Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with heater

Hello,

I'm Niels, living in Belgium and the proud owner of a audi S2 3B coupe. After a bit of work (new timingbelt + water pump, boost hoses, thermostat, knock sensors, porsche 996 front brake upgrade, ...) it is time to take a look at the heater problems.

It's a digital airco (klimate control) and when you put it on, the fresh air blower always go on max speed. After I removed the hand glove box, my eye felt on a non original relay.

foto relais.jpg

It looks like the previous owner had a problem with the speed of the fresh air blower, because they make it always go on max speed.

Is there a known problem with the old type of climate control?
    Here's a picture of the type of climate
    foto interieur.jpg

Could it be because of the foam on the flaps are complete rotten? When I installed the boost gauge i found pieces of foam. And when I put the heater on 27°, it's not very hot air that comes out of the ventilation holes.

Thanks for helping and here's a picture of the car !
    foto 3.jpg

Good old memories with that climatronic

Regarding the temperature, check the inlet and outlet hose in the engine bay, they should both be hot.

About the speeds, I believe that the issue should be that the resistance module (iirc is over the heating box) should have failed, and the previous owner made a crappy fix.

Ill try to find any images that can explain what I mean.

Comment

The hoses in the engine bay become hot, so i think that there's no air in the circuit. And for replace that resistance module, do you need to remove the heater box? Thanks a lot for helping with this !

Comment

Originally posted by nielsl View Post
        The hoses in the engine bay become hot, so i think that there's no air in the circuit. And for replace that resistance module, do you need to remove the heater box? Thanks a lot for helping with this !

There you have it, part number 12.

I think you dont have to remove anything more than the glovebox.

Comment

I couldn't find the resistance module, where it suppost to be, is on my car an alu box that's holden by 1 screw. But when I losen the screw, it looks like the box is going to fall in the heater matrix.

foto's alu.jpg

Are you sure this is the same matrix that sits in my car? It's strange that the connectors for the resistance module are not in that area.

Comment

It looks like the control module is gone and only thing you have left is the heat sink. The wiring has probably been cut off to fit the non standard relay after the control module died. What kind of wiring goes in the blower?

Comment

I couldn't find the resistance module, where it suppost to be, is on my car an alu box that's holden by 1 screw. But when I losen the screw, it looks like the box is going to fall in the heater matrix.

[ATTACH]61259[/ATTACH]

Are you sure this is the same matrix that sits in my car? It's strange that the connectors for the resistance module are not in that area.

That aluminium part is a heat sink for the resistance iirc. Anyway, looks like has been modified and that's why you cannot find the cables.

I'll try to find you an image of how it should look if stock.

Comment

Could it be the red box like i found on a picture of an other matrix?
                Climate-1.jpg

I think i found the same on ebay (http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/AUDI-80-...IAAOSwkx5XEJ3S)

Looks like there are only 3 cable's on this resistance, on the electrical schedule are 4 cables connected.

Naamloos.png

Comment

Does someone have an S2 coupe 3B engine with klimate control? I would be thankfull of you can show me a picture of your heater matrix, especially from your resistor (and connector). Thank you !
                  Last edited by nielsl; 4 January 2017, 22:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Annecy View Post
                    That aluminium part is a heat sink for the resistance iirc. Anyway, looks like has been modified and that's why you cannot find the cables.

I'll try to find you an image of how it should look if stock.
                    Do you know the part code of the resistor? I allready went to the audi garage but they weren't able to help me with that.

I guess that's an other resistor than the heaters that are manually operated. And probably also different than the airco in the younger audi s2's (with aby engine)

Comment

Do you know the part code of the resistor? I allready went to the audi garage but they weren't able to help me with that.

I guess that's an other resistor than the heaters that are manually operated. And probably also different than the airco in the younger audi s2's (with aby engine)

Sorry, I missed your reply.

you wont find a lot of info about 3b vs ABY klimatronic here as UK cars where fitted mostly without them.

I had a 3B, I rebuilt it, and after few years I converted it to later ABY style klima, so I messed with it a bit

The 3b klima looks like this:
                      http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou...820-820015/#12

Its vacuum operated, and the part you are looking for is 893 820 523 B

The ABY one looks like this one:
                      http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+cou.../8/820-820020/

and the servos are electric ones.

I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                      X