Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coupe windscreen replacement in the South East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe windscreen replacement in the South East?

I am going to have to get my screen replaced due to a chip which has now changed to a huge crack...
    After reading many many horror stories about this, I will be getting the rivets to supply to whoever gets the job...
    It will be done on insurance, but has anyone got any recommendations for where to get it done in the South East of UK?
    I know I have to stick with the insurers approved company, which I think means Autoglass....
    I can have them come to my house, or go to their premises, either of which I am happy with, but would rather travel to a depot which has done one before and done it well....!!!!
    Thanks for any advice...
    Chris
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Believe teh one in Coventry has done a few after speaking to them myself and done it well, a freind of mine with a coupe E has just had it done a few weeks ago and the work was fie from what I saw, and they used all the rivet holes too, also filling the holes with silica seal to prevent leakage into the car...(but I did tell them to make sure they did that !!)
    Dark Grey Avant
    RS2 FARB
    Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
    Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

had mine done by RAC windscreens in cambridge

Comment

i really would watch them do it mate - after seeing the fecking mess someone had made of mine (had to reseal it due to minor flooding in the car) its not something that is done properly unless by an experienced fitter .... rivets are a standard size BTW, no need to go to the stealer and pay £1 each
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Mine was done by AG in Crawley. They picked the car up and delivered it back. (disconnect WGFV )

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks fellas.....
            I am beginning to get sleepless nights worrying about this one, but hopefully it will be ok....
            Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, I am in exactly the same boat. A chip has turned into a 4" crack which will no doubt be across the screen before very long.

Let me know how you get on please.

Cheers,

Steve.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                Hi Chris, I am in exactly the same boat. A chip has turned into a 4" crack which will no doubt be across the screen before very long.

Let me know how you get on please.

Cheers,

Steve.
                Sure will, but not back in UK for a couple of weeks yet, and MOT due in Feb. so wanted to start looking for a place now....
                I am guessing I might try Newshs place, as I will not be far away from there....

Comment

I am playing the waiting game too!

I *might* not get it done until next year. MOT in March....

Best of luck when you go for it. I will let you know if I book anything.

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Me too. I bought the car with a big crack in the screen and i've had this at the back of my mind to be concerned about when teh car is running. Almost sorted now so time to worry about windscreens. How much is it to get the screen done out of your own pocket? I'd prefer to get it done under insurance of course. I can insure the car without MOT but dunno if I can get the screen done straight away (pre MOT)
                    hmmm
                    This doesn't seem to be a happy experience for most people. The result can be fine but the stress thinking about it seems to be a buggr.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    1990 CQ20v
                    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Jeez man,
                      I thought you at least might just get on and do it yourself, morning to do the reshell, just enough time left in the afternoon to do the screen...
                      Seriously, sounds like its 500 quid or so if you pay for it.... and even then, you still have to find somewhere you trust.....
                      Chris

@Steve, hmmm, my MOT is due before yours.... thats not good... Mine will be done late December first week Jan. at the latest..... Watch this space....

Comment

haha. yeah, if it was up to me to do the screen the car would never see the light of day.
                        1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
                          How much is it to get the screen done out of your own pocket?
                          Six years ago, £586 fitted by monkeys at RAC auto windscreens on my old 2.3e Coupe.
                          This year £50 excess on my insurance fitted by the spot on head screen fitter at Autoglass in Middlesborough. When asked in interest on how much would it have been for cash, around the same at £590. Something that's not gone up with inflation

See my horrible stressed thread >>> Here

Jas..
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

ho lee she it! almost 600 quid? Hope I can insure the car and unfortunately suffer from a cracked windscreen straight away. If the car is insured but not MOTd would they cover the windscreen if I said I hit it with a plank of wood I was carrying or something? As opposed to it happening on a public highway?

50 quid excess is the way to do. doesn't count as a claim though does it?
                            cheers
                            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
                              ho lee she it! almost 600 quid? Hope I can insure the car and unfortunately suffer from a cracked windscreen straight away. If the car is insured but not MOTd would they cover the windscreen if I said I hit it with a plank of wood I was carrying or something? As opposed to it happening on a public highway?

50 quid excess is the way to do. doesn't count as a claim though does it?
                              cheers
                              It doesn't count as a claim, though I don't know who you are insured with so best read the small print of your policy just to be 100% sure.
                              I paid £50 excess but that also varies with different insurers. Both times I've had this done, both glass companies would not come out and do it, the car had to go to the depot. With that I mind, even though I don't think having no MOT will make any difference to your insurance company (can they check this?) it means you'll have to take the car to the depot and that means using it on the road with no MOT.
                              All the glass company want to see is your insurance policy and your excess which you pay directly to them.
                              A bit of a catch 22.

Jas.
                              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Working...
                              X