Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not so lof of difference between flywheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so lof of difference between flywheel...

i have two flywheels, one from coupe 7A 20V & another one from 90Q 2.2 kv B3 1988,
    there are not so big differences between them, so i guess it's easy with milling shop to "copy" the 20v 7A one uh ?

what guys do u think ?

Tof
    sigpic

how much are machining costs vs a second hand 7a flywheel?

Here in the USA it would probably cost you more in labor than it would to buy a new flywheel. are you replacing because it is missing the reference pin?

Comment

really i dunno actuall y the cost but in my working job, one part of our customers are milling shop so i guess i can have some good price or so ;-)

i'm not really replacing, just i was suprised the part number was the same even if themetal are not exactly the same
      but you're right about the pin, there are 3 broken ones (2 long & the little one the other side) but i suppose it can be pull off with this tools isn't it ? i know Audi sale the pin separately
      sigpic

Comment

It's rather known issue. The easiest and cheapest way to source SMF is to get it from B3/B4 NG/KV, late 100(44) RT/NF or C4/C6 AAR. It will only lack timing pin. You'll have to install it yourself. There is also possible a rare sort of luck to source such flywheel with timing pin: I would not believe if I had not find one in '88 B3 NG saloon myself when breaking.

NM/7A would have very similar FW with timing pin. I also came across info that different 20V N/A EMS-s (2-plug ECU and 4-plug one) have timing pins in slightly different positions on their flywheels. That may be an issue.

Both up-mentioned FWs weight much and would need lightening and re-balancing for tuning.

Good option is S2 3B flywheel. It has different casting and is much lighter from factory.

But it seems heavy indeed when you take into a hand a FW from 200 3B. It's a feather! But this FW is for 016 tranny and needs wise adaptation for 01A/01E so effort to install it to our cars may be not economically advisable compared to NG/7A FW lightening.
        Last edited by _ShurikeN; 7 December 2016, 15:25.

Comment

Thanks for this info

i continue to pick up parts for my GTQ AAN conversion in the future, so wanna use if possible 7A flywheel to keep my budget as low as possible, i'll keep the GTQ gearbox
          it's ok isn't it ?
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X