Coupe Rear Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe Rear Calipers

Where's best to get some refurbished or new? Anyone got some going spare in good condition that I can rebuild? Expecting one of them to be borderline for the MOT despite a recent stip, clean & grease...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Rear Caliper rebuilding PNs and DIY

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    Where's best to get some refurbished or new? Anyone got some going spare in good condition that I can rebuild? Expecting one of them to be borderline for the MOT despite a recent stip, clean & grease...
    In case you have to rebuild your's, I think the seal kit is 8D0698671. Item 16 (Girling) here:

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou...615-615060/#16

Which show up on eBay.uk as:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AU...-/331751765381

There is also this rebuild DIY: http://www.20v.org/brakere.htm

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Hi,

About 4 or 5 years ago I made an interesting discovery about the rear calipers on my CQ20v.

I needed new ones and started trawling for rebuilt or new items and prices ranged anywhere up to a ridiculous £193!

I would have to dig out the paperwork but i got a pair of Audi A6 FWD rear calipers and fitted them. I found from many hours of trawling through remanufacturer / supplier websites that they had the same part numbers and lo and behold they fitted and have been on working fine since!

the best bit was, when i bought them i paid around £45!

At that price, why buy seal kits and mess around when you could have a nice shiny freshly electroplated caliper instead?

Comment

I have just found what i posted on another forum at the time (2012), this has links and part numbers to help. I was wrong though, it appear it was A6 quattro not the FWD as I originally said.

--------------------------

Some useful info for Coupe and 90 Quattro owners. both 10 and 20V with 38mm diametre piston GIRLING type calipers.

My CQ20V just failed on weak handbrake and when i say weak, it was actually 0%, i knew something was amiss and thought i'd let the tester diagnose which side it was.

cue hunt for new O.S.R caliper...

TPS - £197 exchange Shocked
        Halfords £153 exchange Shocked
        Unipart £108 Confused
        Ebay £68 but not in stock Rolling Eyes

I then did some research and found a brilliantly comprehensive online catalogue at www.brake-eng.com and worked through it for hours trying to find what cars the cq may share parts with.

It listed CA1195R (OSR) and CA1195 (NSR) for my car and these appear on the back end of various A6 quattros 1991-97, the 90 1987-91 and the A8 FWD 2.8 and 3.7 1994-2002!
        Back onto ebay and found Autopartswharehouse listing exactly these 'CA' part numbers from brake-eng on their site for £43.95 and £5 P+P each! I got a pair and the best bit is; if you want to send the old calipers back you get £15 refunded to your accout per caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
          About 4 or 5 years ago I made an interesting discovery about the rear calipers on my CQ20v. I would have to dig out the paperwork but i got a pair of Audi A6 FWD rear calipers and fitted them. I found from many hours of trawling through remanufacturer / supplier websites that they had the same part numbers and lo and behold they fitted and have been on working fine since!
          The CQ20v rear caliper PNs are 853615423AX (right) and 853615424AX (left) - someday somebody will explain why rear calipers always seem to break the convention that odd number = left and even number = right.

Anyway if you go to Ekaterina and ask her about the cross overs to other cars (by clicking on the (i) icon beside the PN, you will see several C3, C4, B3, B4 and D2 applications

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou.../615-615060/#1

Last edited by UrS4boy; 5 May 2016, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
            The CQ20v rear caliper PNs are 853615423AX (right) and 853615424AX (left) - someday somebody will explain why rear calipers always seem to break the convention that odd number = left and even number = right.
            On small chassis audis (S2, CQt89, B3Q) these calipers are mounted in front of the rear suspension axis.
            On big audis, sharing these calipers, (44,4A,D2) they are behind suspension axis and changed right-to-left. This disposition was considered to be default by some reason.

Comment

£68+vat exchange

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
                On small chassis audis (S2, CQt89, B3Q) these calipers are mounted in front of the rear suspension axis. On big audis, sharing these calipers, (44,4A,D2) they are behind suspension axis and changed right-to-left. This disposition was considered to be default by some reason.
                Thanks very much. I see what you are saying now:

853615423AX = left rear caliper on a 1992 ACOQ (as an example)
                http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou.../615-615060/#1

But 853615423AX = right rear caliper on a 1993 non-AAN/ABH C4 100q
                http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+100...in=undefined#1

Unfortunately, it doesn't explain why a 447615423 is a right rear AAN/ABH caliper unless the C3s mounted their calipers differently too.

Learned something anyway.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 6 May 2016, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                X