Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 vs B4 front wings

Hello Lads

I'm trying to fit a S2 front bumper to my B3 and finally get the ol' girl out for a proper shakedown, but the front wings do not properly align where they meet the bumper. Did the B4 front wings have more flare to them versus the B3??

Cheers
    Attached Files

Yes, B4/Coupe/Cabrio wings have more flare.

Comment

Yes B4 front wings have a flared arch, also the wheel arch is slightly further forward than B3.
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
        Yes B4 front wings have a flared arch, also the wheel arch is slightly further forward than B3.
        Hrmmm...Along with every other parts bin swap experienced in this project, this would not be a simple PnP solution I presume??

Comment

As it's a saloon, you need B4 saloon or avant wings, as coupe/cab will not fit.

No idea if it's direct fit but plenty of people have done it, so it must be possible
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You can flip the ball joints from left to right to move the wheel position forward a bit. BTDT, but I'm running a 3.5" exhaust so when I flip the ball joints, the tie rod hits the downpipe...
            Always a cascade!
            http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/minipitt1/

Comment

If you run B4 arms and the later spec balljoints, then 2.5 degrees of castor is possible. You need offset top and subframe mounts to get higher. I run 4.5 degrees or so.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by 90/90qs View Post
                You can flip the ball joints from left to right to move the wheel position forward a bit. BTDT, but I'm running a 3.5" exhaust so when I flip the ball joints, the tie rod hits the downpipe...
                Always a cascade!
                I flipped the front ball joints on my Coupe & ended up with about 6 degrees of caster. The axles fouled the frame where they pass thru the chassis. The stock 205/60/15 sized tires rubbed the front of the wheelhouse liners. The wheel sat noticeably forward in the front wheel opening. Also sat a bit lower in the front too. But it did "stick" better in a corner.

Ended up using offset front subframe bushings & with the ball joints back in their proper position I had about 4 degrees of caster.

Recently heard of people swapping the hub carriers to gain tire clearance at the front. There would be no change in caster as the upper & lower suspension pivot points will not have changed. This would also have the calipers swapped to a leading rather than trailing position. Maybe something else to try.

Chris
                "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

http://www.edition38.com/forums/inde...owtopic=116996

Comment

I fabricated the b3 bumper ends into an s2 bumper

This is what I did to mine in 2007 because of the following reasons from memory
                    Arches were different so b4 arches are wider
                    Side mouldings would no longer fit because the wings on b4 are shorter in distance between arch and door that's why wheels are no longer central

Comment

I did not realise the B4 And B3 Coupe wings were different. I have a rotten B3 Coupe with good wings that I was going to use on a Cabriolet, is vagcat/epc wrong as it comes up with the same part number for B3 and B4 wings, 895821105D/106D?

Comment

I think coupes are all the same as they're neither a B3 nor a B4 by a Typ89C (I'll be corrected there) and it was only the bonnet and lights that were updated rather than the whole front end, like the saloon. Not sure on a cab... The B3 and B4 relates to the saloon and saloon/avant respectively.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Ah, got ya, thanks for that.

Comment

Yes, as I understand it the coupe wings are all the same flare, pretty sure cabriolet also.

This is the reason why B3 80/90 wings do not fit on B3 coupes, and also why the wheel offset between the 80/90 and the coupe is 45 and 37

Comment

Hi.
                              One friend have changed the bumper on his 90NM.
                              Only put the guides and the V6/S2's bumper goes
                              photobucket SUCKS
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X