Tubular Subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubular Subframe

Did the tubular subframe project ever make it off the computer screen to a version suitable for road use?
    That is to say a version that bolt straight on and uses as much standard stuff as possible.

Yes there is a race version on mine

But people won't pay the costs involved the metrial cost is high because of the quality
    Last edited by terrybullwon; 8 May 2016, 21:56.
    Chef

Comment

Not sure I ever saw a discussion on prices or indeed anyone having a road version.
      I appreciate it was not going to be cheap but unless its a secret I (and perhaps others) would like to know how expensive.

Comment

Also interested
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Stumbled across a price of £1K for the race version from 2015.
          Although not adverse to loosing some OE stuff for something superior, it would still have to have the brackets for all the associated road car suspension to make it attractive to 99% of other S2 Coupe owners IMHO.

Comment

Not at all unreasonable in my opinion. Is that front or rear?
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Problem with the Race one is the amount of re-engineering.
              I want acceptable NVH without replacing any of the components!
              So for arguments sake, non OE bushings would be acceptable as long as there were alternatives such as rubber/poly or solid.
              Whilst I appreciate it was expedient for Audi to just rotate the subframe leaving us with two rotten subframes to deal with, the alternative would have to be effectively a drop in.

Comment

I take it there was no road going version. So lets open it up for discussion.
                What design features would it need to fulfill that particular use. I would prefer something over engineered like BMW E32/34 stuff. Heck even a Sierra 4X4 had as I recall a very nice alloy one!

Comment

Designed to bolt in and accept all stock suspension although as it was originally conceived for James' car as a one off it is dictated around Motorsport use. Fitment uses solid taper mounts which are stainless and bolt into the original locations (iradicates welding necessity) so there is no flex in the mounting bar material elasticity.

As for price I had always worked to £950 inc. VAT as an RRP. This included fitting hardware so diff can be bolted straight in and suspension swapped over relatively easily. The biggest issue with items like this is the division of "want" and "will buy". Not being rude as everyone gets excited over engineered bits but few have a requirement for them or the budget. IF people are genuinely interested in tubular subframes I have the jig setup on workbench still and a box full of machined fittings as they are used on other projects I am involved with so made sense to use generic bosses.

James has some photos of his subframe but his is a true one off as it was prototype then led into development subframe based for his car only.
                  Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                  1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Our Audi S2 Coupe Quattro tubular subframes

link to the shop
                    https://www.akmotorsport.net/product...upe-subframes/

https://www.akmotorsport.net/wp-cont...8/75D_4824.jpg

https://www.akmotorsport.net/wp-cont...8/75D_4826.jpg

https://www.akmotorsport.net/wp-cont...8/75D_4831.jpg

https://www.akmotorsport.net/wp-cont...8/75D_4832.jpg

we are doing T45 tubular frames for EVO and the price always depends on piping used

Last edited by Albert; 13 November 2017, 14:03.
                    AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

They look identical/similar to Momentum motorsports tubular subframe Albert....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Momentum-M...-/221972906983

I only use BS4T45 for subframes, although 15CDV6 is another alternative (again a motorsport specific grade really for framework, linked with Aerospace). Getting correct BS4T45 is key though as many suppliers offer the material as "T45", which is a banded term. It doesnt conform to Aerospace grade without additional certificates for post treatment from the mill. Custom Cages have been caught out by this for supplying chinese sourced material for "T45" cages that was chemically identical but failed to meet structural sampling (25-30% below the minimum Tensile Strength!).
                      Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                      1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Jay,
                        Thanks for the replies. I guess its just that I had never seen any other pictures others than James's or heard about anyone else using one on the road with stock components. I am not being critical, it just that the market would have been larger for a replacement. I appreciate there is alway a couple of nutters!
                        Albert, rust is the biggest problem and thats why most people would be replacing them including myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                          twoqu - why would our want to replace the OE ones other than rust ?
                          I'm guessing that rust is the main reason here in the UK, good used subframes are getting hard to find, especially rears.
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Yes they are similar. But can you reinvent the wheel again ?

We are getting our BS4 T45 to BS4 T100 in UK from recognized provider of the piping, always with proper certificate inc tensile strength values.
                            AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

We thought of doing fronts and rears but the cost of around 1000 GBP for each is not many can afford.

I say getting front and rear subframe in good shape for 500 GBP each is a better idea.

@Jay - did you weight yours (subframe only) ?

Comment

Working...
                              X