Red S2 avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red S2 avant

Hi, i thought i would get round to starting a build thread on my S2 avant. Some of you may know the car. I bought it of the forum from StevenEK9 at the end on october. This is my first audi and i have been wanting a 5 cylinder turbo for age's but have always had money and time spent on other projects. I am on stranger to car forums and i am a car enthusiast of many different makes and models. I currently have rover metro track car and a couple of BMW's and a couple of bikes.
    my metro (money pit):

one of my BMW's :

As soon as i seen the audi up for sale i knew i couldn't pass it up.

cleaned up after it trip back down from Aberdeen to its new home in dumfries:

since buying it i have had a few problems but nothing out of the ordinary for a car this age. First it was a struggle to select gears in it so i stripped the shifter down.

the shifter bush was worn. I checked with audi and the have stopped making them. I was going to modify the one i have but i think i will just buy one of the 034 solid shifter bushes.

The next thing was the throttle stuck open. The problem turned out to be the throttle cam cable holder had snapped.

I was going to order a new one but thought it looked like a rubbish design so i modified it and weld on a metal replacement.

I have another few jobs to do on the car like front strut tops, diff bushes prop shaft joint but i will get round to them.
    I was going to keep this car as is but i have already got use to the power and will be looking at tuning next year once i have all the chassis up to scratch.

More updates to come soon of the chassis work.
    Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 10:00.

Nice car , you can still get a new shifter bush at Audi Tradition shop

http://trshop.audi.de/konakart/Quick...711334&x=0&y=0
    5 Cylinder Freak

Comment

A nice addition to your fleet.

How mad are you planning on going power wise?
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by hermanio View Post

Thanks, i will give them a try.

I'm not sure what power figure yet. Its meant to be 280bhp just now. I was looking at fitting a wagner exhaust manifold, 3" down pipe. The turbo thats on it is a k24 with a billet wheel on it. Not sure if it worth trying to get more out the current turbo or just going for a GTX2867R or a GT3071R. Any recommendations?

Comment

Im it going to offer any help (because Im not clever enough), but I will follow what you do with the tuning.
          I am currently pondering the same as you.

Comment

Originally posted by hermanio View Post

I got one of these from here and it's still in its box, wasn't in a rush for it but it arrived about 4 days after making the order, quality!

Welcome Andy BTW nice line up of toys

Mike.
            1998 A6 Q (Suzie)
            2 x B4 80's both 1993 (Heather & Hazel)
            1995 A4 1.6 (Heather II)
            1999 A6 Avant 2.4 (Bollie)
            2001 S6 Avant 4.2 (Rio)
            1995 80 Cabrio 2.6 (Gracie)
            2013 Q7 Flooded & gone
            1995 RS2 2.2 Flooded & gone

Comment

Originally posted by Dift View Post
              Im it going to offer any help (because Im not clever enough), but I will follow what you do with the tuning.
              I am currently pondering the same as you.
              I knew very little about tuning these engines and still don't know a great deal. This forum has been very helpful though!

Originally posted by fourwh33ldriv3 View Post

I got one of these from here and it's still in its box, wasn't in a rush for it but it arrived about 4 days after making the order, quality!

Welcome Andy BTW nice line up of toys

Mike.
              Thanks, my temporary fix is beginning to ware off so will get one ordered up!

Comment

I agree, I've spent the last 2 months reading guides and threads off here.

Comment

I've been enjoying the car on some local roads since my last post. This was taken on the dalveen pass near abington:

I had a day of work and have been doing a bit of work this week. After a run up to Edinburgh i noticed that the passenger side rear wheel bearing was noisy and that there was a knocking noise from the same area. I ordered a pair of FAG wheel bearings and got the car on the ramp:

here's my tools of choice for removing the bearing. 2X sockets and a mash hammer. Worked a treat:

I then pressed the bearing into the hub and pressed the axle in. The knocking noise turned out to be the upper arm inner bolt was loose. I nipped it up and it was fine. Sorry, no photos of pressing the bearing and refitting the hub. My hands were manky and i was in the zone!

The rear propshaft coupling has been knocking since i bought the car. I ordered one of ebay and got fitting it. I read you had to remove the exhaust for this but i decided to remove the centre and rear hangers and lower the exhaust on the transmission jack to get access:

This allowed me to remove the heat shields ,centre bearing bolts and the 6 coupling bolts. Once i dropped the shaft it was easy to see why it was knocking. The bearing was dry:

I then cleaned the input shaft face ready for re fitting:

new joint fitted and torqued up:

The car back on its wheels and headed out for a test drive:

Its quiet again and with the propshaft bearing fixed it drives so much better. I think the next job on my list will be a clutch. Not sure yet what to go for. Will need to do a bit of reading. I have ordered the parts to make a short shifter and will post up when i have that done.
                  Last edited by andy j; 16 October 2019, 10:07.

Comment

Nice when a job goes to plan!

Did you mark the eccentric lower bolt to retain alignment?

What are your future plans power wise? (for clutch options)

Where did you get the prop joint from?

Nice garage setup

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Andy that's a damn nice S2 you've got and your other motors are canny!!

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        Nice when a job goes to plan!

Did you mark the eccentric lower bolt to retain alignment?

What are your future plans power wise? (for clutch options)

Where did you get the prop joint from?

Nice garage setup
                        Thanks, my dad is just retired and started a bodyshop and restoration business. The bit is a bit of a tip just now!
                        Yeah, i marked the bottom bolt before removing it. The more i have been reading the more power i am thinking. My friend has 450bhp honda integra i would like to keep up with. Would an RS2 clutch do the job? I don't mind buying an uprated one just for the sake of once its fitted it fitted. I would like to aim for 400-450bhp i think.
                        I got the joint from ebay:
                        http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191401229514...ht_16080wt_986

Comment

That is handy for you then

I am going for a SRE clutch (Sachs Race Engineering) they are well proven. Southbend get good write ups as well (and use the SRE 707 plate).

Thanks for the joint link

Are you going to stay KKK turbo or go for something more modern?

I have RS2 spec just now but have a new turbo for 450ish on its way.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I'm planning on giving the car abuse. Track days and the odd bit of drag racing. So an uprated clutch might be a good option. Do you have a DM flywheel and if so are you keeping it going to the SRE clutch? What sort of price is in one of them?
                            Unfortunately, i know what I'm like and i will end up chasing power. Thats how my metro ended up the way it is today. I want to go for a power level I'm not going to get bored of. Still unsure of a turbo. I like the idea of a gtx3071r.

Comment

I have a 3B, so single mass flywheel. You can get a 3B flywheel, or a 7A and get it lightened if you wish. Lightweight aftermarket options as well.

SRE do an ABY dual mass clutch, no idea on how it will put up with serious abuse?

I think single mass has less to go wrong.

SRE is about 500.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X