak into the boot, and runs down the fuel filler hose/pipe onto the fuel tank.

I think I have found one more now, and that is the rear corner of the rear quarter window seal, this is manifested as a leak into the boot, as it runs down fuel filler again, and pools under the water bin. It is quite small in mine so not too worried, but will get it sorted sometime

Other than that I am dry

Comment

I have two big puddles in the boot one in each corner and as said that,s after a new boot seal and re-sealing both lights and the black metal thingy, the worst corner is drivers side as that's where the water sits on top of the seal and when you press the seal little fountains of water squirt through the air holes also that's where the car had the damage. The middle reflector also fills with water can't find where it's getting in.

Comment

OK I spoke too soon, went out to the car yesterday evening and found soggy carpet in the passenger footwell

Will be looking at the heater intake and the scuttle drains I think...

Comment

Middle reflector quick-fix: drill a small hole in the bottom corners

Comment

I'm always surprised at how sensitive the door seals are. I refitted mine a few weeks back and it leaked like a sieve, so I pulled out the seat and carpet until I could fix it. Crimped up the seal all along, refitted it in the same way I always do and now there's a tiny trickle that I can almost live with. Very frustrating!
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

OK, so a mouse nest and the rest of it's detritus under the windscreen scuttle is likely to have had something to do with blocking the drain isn't it...

Comment

My pass side door seal let's water in over the shell lip into the cabin side of seal and down inner sill into the pass footwell tried crimping the seal but still getting in. What's best to sort this , replace seal ? Bone dry everywhere else !

Comment

Does anyone know what length of seal is needed for the rear lights?

My friendly local Audi parts man is offering to "give" me some if I can tell him what length I need for each light.

Comment

Working...
                              X