Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight stalk issues

Hi Guys

Need some help please.... Strange thing has happened to my headlight & indicator stalk and speedo today.

Ive been away for two weeks so the car has been sat in the garage. Got the car out today for some use and when i put the right hand indicator on it wasnt working properly. The left one works fine! I then switched the headlight stalk to on and the High beam on light on the dash comes on, the right hand indicator dash light comes on and the speedo stops working. If i switch the lights back off everything goes back to normal... Switch them back on and it all dies again. If i come to a standstill, and put the right hand indicator on it works fine... Bit stuck and confused as to what this could be. (Car is the S2 avant)

Ive tried putting contact cleaner in the stalks and moving the stalks around abit to see if this cleans the contact points but it hasnt helped. Anyone had this happen or anyone able to shed some light as to what I need to look at etc?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Chris

Try this mate

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56375
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks Alex. Hope that's the issue. That will be one useful guide and as always perfectly logged by you Alex. Most appreciated!

Anyone any other suggestions for me to have lined up as next course of action? I've gained access to the earths above the bonnet release so I can give them a quick clean up. Is it worth looking at anything on the back of the clocks or is there a relay on the fusebox anywhere worth looking at?
      (Just trying to get all my ducks lined up so I can try shoot them all in one go or as close to lol)

Cheers

Comment

So after having read Alex's thread I decided to fit a new stalk assembly to try to solve the issue rather than rebuild the stalks as knowing my luck I would break them more lol. I have got a brand new stalk and fitted it and the issue is still there.

Any other suggestions guys? Any earth points anywhere I need to check or any relays?

Cheers

Comment

Does sound like a earth issue. Check the stalk connector also and the earth posts.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks Alex. The stalk connector? Where's that located buddy? And where are the earth posts? I've found one above the bonnet release handle, is there another somewhere?

Comment

Progress... After each step ive done ive checked to see if it's resloced the issue...

I checked the earths above the bonnet pull, no resolve.
              Put contact cleaner in the block on the back of the stalks, no resolve.
              New stalks (as said before), no resolve.

Pulled out the clocks and wiggled the connectors and hey presto it's working properly! Obviously it's not fixed as in the real sense of the word but it's working. Question time again though guys, as I wiggled all the connectors on the back of the clocks I don't know which is the one that fixed the issue so can anyone point me in the right direction of which one it's more likely to have been?

Thanks

Comment

Ok so this morning ive got in my car to use it and its raining meaning ive had to put the headlights on. Guess what??? Yup, messing around again, the same as in post 1 of this thread. Ive had no option but to flick them on and off as im driving to make sure im doing the right speed etc. Oddly after about 15 minutes of driving ive flicked them on again and they are working normally as if nothing is wrong. I dont remember any bumps or anything that could have shifted the wiring to a position where there is nothing causing an issue... So annoying and strange.

Suggestions anyone? Ive got a feeling as I say, its the wiring connections behind the speedo.....

Comment

Anyone any suggestions at all on which plugs to look at and what to do with them?

Comment

Working...
                  X