Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coupe Quattro B3 and S2 coupe frame differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe Quattro B3 and S2 coupe frame differences?

So I have plans to do a coupe transfer to new frame and Ive had very few options in my area where to get a used coupe quattro frame, one of which is S2 one so the question is, are there any differences in b3-b4(aka typ-89) CQ frame comparing to S2 one?

Ive done some research and so far what I'm getting to is CQ B3 frame is the same as B4 and there shouldn't be any differences in suspension unlike quattro sedan's but other than that is there anything else major I should look into?

By frame you mean body? B3 CQ and S2 Coupe have the same body. There is no such thing as B4 coupe. All CQ and S2 coupes have B3 style rear axle.
    B4 sedan & avant use completly different rear axle.
    1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Cq = S2.

Comment

There are a few subtle differences, but none of them prevent you doing engine swaps as its the same basic shell. Transmission tunnel is slightly different between 3B and ABY models due to 6 speed box and different cats. Battery box under rear seat in ABY's, and there was some bracing added under the rear windows to tie into the rear wheel arch on later aby shells.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Is the transmission tunnel wider in 3b than cq? Or is pretty much the same?

Comment

Yes it is wider on the S2, there is also a brace on the S2 tunnel and the steel is thicker. The ABY shell has some additional strengthening as Mark said, which accounts for its extra lard over the CQ / 3B. Fundamentally though, all the S2 goodies are bolt-on.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks for the answers, Will probably stick with B3 shell.
              But what about suspension, I suppose mounting holes are the same and subframes are different or do both S2 and CQ share same subframes?

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Yes it is wider on the S2, there is also a brace on the S2 tunnel and the steel is thicker. The ABY shell has some additional strengthening as Mark said, which accounts for its extra lard over the CQ / 3B. Fundamentally though, all the S2 goodies are bolt-on.
                Your rear subframe won't have a RARB(my 1989 7a CQ didn't), both 3b and Aby S2s have RARBs...otherwise the same.
                Your b3 front subframe( i'm presuming you have an I5 engine ) is same as 3b S2....but different from Aby S2....

Comment

Originally posted by mackenzie50 View Post
                  Your rear subframe won't have a RARB(my 1989 7a CQ didn't), both 3b and Aby S2s have RARBs...otherwise the same.
                  Your b3 front subframe( i'm presuming you have an I5 engine ) is same as 3b S2....but different from Aby S2....
                  1990. and over, do have RARB.
                  1990 2.2 20VT Audi Coupe Quattro
                  *Hx35/k26, MaxxECU, Wagner EM/IC *RS2 Recaro *4pot-Brembo *3" turboback *Treser *Koni/H&R
                  1990 Audi 200 20v Avant 2.2 20VT *7 Seater *Full electric gizmos

Comment

I was actually about to post couple of questions in regard to subframes ie
                    Will six speed box from rs4 0a3 or 2.7 bT fit to cq or 3b frame? Or is it a matter of mounting brackets?

Comment

2.7bt box is 01E. Same as Aby box. Yes it fit to cq and 3b subframe with spacer under left side mounting bracket. Rs4 box I don't know about the brackets.

Comment

0A3 box is very do-able but requires quite a lot of custom work - check out my CQ project for all the details
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Will do mate. As far as I can remember there's 100 pages so I'll have something to read before I get my books.
                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X