1993 URS4 Avant tidy up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 URS4 Avant tidy up.

Hi chaps, thought it was about time I posted some progress on here.

Last year I sold my V8 coupe project as it had reached tipping point and was just too far gone for me to see the finishing line.

It has lived on in parts, the bare shell went to QuattroDan who ironically also bought my S2 from me about 6 years ago now. The engine and turbo parts went to Add who is cracking on at a fair pace getting it all put together in a fresh shell. Looking forward to seeing it running. Pretty much every last useful part of the car has been sold on to be used in other projects, and I made enough back to buy something else to tinker with in the garage. I've 2 kids under 4 now so don't have time for a full on project, but plenty to get stuck into on this.

It's Difts old car, and I believe has been owned by a few others on here.

Current set up is RS2 turbo, Wagner manifold, Bosch big green injectors and prj stage 3 software on AAN ecu. It goes pretty well to be fair, but theres a few bits that let it down and stop it being enjoyed properly.

I think most of it is down to the car having been stood dormant for some time.

Biggest issues were the exhaust, which was completely rotten from the cat/downpipe flange back, and the suspension, which was quite barge like.

I have a 3" downpipe which im currently fitting and will be making a suitable system for, and the front suspension is getting an over haul with new arms, bushes and shocks throughout.

Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

If you are making your own exhaust system, DO NOT skip the middle muffler/resonator. Those that do soon regret it based on the 70 mph drone that results.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Yeh thanks Dave, it won't be a full 3" system either. The back box is actually in good nick so I'll be re-using that, along with a fairly large centre box. I'm hoping the change in diameter from 3" into 2x2.25 will help to keep drone down too, and I've a smaller 3" box I can add in later if it's too much for cruising, but I quite like a bit of noise anyway, this isn't a daily driver, it's something to thrash about in and enjoy without drawing too much attention.

One of the first things I actually did was replaced the engine mounts as the usual turbo side mount had collapsed, I replaced them with the solid 034 items I had in my coupe which improved things massively. Before the clutch engaging/disengaging caused serious seismic events through the car from the engine rocking back and forward. Only downside is lots of noise, which I'm hoping to take some of the edge off with some thiokol sheet between the mounts.

Also on the go is a front brake overhaul. Chris (dift) supplied me with a brand new set of discs and pads for the front, the rears having been done with new calipers only a few months before.

On tackling what I thought would be a couple of hours evening job I can see why they didn't get done. (No offence Chris, I know you didn't spanner on the car personally)

One of the brake pad retaining screws had had it's head completely stripped and ended up having to drill that out, and on the other side one of the slide pins had completely seized making removal almost impossible. So I've got the calipers off and I've bought a service kit to reseal then after getting them blasted and painted. I managed to free the slider off once the caliper was removed and it's cleaned up alright along with the bore so still good to go.

Also changed a CV boot that wasn't far from tearing while I have the front struts out.

Latest diverter valve fitted too, 710P I think it is, old one didn't hold vacuum and had started to get louder and after reading macsprings thread on such, I just ordered one anyway.

Will get some pics up when there's anything interesting going on, but it's all pretty boring stuff at the minute, just parts.

Also on the list of things to do for the mot are fuel lines. I salvaged the cuprinicol ones I made for the coupe but I'm considering using flexible lines for the feed and return, and just using the hard line for the vent. Undecided yet, I don't have enough from the coupe to redo them all in hard line, so need to buy something anyway. We'll see what happens when I dig in.

First gear is noisy on it too, and eventually I'd like to swap in the allroad tdi box and south bend clutch I had for the coupe. But that means procon ten delete as well so not so straightforward. In the meantime I've sourced a new slave, release bearing and pilot bearing for when I'm feeling brave. Not sure how much more this gearbox will take at rs2+ power anyway so probably not too long.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
        If you are making your own exhaust system, DO NOT skip the middle muffler/resonator. Those that do soon regret it based on the 70 mph drone that results.
        Agreed, after great expense and effort took my 3" system off my S2 Avant and went back to oem, with very little if any performance drop.

Comment

You may think your update is boring, but I find it fascinating and informative. I recall when Dift had the car and when the car was for sale.

It re-emphasises that with these cars you need to be able to do the majority of the spannering yourself.

Glad the bypass post was of help.

Ironically, the additional boost has caused another original boost hose to develop a split. The last one was the Michelin man and I think this one is the exit from the turbo.

If the car is a keeper, try Bilstein and H&R springs.

I used 29800 which I think are for an older C3 saloon ? so maybe the older equivalent for a C3 Avant ?

Dave should have a comment that will help re the H&Rs ?

I presume the 034 engine mounts were the street density rather than track density ?

I'm thinking oem C4 I5 diesel engine and gearbox mounts, I presume they fit, and also that they are a slight bit stiffer than the eequivent 'petrol' mounts ??? I don't yet know !

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post
            But that means procon ten delete as well so not so straightforward.
            if it was like the coupe then its not too bad once the box is out and if you have an angle grinder, just cut the cables and pull them back through and remove the stuff inside, just make sure you cover the holes left behind.

Comment

Latest diverter valve fitted too, 710P I think it is, old one didn't hold vacuum and had started to get louder and after reading macsprings thread on such, I just ordered one anyway.
              I just changed my diverter valve yesterday for the latest version the 710P as the older version 710N has been superseded.My original one was completely inconspicuous in that it was well behaved and working well but the new valve has given me moore boost in the lower RPM range so well pleased with it.
              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
              96 URS6 plus speck estate
              94 2.6 80 Avant
              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                You may think your update is boring, but I find it fascinating and informative. I recall when Dift had the car and when the car was for sale.

It re-emphasises that with these cars you need to be able to do the majority of the spannering yourself.

Glad the bypass post was of help.

Ironically, the additional boost has caused another original boost hose to develop a split. The last one was the Michelin man and I think this one is the exit from the turbo.

If the car is a keeper, try Bilstein and H&R springs.

I used 29800 which I think are for an older C3 saloon ? so maybe the older equivalent for a C3 Avant ?

Dave should have a comment that will help re the H&Rs ?

I presume the 034 engine mounts were the street density rather than track density ?

I'm thinking oem C4 I5 diesel engine and gearbox mounts, I presume they fit, and also that they are a slight bit stiffer than the eequivent 'petrol' mounts ??? I don't yet know !

Cheers.

I've actually got bilsteins to go on the car, the fronts are already built up waiting to go on. Just waiting for some more maintenance and go faster bits to arrive before it goes back together.

I think the car was actually on factory sports suspension, I haven't checked the part numbers of the springs yet, or the build tag to be fair. I'm not looking for a drop so not going to go down the h&r or eibach springs route just yet, I'll see what the ride is like once it's back together on these springs with the bilsteins. I thought the front shocks were knackered, but when I pulled then out they were in fact koni sports. I don't know if they were just on their softest setting or had blown but I could move then fairly easily by hand, but they were a long way off being wound fully stiff. I'd already bought the Bilsteins anyway at a good price so wasn't fussed, and in comparison they are solid, barely compressing with my weight.

While I had the struts out ive given them a bit of a clean up, derusting and painted best I could without removing the hubs and getting them blasted. The wheel bearings were fine so couldn't justify the extra effort and expense.

It will be going back together with the new shocks, Alberts extra front castor mounts for the arb along with poly bush, new outer arb bushes, new lower arms with standard rubber bushes and balljoints, new standard top mounts and bearings and waiting for new tie rod ends to go on along with new adjusters. One tie rod end had loads of play in it which would explain a lot of the vagueness which I thought was just a chassis trait. Should be like a complete different car when it's back together. Also got Thomas's solid front subframe mounts while it's all apart as the rubbers were mushed.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                  I just changed my diverter valve yesterday for the latest version the 710P as the older version 710N has been superseded.My original one was completely inconspicuous in that it was well behaved and working well but the new valve has given me moore boost in the lower RPM range so well pleased with it.
                  Ah, well done mate, I'm glad that recommendation helped

We'll get to your boost leak test one day when the weather improves! I just sent Jannis the bungs to do his car again..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                    Ah, well done mate, I'm glad that recommendation helped

We'll get to your boost leak test one day when the weather improves! I just sent Jannis the bungs to do his car again..
                    I'm probably not leaking anywhere as she goes very well but just want to check it to know for sure.
                    Thanks John!
                    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

With all those changes and upgrades and with the oem springs, it should be well tight and ride the bumps much better. Mine was / is.

You'll be pleased with the Bilsteins. They are quality.

Are the coloured 'dots' of paint still visible on your springs ?

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                        With all those changes and upgrades and with the oem springs, it should be well tight and ride the bumps much better. Mine was / is.

You'll be pleased with the Bilsteins. They are quality.

Are the coloured 'dots' of paint still visible on your springs ?

Yeh I can't wait to feel the difference, if it corners as well as it goes in a straight line I'll be a happy bunny.

Forgot you comment about the engine mounts, they are actually the solid billet aluminium and delrin one from my coupe, so pretty knarly. I can live with it, but the missus and kids aren't such fans. I'm going to sandwich a layer of rubber sheet between the aluminium base and felting hat see if that takes the edge off. And for the gearbox mounts, they look a bit saggy too, I'll a dress that when I get the gearbox out for the swap later down the line, but I may just fill the voids with some suitable goo.

I'll check the pns/dots on the springs when I get home later.

Interior needs a bit of love too, drivers seat bolster is shot, and headliner sagging. There was a chap who said he had a full set of leather seats for it in difts for sale thread, those would be ideal but I can't get a hold of him on here. I may have a go at redoing the headliner, but it doesn't bother me for now, rather concentrate on getting it driving again.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Forgot you comment about the engine mounts, they are actually the solid billet aluminium and delrin one from my coupe, so pretty knarly. I can live with it, but the missus and kids aren't such fans.
                          I think you'll do yourself a big favour with them inside by looking to change over to new oem engine and gearbox mounts. I appreciate they'll cost, but you want your family to enjoy go in the car rather than dread it. You're no longer single.

After all the car is not a track slag. See what the front snubber is doing, if the metal cup is narrowed / filled in to give less movement of the standard rubber snubber it will help movement without the harsh NVH.

I appreciate you already had the stiff mounts from previously, but I think it'd be worth your while.

Febi or someone may do oem style without VAG prices.

Just my tuppence, please ignore as you see fit.

Comment

Aye duly noted, it's actually not that harsh, it seems loudest on the overrun at high revs, which doesn't happen very often with them in the car lol. I'll see how it is with the rubber sandwich. Could probably sell them on if I get bored of it and buy some proper oem ones with the money back.

Subframe mounts have turned up today, ARB mounts hopefully in next few days then I can get the front end back together. Hopefully dropping the calipers off at the blasters tomorrow after work to get cleaned up, and picking up the downpipe from a friend who's sorting the wastegate merge for me as I threw the towel in lol.

Going to look like this, then I can get the rest of the system made up in the garage.

Going to check the springs later on, and taking the rears out for the same treatment.

Attached Files
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

This solution is the easiest fabrication-wise but it is the worst flow wise:

This is the one you want - good flow characteristics:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                              X