UrS4 2.2T Sedan project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UrS4 2.2T Sedan project

Hi! I'm André from Sweden. I have been a member on this forum for a while now and thought it was time for me to start my own project tread.

The car is a Urs4 -93 2.2T bought in Stockholm when i was about 17 years old (now 25).

The days after i bought it:

The mods when i bought it was dual IC and a modified ecu. I was happy at the time...
    In the beginning of the owner ship i was in school and didn't have the money to do something with the car. But as the years passed and school was done i thought it was time to have some fun with the car. The hours spent on youtube, dragstrip and night events watching quick Audi's I5s and the sound of them really made me want one myself

The first thing i did was to look for a engine so i could drive the car while i was building the new engine. Luckily i found a -95 S6 Avant with destroyed Auto-gearbox for a decent price. Deal!!

I decided i wanted to get rid of the Urs4 stock bumpers and door trims and replace them with the ones from the Urs6. I also wanted the brakes from the Urs6. That took a while to finish but i think it was worth it.

Then it was time to collect some new parts for the engine..

Pistons 81.5

7A-flywheel

Time to start the work on the engine

Disassembled engine

Engine block back from the engine workshop. Bore 81.5 and fully balanced bottom end.

Engine block painted Satin black

Time to assemble the engine!

Block with cleaned oil/water channels

Crankshaft cleaned

New bearings, fitted crankshaft with 12.9bolt to the main caps

Custom Je-pistons with H-beam rods ready to mount (missing one)

Pistons have found their new home..

The head under overhaul, new valve guides mounted, valves grinded, pressure tested, and cleaned.

Head assembled, new lifters, stock AAN camshafts

Thought it was worth a new camsprocket

Stock headbolts was deleted, Arp's mounted in the block.

Decided after some reading on the forum to make me som SPQ-washers for the head.

Decided to sandblast a lot of engine parts to get rid of dirt and old burnt oil..
    Before

After

Some parts sandblasted and base coated.

Parts premounted and with the finished colour.

New oilpump disassembled and put together again

Oilpan with fitted oil "catch"

Stock crankshaft sprocket vs SPM and Tommi's billet. I decided to go with Tommis one.

Torqed the f*cking bolt to 450nm with my home made locking tool.

The head is mounted

Starts to look like a engine again

More parts mounted, everything with ss-bolts and nuts.

Just couldn't put the alternator on like that...

Thats better

So looks like it's time to get it in to the car!

Old vs "new" engine

Before installing the rebuilt engine i decided to do some overhaul to the gearbox, propshaft, subframe and enginebay
    Washed and painted gearbox, painted propshaft with new bearing

Blasted and powder coated subframe fitted with new bushings

Some bushings

Waiting for an engine!

Engine mounted

We got oil pressure!

The car was running the summer of 2014 with stock turbo/ex manifold, stock ecu and so on to verify that it would hold together before i started to buy the "fun" parts!

The car held up just fine, ran wery good. Now it time for the fun to begin

The winter 2014 i started to collect the new performance parts for the build.
    My aim with the build is a fun streetcar with sleeper look. As always i started in the wrong direction of going fast. With the brakes.. I've always liked big *** brakes. Therfore i bought me a set of Brembo 18Z calipers to the front. On the rear i decided to go with Thuppu's brackets for larger discs and stock calipers.

Calipers sandblasted and powdercoated. First yellow, then stickers and then a layer of powdercoat clearcoat. turned out nice i think.

Some bushes to fit the front calipers

Calipers fitted with 350mm discs

Of course my rims didn't fit with the new setup, luckily i found me a nice set of wheels for a descent price.

So that was little about the brake upgrade that i soon will have finished.

Lets start looking at the preformance. I ordered me a little package for christmas

Maxxecu, Precision 58/58, CP-S ss-exhaust manifold and Tial 44mm wg. Hopefully this will make the car run a little quicker

So some pictures of the progress so far of this year!

The beautiful Em

Test mounted

A shame to hide it but..

Beginning to build my 3.5" Dp

3,5" Dp finished

Decided to go with 3,5" about 0,5M after the cat, then it drops to 3"

Winter costume

So this is where i'am at the moment. Waiting for my new alu radiator so i can start building my IC piping.. Hopfully i will have this thing running before summer. I have a lot of work before i can fire her up. But i have god hope and i will write here as i go along with the build. I hope you will enjoy the project!
    Last edited by s0_big; 20 February 2017, 19:09.

it seems very nice..
    I will folow your project ..

Comment

Thanks of sharing.

You make it look all too easy.

Does everyone do motor mechanics in school as a subject ?

Glad you went with a standard grille.

How come you didn't also change the bonnet and the headlights to UrS6 ?

Looking forward your updates and photos, especially the intercooler.

Was there much difference between the old engine and the new engine when they were both standard ?

Thanks again.
      Last edited by macspring; 9 May 2015, 11:07.

Comment

Looking wery good sir Good looking engine!!
        1994 Audi S2 Saloon , , 1996 Audi S6 2.2T Avant , 2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro , 2003 Audi A6 Avant tdi
        X- 90 20Vt q , 3X 90 20V q , S6 plus limo ,2x Audi S6 V8 avant , S2 limo , 200 tq , 200 tq avant ,Audi S4 2.2T Avant ++++++++

Comment

Really nice project! Beautiful brakes. Really nice looking manifold, whos fabricating is it, Furans?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
            Thanks of sharing.

You make it look all too easy.

Does everyone do motor mechanics in school as a subject ? :roll eyes:

Glad you went with a standard grille.

How come you didn't also change the bonnet and the headlights to UrS6 ?

Looking forward your updates and photos, especially the intercooler.

Was there much difference between the old engine and the new engine when they were both standard ?

Thanks again.

Thanks! I like the urs6/urs4 combo look. I think the Urs4 fenders/headlights looks a bit more agressive.

Differences between the engines wasn't big. Alternator Was different, also "diamond" washer on urs6 engine. Besides that i think it Was the same.

Thuppu:
            The manifold is bought from Custom parts service in sweden. I bought most engine parts from them.

Now i'am waiting for Vidar to make me a new custom radiator that is thinner that the stock one so i hopfully can mount a fmic without cutting the front bumper. As i want it to be a sleeper

Comment

I also like the UrS4 lights/fenders more that S6. Like you told, looks more aggressive.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Any videos of the Audi's roaring?

Comment

Congrats for the nice job !

Comment

One of my favorite projects! Keep it coming and congrats!
                    UrS4 "PK Motorsport"

Comment

Another great project Definitely following this one. UrS6 just looks "too round" IMHO, and less aggressive.
                      '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                      '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Sorry, if I was ambiguous, I was meaning how they drove and felt, rather than mechanical differences.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                          Sorry, if I was ambiguous, I was meaning how they drove and felt, rather than mechanical differences.

Thanks.

Blamm0: No sorry, the only movie i have is from first start. And of course i manage to hold my finger on the audio recorder so there is no sound..

macspring: The biggest difference i think was the change of flywheel to from AAN to 7A. Otherwise i couldn't really tell any differences. But with new bushes and engine mounts the car was much more fun to drive than before..

Comment

I was wondering why you left the cam belt covers (back and front) off your nice new engine? Did you know that debris can get into the belt area and cause the belt to either snap and/or jump a few teeth? Either way, the result is engine (head) damage.

Just sayin'

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

nice project
                              S2 limo

Comment

Working...
                              X