Touching up Miss Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touching up Miss Cooper

I should start by saying I'm not 100% sure when or why I decided to call my new car Miss Cooper. Maybe Coupe-Cooper.. erm.. I dunno. But anyway that's what it's called for now.

It was originally French and ened up in the UK several years ago. From the service history it seems to have stayed on its French registration for quite a long time while it was driven in the UK. Lots of dealer service history and 1 lady owner. It seems to have been garaged at a point and changed hands to a dealer in Wales. It was advertised on here, bought and then I ended up buying it off ebay at a higher price. But that's business and I'm not complaining. Wish I had seen it when liste don here but anyway... doesn't matter.

I bought it and had it dropped off to Kit a good year ago and he was kind enough to do some work on it for me and store it while I was so busy I couldn't spare the time to come over and get it. Eventually I arranged to have it trailered to another friend in Germany so it arrived there a couple of weeks ago. I arranged my travel and flew over on Friday last week to get it.

I had a day tinkering in my mate's workshop (he restores cars to a scary level of detail including replicating the original part markings, including overspray and brush marks) so I had good company.

image by Miss Cooper Audi CQ20V, on Flickr

The original seats had been abandoned in Wales and I sourced rear black leather seats and front MK3 Golf recaros separately. Kit fitted the rears when they arrived at his place and the Recaros went in the tow vehicle, so Steffen (the German friend) fitted them before I arrived. He basically moved the seats about on the frames and refixed them straight so they wouldn't be wonky. They sit a bit high but to be honest the driving position is totally fine for me at 5' 10"/177cm. I would like to consider putting them on original frames though so the height can be adjusted. They are great seats and very snug. Definitely not for the wider ars3d driver though Pictures to follow.

I also had a 1 on 1 polishing & restoring lesson with a rotary polisher, which was friggin brilliant. Most of the paint work is good, with just a few chips here and there, but the bonnet has a bad dose of "orange peel" effect. So Steffen showed me how to work on it and the patch we did is about 80% better. So at some point (probably spring) I will dedicate some serious time to the paint. A few places definitely need some paint though so I'll be leaving that to the professionals locally.
    Steffen swears by this product and insisted that I throw away whatever I have at home (and gifted me a bottle because I may not be able to get it in Finland).

He also used this on top and swears by it. I should be able to buy it easily enough though.

So anyway I left on Saturday evening, drove to Travemunde in North Germany and took a 29 hour ferry to Helsinki.

Then had a set of Hakkepelita 8 studded tyres fitted and drove north for 7 hours (including a few stops to piss/grab tea/stun teenagers with the sound of a 20v 5 pot). Weather got a bit interesting half way but calmed down again nearer home.

The main thing is the car is mechanically sound. It handled the pissing rain in germany and the slush and snow in Finland no problem. I overtook at speed on the snow and ice without filling my pants so that's a good sign.

I have quite an epic task list ahead of me, including some bits and pieces that I need to buy so if anyone can help with advice or any of the actual parts please give me a shout.

I have considered at times that I'm an idiot for spending quite a bit of cash and time getting this car but aside from an S2 it's the coupe that I need to have and I've only seen one for sale in finland in recent years (it was an American spec with huge bumpers). I plan to work away and get the car into a shape i'll be proud of. There will be a few non-standard mods but I'm doing this to have a car I want to drive, not to restore it to factory spec.

More later....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Noel -- Wis ther nae a wee song aboot this motor ?

Soopa Coopa beams are gonna blind me
    But I won't feel blue
    Like I always do
    Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you !
    02 A3 1.9tdi 130 sport quattro

Comment

Good work Noel! 7A is a lovely car and it looks like you've got a goodun mate, keep it OEM Plus and it will hold it's value and be reliable.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

haha. Sandy, I think that's exactly how the song goes, aye

John, thanks. Yes, it's not perfect but the main things are solid and the rest I will tinker with over time.

Took me a while posting again because I seem to be suffering from a virus or something that I picked up on my trip. But I can focus and breathe now so that's nice.
        1990 CQ20v

Comment

OK.. off the top of my head here are some of the issues/jobs that need attention:

Locks - currently I think they are all different. The ignition barrel had no spring return so kit changed this for me while it was in wales, along with the starter which was knackered because of the aforementioned ignition barrel thing. So I have a full set of locks to put in at some point. But I'm considering a set from a final edition cabby with HAA folding keys. thoughts anyone?

Wipers - Rear seems to have a life of it's own. stops at the top or part way down again. maybe just a relay or is this more likely the motor? The fronts seem to work OK 99% of the time but on the long drive there were a couple of occasions when they stopped in the wrong position.

Interior lights - the switch has fallen off the front panel (I'll need a new one) and I haven't tried poking about yet to see if that's the only issue or the bulbs have gone. Basically there are no lights in the front or back. Boot is OK though.

Hunting - from cold start it's hunting a bit but once the car is going it doesn't do it again at idle.

Thermostat - probably the most urgent job to do. The car is running cold so the thermostat needs replacing. On the run across Germany and Finland it was sitting around 70 degrees. If the car sits idle it will get up to temperature OK. Given that Finland is just going to get colder I'll need the thermostat working properly. Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular temperature and/or specific part?

Indicators - don't cancel when I turn a corner. I'm not sure if the stalk connectors need cleaned or more likely there's a pin in the boss that's broken or missing.

No live to diagnostic connector - my friend tried to connect manually to the 2x2 connectors using info I found online but maybe it was wrong because he said he heard a click from the fuse box. we couln't find any fuses blown although I wasnt able to check the thermal fuse/fuses under the dash. but he couln't find a 12v feed after that.

Door cards - I have front cabby door cards in leather to fit, which I think need some kind of minor modification. The rears were binned, although I salvaged the leather from the bolster parts in case there's some way I can use them to replace the cloth trims in the original rear door cards. Won't be easy but I'm not sure if or when I will find rear coupe leather door cards otherwise.

Wiring - there are a couple of dodgy plugs under the steering column (there was a hose clip attached to the steering column for no discernable reason that I removed. I can only assume some idiot attached wires to the column at some point). So I will need to address a broken plug and a few random connections. I'll also be removing a dodgy immobiliser that's thankfully disabled but is still flashing away a red led.

Front indicators. The lens parts was hanging off the reflector on one of the white indicators so I swapped them both for spare ambers that I had bought as spares. I'll see if the broken one can be repaired but I think there's probably a crack right across it so it will need to be replaced. If anyone has spares let me know.

Steering wheel - a 3 spoke that I bought to replace the original 4 spoke (eugh) but it has seen better days and I'll probably need to pick up a better one. The stitching is fine but the leather just seems discoloured or worn.

Seats - are fitted well enough for now. Steffen moved the seats on the bases so they were level and straight. They suit my height OK but maybe having original bases that are height adjustable would be better.

Head unit - a basic Pioneer CD head unit. radio reception is awful. I have a much nicer Pioneer to fit with ipod/iphone connection and at the same time I'll investigate the radio reception.

Clocks/VDOs - rev counter seems a bit sluggish. Clock LCD is buggred. And there's no autocheck. is that what it's called? Like the S2 has. Did all 20v quattros come with it? Anyway, I think I need a new set in km. Or a new rev counter, clock and computery bit in the middle (sorry - i'm a bit rusty). While I'm doing this would plasma gauges be worth considering? Like these
          Oh yeah... the oil temperature doesn't seem to be reading right. i'm sure the oil is hotter than the VDO reading. Most of the bulbs have gone there too. What bulbs do I need when replacing and can I use LEDs? I'll need them for the A/C and vent controls too.

Left rubber door trim needs replaced (my driver's side. UK passenger's side).

Windscreen needs replaced. Has quite a few chips and white down one side. is that air bleed? Anyway, I can see out of it but i'll need to replace it at some point.

Paint - A few dings and scratches that will need painted. The bonnet has some serious orange peel but Steffen gave me a lesson in 1200 grit wet & dry and machine polishing so I hope I can replicate what he has done on a couple of patches.

Service history - I have loads of service history and the car seems to have been well serviced in the UK for a few years but the wad of paper has gotten slightly damp on one side So I can't see the dates and prices for most of the work, which is frustrating. Especially when I can see the timing belt was changed but can't see the date! I will contact the garage and see if there's any way they will tell me but i'm not sure if they will do that.

I think that's it but I'm sure i'll find something else. It's kind of disturbing to write out a list like that and still hold onto the belief that I've bought a good car
          1990 CQ20v

Comment

Almost forgot the clutch. it's a bit... digital. or short. I can live with that but there's a bit of a clunk. Even if I'm cruising along and take my foot off the accelerator suddenly there's a clunk as the engine brakes. Maybe it's an engine mount or something? Kit changed the diff mounts for me, which I believe made a big difference because it was worse before.
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

Hello Noel,

Originally posted by Nj View Post

Wipers - Rear seems to have a life of it's own. stops at the top or part way down again. maybe just a relay or is this more likely the motor? The fronts seem to work OK 99% of the time but on the long drive there were a couple of occasions when they stopped in the wrong position.
              In my 10valve the rear wiper was the wiring in the rubber between the tail gate and the body.
              Cable cores were just held together with the insulation.
              Also had a similar problem as you in the front, I remember stripping down the stalk switch and cleaning the contacts and it was all good again.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Worth stripping the stalks as Steve says, Alex did a good how to

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56375

I would suspect the little plastic cancel tabs are snapped rather than the rotating one on the steering wheel.

I would just get a OEM thermostat.
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

This is still up and runnin Noel
                  http://20v.org/
                  Handy fur refreshin yer ain heid afore haein a wee bit o a mecomical stramash !
                  02 A3 1.9tdi 130 sport quattro

Comment

Originally posted by bunyoch View Post
                    This is still up and runnin Noel
                    http://20v.org/
                    Handy fur refreshin yer ain heid afore haein a wee bit o a mecomical stramash !
                    Cheers bunyochayethenoo, good site for info that.

Comment

Steve, Andy & Sandy - cheers. I'll use Alex's write up to strip the stalks apart this weekend and see what state the contacts are inside.

Andy, where are the plastic tabs located? Presumably on the inside end of the indicator stalk?

Steve - the tailgate trims will be coming off too so I can get the wiper motor out, check the connections and see if there's any crap gunking it up too
                      1990 CQ20v

Comment

I had a break from.. pretty much everything over xmas and new year while I went with my wife and boys for a big family get together. But I'm back again to get stuck into these various jobs.
                        I started with the thermostat and engine heater (which a friend had sourced while I was away). Thermostat was a pain because of the radiator and A7C radiator but I got there in the end. But broke my power steering cooling hose, as pictured. I'm trying to find a part number now because it's a lot easier for me to order that than describe what I want in Finnish and end up collecting a totally different part in a few days time

1990 CQ20v

Comment

As per the other a bit of pipe, hose and jubilee clips will get it mobile again.

Is that red power steering fluid? It should be green audi fluid.
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I managed to fit a temporary solution last night but I didn't get a photo because it was about 01:00, cold and I was in a bad mood when I finished. The reason for the bad mood wasn't the p/s cooling pipe. It wasn't even because I snapped a tab off one of the headlights taking it out (possibly for the first time in many years). It was because satan designed the defa engine block heater so that you need to fit the "T" shaped screw into the frost plug hole and then slide the heater onto it. Half an hour later, covered in cold coolant I gave up for the night. Back to it tonight thought. I'll post photos to show what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, the pink liquid in the p/s hose is coolant andy. the hose ended up on the floor when I pulled the old thermostat out so I had a good mix of p7s fluid and coolant all over the place
                            1990 CQ20v

Comment

view of centre (number 3) frost plug from below. I haven't taken photos but there was no room for swinging hammers to chisel it out so thankfully a friend lent me the proper tool. it fits into the slight recess of the frost plug, you tighten a nut, which expands the lugs out to grip the frost plug, then an "n" shape metal bracket goes over the top and you tighten another nut to draw the frost plug out. Then you get covered in coolant because draining it the day before from the bottom of the radiator doesn't get the 10% still in the engine

this is the block heater and cable. I'm not sure yet where to install the plug. When I let a garage do my A4 when I move dto finland 6 years ago they just drilled a hole in the lower bumper and stuck it right on there. thankfully I changed to an s-line bumper soon after and refitted it subtly into one of the fog light grills.

1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                              X